POOLS 5, 5A AND 6

• 2Fishy4U

Any general reports regarding fishing on subject pools would be appreciated. I am a Multi-Species fisherman and plan on spending at least half a day on each pool starting tomorrow.

Regardless of whether I hear from anyone, I will let you all know how it went.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I am a tournament guy, you wouldn’t want to hear from me.

2Fishy4U

Why even respond them, a few general spots would have been helpful. Anyway, I will let you know how it goes when I get back home this weekend.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

I would check out the wingdams & main channel points for largemouth and smallmouths. I hear that they are hitting on shad color crankbaits. The walleye fishing has really been tough, but check out the main channel breaks and sand flats I have had good luck in the past.

adloos
    Winona, MN

The largemouth have been biting really well. I have been throwing a lot of swim jigs and also scum frogs.
    Rock points is the ticket for smallies right now, wingdams just havent been producing with the current so slow.

For walleyes, they have been biting ok. Willow cats are the top bait right now, at the fountain city tournament this past weekend 1st place was 4 walleyes for 28lbs.

VikeFan

I was flathead fishing on Pool 6 last night. The water levels are as low as I have seen them, and I lived in Winona for seven years. So, wing dams and other structure that attracted fish in the past may be no more than navigation hazards this weekend.

As for the fishing–I left my boat in Iowa City, because of gas prices and the reports of lousy walleye fishing around Winona, so I was fishing from the bank. I caught some bluegills, a decent channel cat, and a mooneye (who got hacked up into cut bait ) fishing crawlers while it was light out, and one decent mudcat after dark.

I can also say that reports of a bumper pin minnow hatch are true. Whether or not they are the reason the walleye fishing has been slow around Winona this summer, there are a lot of them in the water.

2Fishy4U

I did pretty much what you suggested. Fished Pool 5 (Alma) on Wednesday. The weather was great, but for better or for worst ran into a ton of nice sunnies on one of the Wingdams. I also managed a few nice channel cat and Small Mouth. However, not a single Walleye.

Thursday, after the rain quit in Winona I tried Pool 6. Again, the Smallie bite was pretty good literally right on top of the Wing Dams, but that is about it.

Bottm line is that is about it. For the sunfish guys great news, they are out there and decent sized. The bass and catfish bite was OK, but not a single Walleye.

eyebuster
    Duluth

We just got off pool 6 tonight and not a hole lot happening, a couple small, smallies and a 4lb channel. nice night to be on the water though.

2Fishy4U

Especially not after what has happened in the Sturgeon Bay Tournament.

And again,thanks for your contribution to my post which == nothing.

You are a great guy?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

2fishy4U-I just have to ask, are you some sort of troll? I have seen quite a few of your latest posts and they all tend to be very negative What is it that we can or should do to get a positive post from you? Just curious

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Troll Pic. Food for the imagination.

2Fishy4U

AM,

a few quick notes.

As for the fishing what can I say. Aside from Sunnies and a few nice Smallies it was just kinda slow. I love the river and have fished, commercial fished and trapped going back to the late 1950’s.

Regarding fishing tournaments, some are good and some bad, but that have been some large fish kills in those tournaments this summer including bass, and maybe when the temp is in the 90’s they should be postphoned.

I don’t think my fishing posts are negative, just accurate.
    As for the E-TEC posts, they are factual.

Regarding positive posts, thanks for the reminder. I will make an effort to be a bit more postive in the future; however, when I go fishing I have to tell it like it is. Excellent, good, average or poor. Perhaps for you and some others on the board, the fishing is better, and if so please report it on this board.

Again, thanks

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I wish I had some good info on the fishing lately, but it hasn’t been all that action packed for me
    I will not disagree with your thoughts about NOT having tournies during extreme heat and high water temps
    At least you are being honest with your fishing reports
    Please keep posting your reports and opinions. I may not agree with all of them, but that is what makes things interesting on here

2Fishy4U

Thanks and thanks for your friend’s fishing report regarding catfish.

I was planning on posting a report after a trip to Winona beginning on Sept. 7th; however, you may have read that my new 90HP E-TEC got recalled and I have to haul it back from Winona, Mn. to Milwaukee.

I hope that is not to negative, but I now know that the 90HP E-TEC filters have about the same strength as a coffee pot filter.

Anyway, before pulling the Boat/Motor back will probably head for Whitwater and do a little trout fishing.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Positive post…a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work anytime! But I would have to agree with the fact that the fishing hasn’t been that great this year for some reason. (Pool 5A anyway) Oh well, still enjoy hitting the water regardless! Keep the posts coming….good or bad!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.