Possum

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

Tonight I had a big ugly possum under my bird feeder.

Anyone got ole granny clampetts cookbook?? rotflol

Pat K
    Empire, MN

We had 75 acres of hubbard squash planted around our place a couple of times. We were overrun by possums for a couple months when they ripened. When the weather would get cold they would move on. They liked to chew off the weather stripping on the bottom of overhead doors for some reason.

grizzly
    nebraska

They sure are ugly. Better than having a skunk there. Lol

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

We’ve had a couple as educational animals.
    They are dumb, blind, ugly and extremely stinky.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Oh not this one.

Attachments:
    1. 2ea317338861f792be050afa1420983a-bus-living-george-jones.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^^^^ rotflol nope!!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

We’ve had a couple as educational animals.
    They are dumb, blind, ugly and extremely stinky.

waytogo not to mention they got the personality of a crabby old ex-wife!!!!!!!! doah

i live trap rabbits occassionally to keep them from raiding my garden. 2-3 years ago i got a young possum in my live trap…….its pushing up daisy’s. but yea ugly, and the friggin teeth on them.

Iowaboy1

Watch out Glenn!!!

Attachments:
    1. just-fer-ole-57.jpg

ThunderLund78

I’ve heard they’re pretty tough to kill, they can take a beating. They also eat a lot of ticks. My mom and dad have a couple of indoor/outdoor cats and my mom often puts their food out on the porch when the weather is nicer and they’re outside all day. A possum sometimes joins the cats at the food dish and the cats could care less. I wouldn’t say they get along, but I think the cats know it’s a losing fight so they just tolerate the possum. Kinda funny.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve heard they’re pretty tough to kill

Odd, I found that a single .22 dispatches them very quickly.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We had one in the back yard a couple years ago that I wanted to dispose of, but my daughter said it was cute and I was to leave it alone. shock

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They dispose pretty easily from a single shot of .22 or .17 subsonic.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

They do eat hoards of ticks. I guess I don’t mind them. I guess I’d rather have a possum hanging around than raccoons.

When I was growing up, my aunt and uncle had a little 5 lb pooch named Ralphie. One day, Ralphie found a possum in a window well and went in after it. Ralphie survived after a few surgeries, but barely. doah

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is one My buddy rooster got just down the road from me. They don’t keep records in MN, but it is the biggest recorded in the Midwest

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230228_074802_Messages.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

They do eat hoards of ticks. I guess I don’t mind them. I guess I’d rather have a possum hanging around than raccoons.

When I was growing up, my aunt and uncle had a little 5 lb pooch named Ralphie. One day, Ralphie found a possum in a window well and went in after it. Ralphie survived after a few surgeries, but barely. doah

i live in town and havent had a tick in ages hear……..now iffin they eat ticks up north at the cabin i’d then leave it be. but there messin with my garden……… smash smash smash

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Here is a big road kill we clipped a couple week ago from the same area the other pig came from

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3631.jpg

Dan
    Southeast MN

After shooting at least 7 raccoons last summer that were getting into everything my wife really wanted me to let the possum that showed up this winter be. He doesn’t seem to be much of a bother.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We’ve got a resident one that meanders behind the house. The girls think he is funny so he’s gotten a pass so far. Last week he was up in a tree behind the house as my 3 year old was throwing a fit about being scared alone in bed. We shined a spotlight on him and he fell out of the tree. She instantly got the giggles and it made going back to bed much easier.

Raccoons have caused way more problems over the years for us. None of them get a pass. I’ll go out of my way to stop what I’m doing to dispose of them anywhere on the property at any time.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Holy crap BC them things are huge!

I shoot em. They don’t eat enough ticks to put a dent in the overall tick population.
    The problem with Possums is all the bird nests and eggs they destroy. Any ground nesting bird has every predictor looking for an easy egg meal. Fox get a pass from me but not them toothy critters. They’ll rip a dog apart if cornered.
    I shot 1 last year that had 6 little ones clingy to its back. A good open pattern shotgun and took care of all 7 in one shot.

Umy
    South Metro

This is one My buddy rooster got just down the road from me. They don’t keep records in MN, but it is the biggest recorded in the Midwest

Holy CRap!!! I had no idea they got that at big?!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The ones around here eat good and are a menace. They all get disposed if we find them. Same with coons.

Attachments:
    1. 123_11.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Dang dude that is a giant coon and I had absolutely no idea possum got that big either.

Red Eye

Aren’t possums the number one carrier of rabbies too? One more reason to dispose of em.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Aren’t possums the number one carrier of rabbies too? One more reason to dispose of em.

They are in our area like no other. They love our chicken coops. And for that reason alone, they get terminated

KP
    Hudson, WI

Those things are freaking huge Bearcat! I had no idea possums got that big!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s not a possum! That’s a PIG!

Stanley

When our neighbors got chickens we started getting possums by our place. I use a live trap then .22 to dispatch them but they crap all over the trap and stink so bad I have to wash the trap out between sets.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Good lord those are some massive furbearing animals.

My experience with possums is that their vision is pretty awful. I have seen them eating bird seed on the ground and you can almost walk right up to them without being noticed.

big_g
    Isle, MN

You guys sure your .22 is dispatching them ? They will play possum you know…. doah chased rotflol (ask me how I know)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.