Pool 9 guides

• ripper

Hi fellas. I have come to the conclusion that I need professional help. Yes, in many ways, however I would like to start to learn more about the river and I have seemed to flat-line on fishing success this past year. Who’s the best, and more importantly, most helpful at pool 9? Someone who is multi-species capable, and would book this guy probably 4 times next year, and even this winter if they do such things.

Thanks

Happy holidays and a great new year to you all.

jbennett1013
    Cedar Rapids, IA

If you are looking for someone who specializes on pool 9 there are not too may choices. There are alot of guides who will travel on alot of the river and are willing to fish 9 but they are not experts on that specific pool.

That being said Dave Koonce from this website is an excellent guide. He is a blast to fish with and is very knowledgeable about all types of fishing on pools 9 and 10. I do not know how much he is guiding anymore as he works a full time job and owns bfishntackle which is equivalent of another full time job. You can get ahold of him at Backwaterguiding.com or send a pm to ecnook.

Another excellent guide is Tim Hutchinson. He goes by Hutch. Guiding and running a tackle company are his only profession. He has extensive knowledge of river fishing and pool 9 in particular. I believe he guides all year round if the water and weather permit. You can find him at riverwalleyes.com. Hutch specializes in walleye/sauger but can probably put you on about any type of fish you like.

Both of these guys will do a great job for you. It may be easier to get ahold of a day with Hutch this time of year because I know dave is a busy guy and specializes in Ice fishing when there is ice to be found.

bmueller

Contact Hutch at riverwalleyes.com. I used him twice last year on pool 9 trying to do the same thing you are. We fished in March and April. Even though I have fished pool 9 for quite awhile I never really got the hang of fishing walleyes there. He also provided some good insight to smallies that paid off this last year.

Good luck

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Tim Hutchinson, won’t be disappointed…

Whiskerkev
    Madison

This Guy guides out of Black hawk and is also very good multi species guy.

web page

fireflick
    Alma WI

I would use Tim Hutchinson. He is the master down on that end.

ripper

Thanks guys. Hell, maybe I will use them all! I need that much help.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thanks for the kind words JB but in all honesty you hit it right on the head…I just don’t get out as much as i used to…Give Hutch a call and let him know how much we all love him !! Tell him IDA sent ya !!

He is a great guy

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Go to Genoa, walk into any of the Bars or the gas station and ask them who catches the most fish around that area. OR, Stop in at Becks fish market just north of Genoa on 35 and ask him. I know one name they will give you will have the initials GJ.

tolden
    Stoddard, WI

Jambois, ya he can put you on fish, but then so can’t just about everyone else that goes into Tuna’s in Genona. There are a ton of good walleye fishermen down in that area.

Hutch with out a doubt would be my choice.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Thanks Waterfowler99… I second the Dave and Hutch recomendations and Ted Peck has also moved over here to guide on a regular basis … who knows you might end up in one of his magazine articles or newspaper columns.. good luck in your adventures on Pool 9 it’s a great place to fish just like the whole Upper Mississippi… I might also recommend just hitching a ride from time to time with some of the other IDA pool 9 members, since on any given year like the guy said who made the stop at the local hangouts and ask suggestion… lot’s of times everyone is on different fish so asking at the bait shops, Bars, restaurants,motels, or just riding along or sharing a ride can really pay dividends… espectially in the dog days of summer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.