Freezing line(monofilament)

• dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Just wondering what most of you guys and gals do with the leftover mono that doesn’t get spooled up. I have heard good and bad things about freezing mono. Any suggestions? Good or bad.

See ya on the river!

Dustin

Keith
    NE Iowa

Dustin

Not sure if it is true, but I have heard that it does prolong the life of left-over mono

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Usually when my mono freezes I am pretty d*mn cold too! The last thing I want to do is test my line to see if I need to re-tie since my little fingers are so darn numb it would take me an hour and three hooks in the thumb until I get a good knot. So when my mono freezes, I just keep on fishing!

Just trying (keyword TRYING) to be funny. If you loose as many rigs as I do on Pool 2, you dont have to worry about “extra” mono.

predator_2

Hey there wild man;

I seen you pullin your boat today, did ya fish?

I have always put my line in the frig insted of freezer… You saw me use mono that was 2 yrs old last sat. and it was as strong as ever ….it has been on my reel since may…. I don’t know if freezing hurts(I don’t think it does though) but i know the frig. don’t hurt it.

Later

PS The frig. is were I store all my pre tied leaders between fishen trips too. 3 way rigs and stuff

Edited by predator 2 on 07/26/01 11:09 PM.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

No, I did not make it out yesterday I had to work I just took the boat down to the car wash to touch it up it was pretty dirty from being in the water all last week. Just getting it looking good for the weekend.

Later.

Dustin

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have been keeping mine in the basement. Cool and low-light. This seems to prolong it for some time. I have a large spool of 8lb from last year that I am still spooling from and it is fine. I have another spool of 14lb that is 2 years old and fine. I’m not sure if I am willing to push it 3 years.

Mike

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

UV light (sunlight) is what weakens it. I’ve left spools in the basement for several years and not noticed any difference. On the shelf in the garage, where the sun hits it in the afternoon, and it’s toast in 3 months.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.