late staurday hunt

• shore shinner
    Eau Claire Wi.

Went out for most of the day on saturday and was hunting about a 2 mile chunk of woods, creek bottoms, and fields. set up around the creek first calling with a hand call (raspy coaxer) about 25 minutes later I gave up there then I went to a solid hardwoods island and tried for a while. This time I tried a mouse squeker first 10 minutes then ended with the rabbit call. no luck. later in the day I tried a differant and a lot bigger field that I haven’t tried before well with the hurtn’ rabbit I caught movement way to my left and I mean way to the left. so I picked up my binocs slowly and by this time I was already going into convulsions thinking that it was a coyote, but it turned out to be a gobbler. then I sank back down and watched with my binocs about 400 yds away 9 turkeys run around a corn field. Well maybe later on it will come last night I just got a fox pup squeler, since I’ve been seeing quite a few fox tracks but till next try.
    Shore Shiner

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

It has been slow going around here lately as well. I just got in from trying to call tonight. We only made 2 seys in two totally different areas and setups. The first set was in an open field bordering the hardwoods. We used a grey fox pup call on the e-caller with no luck, except for the owls. We then went to some public land that is all wooded and lowland swamp. I got out the hand calls here, Primos jackrabbit, with no lucj except again the owls really liked the sound . My Primos raspy coaxer finally took a dive and died the other day . I really liked that call so now I need to find another one. We also tried calling a couple days ago right after the big snow storm and didn’t see anything then either. Sooner or later they will start responding, I hope sooner rather than later.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

It has been slow going around here lately as well. I just got in from trying to call tonight. We only made 2 seys in two totally different areas and setups. The first set was in an open field bordering the hardwoods. We used a grey fox pup call on the e-caller with no luck, except for the owls. We then went to some public land that is all wooded and lowland swamp. I got out the hand calls here, Primos jackrabbit, with no lucj except again the owls really liked the sound . My Primos raspy coaxer finally took a dive and died the other day . I really liked that call so now I need to find another one. We also tried calling a couple days ago right after the big snow storm and didn’t see anything then either. Sooner or later they will start responding, I hope sooner rather than later.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

The conditions for yotes are getting better and better. The deeper the snow, the more they’re looking for an easy meal. Not only that, their breeding season is coming up, if it hasn’t started already, and that always makes them a little more curious. Good luck, I hope to get out this weekend, report if I do.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

The conditions for yotes are getting better and better. The deeper the snow, the more they’re looking for an easy meal. Not only that, their breeding season is coming up, if it hasn’t started already, and that always makes them a little more curious. Good luck, I hope to get out this weekend, report if I do.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I went out in west central MN on Saturday and Sunday of this last weekend. Saturday, I called in 3 coyotes in the early AM. Two in my first setup and one in my second setup. I hunted alone in the AM. Poor idea! I got busted on the first setup and I just could not coax the dog in on the second. I pounded out a very long shot though and made the ‘yote jump 3-feet straight up in the air before it bolted – hauling off at 40 MPH! The first two came in together,….. downwind of course. I saw them coming but could do nothing by myself. A partner would’ve been able to bag each though. Many other setups, but that was it for the weekend. I saw lots of deer on each setup and two racoons that I could not shoot due to location (in soneone’s driveway at 5 AM – not good). Anyhow, there was a lot of hunting pressure too – lots of guy’s out. The weekend got worse in the PM on Saturday as the snow melted and the fields became black mucky dirt. My white camo is no more!! It’s also hard to see’em with no snow cover. Oh well, I had a blast anyhow and I’ll be back at it once it snows more there. If not, I’ll be waiting for the March crow hunt. ….Boy are there a lot of crows out there!

Splitshot

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I went out in west central MN on Saturday and Sunday of this last weekend. Saturday, I called in 3 coyotes in the early AM. Two in my first setup and one in my second setup. I hunted alone in the AM. Poor idea! I got busted on the first setup and I just could not coax the dog in on the second. I pounded out a very long shot though and made the ‘yote jump 3-feet straight up in the air before it bolted – hauling off at 40 MPH! The first two came in together,….. downwind of course. I saw them coming but could do nothing by myself. A partner would’ve been able to bag each though. Many other setups, but that was it for the weekend. I saw lots of deer on each setup and two racoons that I could not shoot due to location (in soneone’s driveway at 5 AM – not good). Anyhow, there was a lot of hunting pressure too – lots of guy’s out. The weekend got worse in the PM on Saturday as the snow melted and the fields became black mucky dirt. My white camo is no more!! It’s also hard to see’em with no snow cover. Oh well, I had a blast anyhow and I’ll be back at it once it snows more there. If not, I’ll be waiting for the March crow hunt. ….Boy are there a lot of crows out there!

Splitshot

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Check out the crow threads! Get some info going around about it.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Check out the crow threads! Get some info going around about it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.