Superlines??

• fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I am having trouble with mono lines this year for some reason so I am going to try a super line. I put on some fire line and was VERY dissapointed. It seemed to break 3 times as much as my mono. So I was wondering do I have to trim off the end if it gets a nick in it? I was thinking that this might cause the breaking. Second what kind of super line does everyone suggest? I was thinking about some spiderline fusion?????? Thanks for any input!

Good luck

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve been using fireline for 3 years now and haven’t had any problems. What knot were you using??? Try the polomar knot. Are you fishing in very rocky areas?? That’s the only time I’ve broken off, when my crank get’s snagged and I’m horsing on it instead of pulling from the reverse angle it was snagged. I haven’t lost a plug since I started going back for them. Wet the knot before cinching(sp) down also.

Otherwise I’ve heard good things about Power Pro also.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

I have used both Fireline and Fusion on my trolling rods this year. I also have Fireline on my live bait rod and like it for the sensitivity it offers. I have had no problems with either kind.

SetTheHook
    Iowa

I have more problems with Fireline not breaking when I would like it to. Double check your knots, the Palomar knot is the way to go.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I guess I might also wonder what pound test you’re using? These lines are far superior to mono for strength but if they’re fraying close to the lure, you will lose some strength, and eventually lose a lure/jig. As mentioned, the knot is important but watch for frays above the knot. You don’t have to change it right away but you do need to be mindful of the possible consequence if you don’t keep up on it.

Fusion is not as good as Fireline in my opinion. I still use it because I can get more of it for less but if that stuff even starts a fray, retie it! I’ve been having breakage on 12/24. Not often, but it’s not holding up as well as Fireline.

Don’t give up on a superline. They may require some change of habits for you but once you’re in tune with them, you’ll strongly prefer them.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I love PowerPro for jigging, and flipping. I use the light stuff, 10# test/2# diameter. I hauled in a 31# sturgeon on it last Fall after nearly a 2 hour fight and run around on the river. For trolling cranks I like Spiderwire, tough as nails and lasts a long time, very abrasion resistant to clams and zebies. PowerPro isn’t as abrasion resistant as Spiderwire but really seems to retain its form well. I chop off the last couple of feet every once in a while if I see it starting to fray. Both of these lines are kinda pricey but worth the $$ for me, I love the sensitivity and ability to feel what’s going on down there.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Another thing to consider………………although Spiderwire is very good stuff, don’t get it for casting. It’s more of a trolling line. It just doesn’t spool off well from spinning reels. I think casters will be more forgiving but haven’t tried that myself.

Anonymous

I have been using fireline for a long time without any problems. Just started using powerpro this year, great line for jigging.

fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I was using 14 pound fireline with a rapala knot. This may be a dumb question but what is a polomar knot and where may I see an example of one????? It seemed to be that the fire line was breaking somewhere about 12-30 inches above the lure. Never figured it out. Thanks for all the advice everyone has given. I think that I will have to try some spiderline on my bait caster and not really sure what to use on my live bait rig yet. I just put on rapala line and it has a pretty low memory but stretches a TON! Thanks to all.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

What are you using for a rod? Can’t help but wonder if you have a crack or chip in your tip. It would effect many places on your spool but the closest to the lure is the most likely to break. Check for fraying on about 50 ft. worth of line and go from there. If you have fraying throughout the line length, you just may have a problem with your rod not being capable of handling a superline. The eyelet construction DOES matter for this subject.

Keith
    NE Iowa

There is usually an example of a palomar knot in the little booklet that comes with the fireline. I been using fireline since I first saw it in the stores and love it; especially for jigging and casting cranks. I will say that spiderwire works better for trolling, holds up alot better.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Describing a palomar knot is one of those deals that is as simple as tying your shoelace but interesting to describe. I’ll hunt around for a web site with pictures and post it but in the meantime: Take your line and fold back onto itself about 6 inches of line. Pinch the loop formed at the end closely together to allow it to be pushed through the eye of a jig (for example). Center the jig approximately in the center of the 6 inches of folded onto itself line and tie a normal overhand, square knot ( the kind of knot most of us first learned to tie as kids). Then, take the jig and slip it through the newly formed loop, wet the line at the knot and while holding the jig in one hand, pull the line tight. The large loop will slip down and end up on the jig eye. Trim the tag end and you’re set…. so guys, if you didn’t know a palomar knot, could you tie it with these instructions?

urbanrivers

I have begun to use PowerPro for jigging and some crankin’ as well and am beginning to really like it. I have been a mono kind of guy for a long time, liking the softness the stretch gives me in hooksets with tubes. The light weight powerpro line is really, really sensitive, pricey true, but the cost is made up with saving the cranks and Gammi hooks I use for the tubes. I have found I can be a little more patient with the hooksets with this line.

fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I am running it on an old garcia. That might be a problem with the pole. I will have to check that out. I have put mono back on that pole and put some spider on my new pole. I am planning on going out in the morn to try it out so we will see what happens!!

Thanks for the knot instructions! I have been trying it tonight and think that I got it. Just wondering wher you can get some PowerPro? Thanks to all for the input!!

Good luck

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have purchased PowerPro from Cabelas, both mail order and in the reatail store at Owatonna, Mn. I have also purchased it at B&M Bait shop on Hwy 63 North, about 3 miles North of Rochester. B&M has it both in bulk and in spools of 100 yards. I believe Cabelas is slightly less expensive than the local bait shop but if you are already in this area he’s the guy. I don’t know if Galyns in Bloomington has it or not, don’t recall seeing it at Gander Mt. Glad you like it, so do I. I still find myself being overly aggressive on hook sets sometimes, forget there is no stretch and feel the hook come right out of the fishes mouth. Oh well, kind of like instant catch and release.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Here’s a web site with diagrams of several good knots including the palomar. I also use fireline and LOVE it for jigging and casting cranks. I’ll have to try the spiderwire for trolling also, as I am not completely happy with Fireline for that application.

http://www.fish4fun.com/knots.htm

bigtime
    North Carolina

I would suggest Tuff line. it is a super braid. I would suggest the 50lb test for almost all applications. try it you won’t be disapointed. I use it for cats and muskies, but I know many bass and walleye guys who use 50lb for their fishing and it isn’t to heavy. plus you don’t have to respool for at least 5 years.

urbanrivers

I have not found Powerpro at either Galyan’s or the Mountain, but Joe’s in St Paul has it.

drizz
    Winona, MN

West End Bait in Winona has it.

fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Thanks much for the knot web sites. Great help. I tried the spiderwire and it takes some getting used to on the hook sets. Missed quite a few by pulling it right out of their mouth!!

Hey kid. I put this new line on a band new pole that I bought this year and already by this afternoon it has 1-2 inch stripes along the line that have the coating cut off??? Is this normal???

Thanks much

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Hmmm………….what kind of rod did you buy and have you been casting or trolling?

On Fireline the coating can wear relatively fast when casting repeatedly, but it’s just a coating. Until I see fray, I have yet to have any problems. Now fusion on the other hand, has required a nick or sharp edge of some sort to take the coating off. And with that wear came frays………………..and shortly after……….a break!

If you’re seeing wear from casting, it’s possible there’s still an issue with the eyelet construction/tip position/defective insert……………………..but trolling could still be abrasive conditions in the water, which WILL wear the coating. Don’t concern yourself with the coating as much as any true fraying. It does tend to be a property of these lines, but they can be slightly different, as mentioned.

As for your rod, you should have a titanium coated insert or silicon carbide. Aluminum oxide might be a little too weak for a braided line, but okay with a kevlar type superline (fusion).

Edited by Stillakid2 on 08/22/01 02:28 PM.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Its been awhile since I’ve owned a rod that was damaged by abrasion from some of the various super lines or braids on the market. Tip and guide damage can occur on some less expensive rods though. To check this out take a q-tip and swirl it around the inside of the guide or rod tip. If you have enough damage to catch the fine cotton on the head of the q-tip, you’ve got problems and its time to replace the tip or guide. Its not an overly expensive fix so don’t avoid it. Any quality rod builder can do it and can recommend a “braid proof” replacement.

The guys above gave some great advice…. in my opinion spiderwire is a “trolling only” product that is far superior to fireline in this application… no casting for me thank you. Yeah, it can be done and it cuts through weeds just great and is tough as nails but if you ever get a backlash with the stuff you’ll be pickin’ and swearing for awhile!

The single or double palomar is the only way to go with the braids. Clinch or “trilene/fisherman’s” knots just slip apart under pressure.

For jigging is shallow water, say less than 15′ or so I’d suggest just sticking with the mono…. especially if you’re casting jigs to these spots. Trilene XT, Maxima, Excaliber, Ande all make very durable monos that fish well. I personally feel I hook up more fish when casting jigs when I use mono and abrasion due to fishing in rocks and such is all part of the ball game and is easily fixed with a quick retie…. which your probably doing after each couple fish anyway. Besides, in the really bad stuff that I fish in that is hard on the line I lose sooooo many jigs I’m constantly retying anyway!

For the shallow stuff go with a durable, low stretch mono and leave the fireline for the deep, vertical presentations in my opinion.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Great advice. I am going to go and check my pole now. I am pretty sure something like that is going on! Thanks much for the input.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

fishhunter,

When this post first came up, I also thought that there must have been a problem with the knot! I have been running Fireline since it first came out and have never had a problem with the stuff breaking…..Until this past weekend.

I had spooled up 2 rods with 20/8 fire line. (Fresh line purchased recently) Planned on trolling an area in Pepin that had a lot of zebs during the FTR get together. (Never made it down there) Anyway, I was up on Mille Lacs night trolling the shallow rocks. Got snagged with about 100 feet of line out. Gave the pole a good tug to pop the lure out and the Fireline busted right at the tip of my pole. This surprised the heck out of me! A guy can anchor a boat with 20/8. Picked up the other pole and about a half hour later, same thing. Busted at the pole with 100 feet out!

Later the next day I took a closer look at the line break. Nothing wrong with my pole tips. The line at the break looked freyed. Like yarn would look if you pulled it apart.

I’m just taking a guess here but, Berkely must have had a bad run on it’s last batch. I have another rod with line that is pushing 2 years, no probs……..

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

So, how was the night fishing???

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

waterfowler,

Check out “fishthelake .com” for Brett Kings report on the main page and the Mille Lacs discussion forum for my comments.

J.

texeye

For what its worth…I agree with H20. It has been my experience that when using fire line there are a few things to think about.It is great in the sensitivity department but I dont like to jig or live bait fish with it.If you vertical jig and aren’t easy on the hook set you will pull the jig out or tear a hole in the side of a walleyes mouth.I have pulled small fish in and found a hole big enough for a jig to fall out ,and if your pole is too stiff or drag too tight fireline will go slack.for a split second and you’ll lose fish.I also feel that when using it for live bait rigging a walleye will feel you just as you can feel him and many times on subtle bites they will drop the bait.Mono is sometimes more forgiving because of the stretch .I like to use fireline when trolling or deep vertical jigging. I learned a hard lesson on Devil’s lake….You not only have to hook those walleye you have to keep them hooked until they are swimming in you livewell.

fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Jon

That is exactly what happend to me. Even when I switched to the polomar knot. Same stuff. Gave up on fireline for now. Went to spider line and have only had one break for now. Not sure if I like the superline though. Might have to try some sensor mono. Thanks for the input.

fishhunter

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.