If you had $40K to spend….

• Backtroller
    North Dakota

What Deep V and towing rig combo would you go for. Glass or Tin, 4×4 or 4×2, F+ord or chevy etc etc it does not matter but consider this:

Wife and kids need transport (occassionally)

Need to be able to get to several lake during the summer

and the James Holst Commemorative stretch of the Miss in

Winter. (Not sure but I think the Govn’r is renaming pool 4)

Sort of a fun post but I would like to know what your thought process is behind the decision. If you choose a Crestliner over Lund then , why?

PS, Anyone got an extra 40K they can part with?

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

If money were no object, I can tell you the boat I would have. Yarcraft 1895 DC or DSC. I fished with a relative from Michigan who brought this boat with him. WOW! We crossed pool 13 near the dam in 25-40 mph winds, huge swells on this 2 mile wide stretch of river, and I don’t believe one drop of water hit me. Very nicely laid out boat, and good for family as well. I don’t know what the price tag would be, he would not say, but I don’t think it would leave a lot for a 4X4 to tow with. I would not consider a 2 WD vehicle for towing any distance in the midwest, especially in winter! Personally I’d pull it with a Ford Expedition, but I think I would have to double your budget to buy both new! All I can do is dream! Maybe when I retire. yeeeehaaaa! 15 more years!

No Yarcraft dealer in my area so I have no real idea what they cost, but judging by what I saw, it is a real quality boat and I’m sure carries a real quality price tag! Just my pennies worth!

Rooster

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Man, when did things get so expensive? It seems like the 40K price tag would either buy a dream boat OR a dream truck to haul it with, but not both. Any answer I give is bound to set off all the ford/chevy, merc/omc, jd/farmall arguments that we’ve heard before. Recognize that all commentary is sarcasm and all the above mentioned companies make a high quality product (except chevy).

The boat for me would be that big ‘glass 20’ Targa I was drooling on at Bass Pro in Chicago. Man, what a ride. I would, of course, need the 250hp motor with the 9.9 kicker (both Mercs, no second-rate motors on my rig). Total: $36K

The truck would be a Ford F250 4×4 turbo diesel extended cab, manual transmission, ac/pl/pw/cruise, ‘glass topper with rod & gun lockers in the bottom of the box. Chevy also makes a nice truck that will probably last for as long as you keep driving the Ford to work.

If money were no object, I would say get a 30′ Baja or Scarab and convert it to a fishing boat using a sawzall and a dremel tool (is there anything that you can’t do with a dremel)? Add a couple of 100lb trolling motors to complement the twin 502 outdrives, and you’re at your favorite fishing hole in no time flat. The other option would be a converted tug-boat for when your friends want to go with. Either rig would require a JD 4wd tractor for towing. Estimated cost: $500K for both tractor and boat.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

*yikes*….. I reserve this kind of money for a house……. I have a totally opposite philosophy….. right now my boat cant be worth even 600 and thats mostly the motor….. my towing rigs… are both 4wd and both under $4000……. and guess what.. I will show up at the same river spots you guys do…. and will probably do pretty well….. nope… I dont take my rig out in all places in all conditions… so I “sacrifice” a few lousy days.. and do some “honey dos” instead….. but in the winter for some reason all my buddies want to leave their boats and trucks home and take mine… hmmmmm go figure…. but if I was going to go hog wild.. I would shop around for something used for under $5000, something broad beamed with decent power…… I do like the look of crestliners.. but dont know if I could get into one for that kind of $…. but who knows…. if you look around you never know…. actually what Im really looking for is an 80’s vintage yarcraft… what a nice boat… one of my buddies has one.. and he WONT part with it…. but maybe someone will…… that boat and about a 50 tiller…. yeah.. thats the ticket….. and then my 80’s vintage 4wd pickup will have a partner from the same era!!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I am in the same boat as rivereyes (not literally in the same boat, but you know what I mean). I have a boat and trailer that I might get $1000-1500 for. But I here a lot of people asking question about boat control, kickers, buckets, wind socks, etc. I have family and friends that have bigger, much more expensive boats. But if I am just going out on the river for a few hours by myself or with one other person, I prefer to fish from my little 12′ boat. No problems with boat control, no long bow to catch the current, everything I need in arms reach. Oh sure I wouldnt go out on Mille Lacs and feel nervous at times on the St Croix, but for most river fishing you cant beat it.

Besides, there is nothing greater than fishing right next to a $20K Lund Pro V or the like and outfishing them 4-1!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Well guys, I’m a dreamer and I don’t mean cheap either. Here is my dream setup:

Ranger 620, 225HP Yami, Yami high thrust kicker

Pulled with the F250 Powerstroke quad cab 4×4.

What I’m more than willing to settle with:

17.5ft Crestliner fishhawk or Lund 1775 Pro V.

115 HP 4 stroke yami and yami kicker

F150 super crew.

JimW
    SE MN

If it floats, is safe and handles your needs, I don’t think the fish will mind!! I guess I could ask why buy a $250,000 house over a $175,000 house? Or why buy a Merceds over a Mazda. Do you need and I emphasize NEED, to buy something top-line? I guess if you have 40K laying around, it’s your money. To much emphasis today on materilism and what my neigbor has. NOw if you guide for a living, I would suggest buying the best rig on the MArket!!!!.

Like Rivereyes suggests, I witness a lot of guys out there with some pretty fancy rigs that come back to the landing scratching their heads, when I’m pulling up or fishing near by in a bathtub sized rig out catching!!! Hmmmmmm

Again, if you have that kind of doe laying around, go for the best, but will you use it more than a couple times a year?

Jim W

Anonymous

Im with Waterfowler, geez. Let the guy dream. Nobody asked what you would do with the $40,000 if you were tighter than a drum. The question was for those of us that would use the 40,000 and its fun to dream so why rain on the parade? A lecture on spending etiquette was not part of the question. Jim W, sounds like youve never been on rough water in a decent rig before. Guess if wadin is all you do then there is no sense in getting a nice rig. Once you have been in a nice ride, it really spoils you and its safer to run something a little bigger than a 12ft duck boat.

Steve HougomFTR Webstaff

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Yeah, if we didn’t dream who would of come up with some of these beautiful rigs?

or who would of ever thought up an idea like money?

what ever happened to good ole bartering?

If money wasn’t an issue.

40,000 big ones……big glass…….lots of horsepower, brand wouldn’t be an issue!!!

Hook

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hey Waterfowler did you ever get that prop looked at? If I remember correctly your not suppose to be checking the forum from work are you? hahaha

Mike

Edited by Suzuki on 09/07/01 10:36 AM.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

ummmmm….. ok… sure…. dreams are good….. sorry, guess I was trying to provide an alternate perspective… and not a lynching or spoil sport…… and sure, Ive got what Ive got for a rig…. but you WILL see me fishing with friends, all of whom run some pretty nice rigs…. and do I enjoy it? you bet…..

sooo….. all right…. just figure, Im jealous!……. yeah… thats the ticket…..

WillB
    Minneiska

Dave :

We knew you weren’t in the same boat with Rivereyes , his boat only holds two and the other spot is reserved for the pup.

If I had $40K I’d bank it , I’m happy with the ones I have.

JimW
    SE MN

Never implied that dreaming wasn’t a good idea!!!! ANd yes I have fished in some nice boats. Just using the forum as it was designed to be used as, I guess!

Nope, not much for high rollers or crazy wakes while wadin’! Usually the only waves I see are from large fish following my presentation!

I’m no poet and will never profess to convey myself clearly in writing, but I do believe the true disadvantage to open forums is the continued misinterpretation. No facial cues, tone of voice, rising or falling after a comment etc. etc.

Thanks for letting me post my opinions!!!

Keep the rods bendin’ boys!!!!

Jim W

Backtroller
    North Dakota

Well, I love the posts and agree with all of the responses as I have thought the same thing on several occassions, I got this ugly little Alumacraft from a friend who had to force himself to sell it after he got it from his Dad who had to force HIMSELF to sell it. It does the trick, is a little scarey on the big water but I can follow James around just like anyone else! -) The funny thing on this post is that the Dreamers blew their budgets pretty much from the start…..Ranger 620 maxed out…..what are you towing with a 1981 Yugo? LOL! Anyhow, I was thinking that a little research would go into this dream like:

1999 Warrior Trail w/brakes and swing tongue

1999 Evinrude Ficht 90 hp (warranty until Nov 2004) SS prop, aluminum spare prop, 4 seats, custom travel cover, 2 – X-85’s, Global Map 1600, 24V MG762 bow mount trolling motor, Apelco 8500 VHF, rod holders, Wave Wackers, Shift Extension, 2 – Deep cycle batteries (new Sept 00)

Unit is in excellent condition – $18,900 (Warrior website)

Not saying that it is a great price but, a godd set up that, with the swing tounge fits in my garage AND is big enough to keep my young’ns from danger in tough weather.

Now, truck wise, I have about 22K left to spend, so It looks like a DANG good deal for a F150 4×4 Crew cab, reality looks like a Supercab, 5.4L V8 (21,891 at Walser last weekend) …y’know close out deal….so I can transport the family including 3 car seats AND look cool doing it! I feel my manhood shrink every time I roll into Garrison with the MiniVan!

Dont think about all of what you would do if you had a choice with the money, think about what you would do if you HAD to spend it on a boat and Rig…y’know its a use it or lose it deal.

Finally, I thought it would be a little fun to think about for a change considering the overall crappy state of the economy!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I find it depressing that people would limit their boat dreams to 40K. For me, 40K might as well be 40M as far as boat spending goes.

I don’t think the 36K Targa was too out of line, price-wise. For the remaining 4K I should be able to pick up a decent 2wd V8 rust-bucket to haul it with.

walleyefshr
    Kansas

My rig is an old piece of fiberglass waiting to sink, but I catch alot of fish out of it…….Ifn I had the powerball winnings…Crestliner Fishhawk1750 90hp tiller 100+ bow mount and 9.9 yami kicker tow rig would be a toyota tundra king cab 4×4. My tacoma would pull but on trips to Oahe, nice to have the V8.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

O.K., I’ll tell ya what I really would like. 1979 Glastron bass boat with ’84 Merc 150, or an ’89 Sea Nymph Fish-n-Ski 175 with 60 Johnson, both with outdated electonics, decent trolling motors….wait, that’s what I have! Can’t afford to run the Merc much with gas prices so high and economy so low, but it is fun when runin’ and gunnin’ wings. For varied presentations or trolling I use the Aluminum, and MUCH warmer in cold weather. I enjoy the options I have with these two old tubs, and have a great time every time out, AND have funds left to but out Cabela’s Wally Diver rack from time to time! Can’t beat it!

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

Well guys, I can not opperate without two boats! For me it can not be one dream boat….

I have to have a puddle jumper for ponds and creeks and all those small lakes with the “almost-an-access”… and a big water boat too.

I have two metal boats. I tend to beat the schmidtsky outa my boats and I like the way mine scratch and dent… instead of crack or bust. I have enjoyed getting to go into the 6 foot rollers on Lake of the Woods and the giant swells on Erie with my AlumacraftTrophy 190 175hp I/O . I do the down rigger thing as well as walleyes in the weeds. I have a 12/24 v. Minkota on the front and a swevel front seat for casting bass. I own a Sea-Cap removable fiberglass bow cover that is a “high -rise” and encloses the whole front making it into a dry storage/sleeping area. I love it! Dry ride? Even in a rain, I just put up the side, top and rear curtains. Mom, the three kids, two dogs… all the room I want. If I had jack for the “dream boat”… I would have another new one, just like this one.

My Alumacraft Lunker V14 is too big to portage.. but will fish three big boys real comphy on the river or the gravel pit. I can un-load it on some spit! With a 25 yamahammer sporting a rock-guard over the prop…I can fish the Seagull River in the dark! A Uniden GPS/fishfinder and Marine radio, Minkota on front with a Vexilar up there to work weedlines… what a little fishing machine…a real joy.

I have by dream boats right now….I am happy! I have had the chance to up to another boat many times but…I have done the change every year deal enough…it is lots of work. But that helps the image. And image is important at times.

I must tell you, I did have a great ride in James Holst’s Crestliner. Nice boat! And I was impressed with it fully. I must say that he has a fine rig… but I’ll have to have two of those Crestliners… one much bigger than his and one much smaller!

Happy, happy, joy, joy……Hawger

jim-c
    Minot, ND

Gianni- I have bad news. You still need $60 bucks. Retail value of my 2002 Targa loaded is $40,060….but your buddies will be happy to tow it for you!

greatplains
    Hudson, WI

I fished all 6 of the PWTs as an am. this year. That means I rode in 18 of the most tricked out Walleye boats made. Rangers, Lunds, Alumacrafts, Yarcrafts, etc,etc. For ride, room, and unbelievable boat control, you can’t beat a Warrior. It was time for me to get a new boat as well. Next year I will be in a Warrior. The 1890 is well priced. Check one out before you do anything.

Rigman

Nothing wrong with dreaming… I run a 2000 Targa and love it, but if I had 40k to spend on a boat I’d opt for the Ranger 620. Very similar to the Targa, but seems to be built a little better. For the money, the Targa is hard to beat… If money wasn’t an object, the Ranger is tough to beat imo…. As for a truck, either the F250 or F350 crewcab… close to another 40k….

– RigMan

[email protected]

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I saw the Targa for 36K at Bass Pro in Chicago, I suppose by the time you add a decent fish finder and pay Uncle Sam his due, that would put it well over 40. It sure was a nice looking boat, though. It made my 15′ bass boat look pretty small in comparison.

My brother in law runs a 1750 Lund ProV tiller. For him, it’s just about the best set-up imaginable, since he’s a big backtroller. Since I like going pointy-end first with a steering wheel in my hand, I think the big Targa would be the boat of a lifetime. I’m jealous as all-get-out of you two.

ted-merdan

Great Plains and Backtroller – I have a Warrior 1890 BT w/ a 90 Merc Tiller that I am looking to move. Don’t want to clutter up this post but send me an email, I will reply with specifics. I am selling this fall for the right price or will wait for next spring.

Ted

[email protected]

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.