New Comer/Thanks/?

• beno
    St. Paul

I’m new to this forum and wanted to say thanks for all of the great information and discussion. I have recently discovered the beauty of fishing the river from a trip to pool 4 during the winter and fishing pool 2 (Hidden Falls)near my home. I never knew we had such an awesome fishery so close to home. The purchase of my first boat should make for a fishing paradise minutes from home.

If I launch from Hidden Falls are there certain types of structure/shoreline I should look for to find some fall ‘eyes? Any help to this river neophyte would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for a great forum!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Hi Beno, Welcome to the site…..

On the upper end of pool 2, look for areas where the current is pushing hard into or out of a bend in the river. Also key are areas wher the current turns around and runs upstream along the shore. Find an area like this and fish the “Seam” in between the two current breaks….there are usually fish in those seams.

Right now we need some rain to get the water level up and current moving along…. Tough bite for me lately

Good luck with the new boat!

Jon J.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Beno,

Welcome aboard and glad to have you here. Lets just say you live near one of the best pools on the Miss river that I have ever fished for walleyes. Looking for fall technique’s or presentations? As fall sets in, we will be seeing the bite really heat up starting as early as mid to the end of September, so its not too far off. The top 3 miles of the dam has a ton to offer most all of us anglers. For starters, look to the dam area for a consistant all around bite this fall, but more importantly look for the current break areas down riverfrom here and fish them with crankbaits, jig/plastics, livebait rigs, etc… all these will put fish in the boat for you. Basically most all patterns that you have used before will also apply to the fall here on Pool 2 for both daytime and night time fishing opportunities. Look for the bite to heat up in the next few weeks to come and expect it to last all the way through in to December. I fish exclusively Pool 2 starting the beginning of October and continue through April . Have you ever had the opportuniy to fish the middle or bottom half of Pool 2 before? The wingdams are clearly the choice for consistant big fish options in these area as the start of the wingdam concentrations begin near the St. Paul airport.

Good luck to you and welcome aboard again!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Welcome to the site Beno.

Gator hunter

beno
    St. Paul

Thanks for the great info and tips. I’m getting twitchy when I think about getting on the river. I hope to get out a few times this next week. I don’t want to be reading about the bite when it starts, I want to be on the water.

I have check out the areas around the airport and farther South. I think it will just take some time to be able to identify the wingdams and other areas that hold fish. Last time I was on the water was Labor Day and it was a bit busy.

Thanks Again.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Beno— I have been twitching since last fall passed. I made it out with DeeZee on a few trips in late November… and the HOT action was starting to trail off. We still caught fish, mind you…. but I can only imagine what its like when you hit it from the beginning. Ohhhh….. like those guys…. I can’t wait!

If you want a guy to show you the ropes on Pool 2… DeeZee is a good man to book a trip with. Money WELL spent!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.