Did some scouting today

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Well I got the new rifle sighted in this morning and decided to check out some land I plan on coyote hunting. The place was loaded with coyote and grey fox sign, as well as quite a few oppossum tracks , I thought they would be denned up. We found a lot of scat full of hair on the logging roads. We tried a few calling sets, but the wind was really picking up making it a little difficult to get the sound to carry very far. We a re going to hit it early tomorrow morning if the wind isn’t howling. There is so much land around it is hard to decide just where to start. The area we checked today was a wooded marsh area that I am positive we are going to get a coyote or hopefully a grey fox

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

What caliber do you shoot for coyote? My family has always used .222 caliber for fox hunting because of the accuracy. My dad had a buddy that used a .22/250 which seemed to work OK but would tear up the fox hides too-much for my dad’s liking. I think it all has to do with the type of bullet more than the gun. I know of guys that use .223 to 30/06 calibers for coyotes. I did buy a 5mm rimfire many years ago which is just slightly bigger than a .22 magnum. It was accurate but the ammo was expensive and not everyone carried it. It was a great varmit gun but I ended up trading it to get another .222. We used to reload all of our .222’s ourselves but my dad sold his .222 and reloading equipment a couple years ago so now I have to buy my ammo. I am thinking I will get out this coming weekend and try to call a couple coyotes into range. It will be too-cold to fish.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

What caliber do you shoot for coyote? My family has always used .222 caliber for fox hunting because of the accuracy. My dad had a buddy that used a .22/250 which seemed to work OK but would tear up the fox hides too-much for my dad’s liking. I think it all has to do with the type of bullet more than the gun. I know of guys that use .223 to 30/06 calibers for coyotes. I did buy a 5mm rimfire many years ago which is just slightly bigger than a .22 magnum. It was accurate but the ammo was expensive and not everyone carried it. It was a great varmit gun but I ended up trading it to get another .222. We used to reload all of our .222’s ourselves but my dad sold his .222 and reloading equipment a couple years ago so now I have to buy my ammo. I am thinking I will get out this coming weekend and try to call a couple coyotes into range. It will be too-cold to fish.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am using a Savage .22-250 and shooting Winchester 45gr JHP shells. I don’t know what kind of damage this will do to a fox yet. My buddy has a .17HMR that might be a better round for fox. I am guessing we will call in more coyotes than fox, so went with a little bigger firepower . I will agree that the .222 are a great gun and are very pelt friendly . I hear ya on the too cold to fish . That was my thinking also. We are going to hit it pretty good the next few days.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am using a Savage .22-250 and shooting Winchester 45gr JHP shells. I don’t know what kind of damage this will do to a fox yet. My buddy has a .17HMR that might be a better round for fox. I am guessing we will call in more coyotes than fox, so went with a little bigger firepower . I will agree that the .222 are a great gun and are very pelt friendly . I hear ya on the too cold to fish . That was my thinking also. We are going to hit it pretty good the next few days.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Have you guys ever hunted over a bait pile? Lots of guys I know use deer carcasses or contacts beef butchers and use the remains.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Have you guys ever hunted over a bait pile? Lots of guys I know use deer carcasses or contacts beef butchers and use the remains.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I like Nosler solid base bullets for my Sako .243. You get a nickel sized exit on a lung hit.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I like Nosler solid base bullets for my Sako .243. You get a nickel sized exit on a lung hit.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Blue-I myself have never hunted over bait piles. Are they hunting them at night, or calling them during the day? I was just reading the WI regs and found a surprise. For fox and coon, you may use a light at the point of kill at night, but not for coyote You cannot use a light to look for any of them, so night hunting is going to be tricky
    Tom-I have not seen any Nosler rounds for a .22-250, where did you find them for the .243? If they are only leaving a nickel size exit hole, that is awesome. What grain bullet and type you using? If I can find them for my .243, that would make an excellent round to use when hunting in strong winds and longer range shots. The .22-250 is a great caliber but is easily affected by wind.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Blue-I myself have never hunted over bait piles. Are they hunting them at night, or calling them during the day? I was just reading the WI regs and found a surprise. For fox and coon, you may use a light at the point of kill at night, but not for coyote You cannot use a light to look for any of them, so night hunting is going to be tricky
    Tom-I have not seen any Nosler rounds for a .22-250, where did you find them for the .243? If they are only leaving a nickel size exit hole, that is awesome. What grain bullet and type you using? If I can find them for my .243, that would make an excellent round to use when hunting in strong winds and longer range shots. The .22-250 is a great caliber but is easily affected by wind.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.