Locking through a dam

• Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Every spring the Minnesota River turns pool 2 to chocolate mud. The river upstream is always cleaner, but there ain’t that much there til you run into the dam. I’m thinking it may be worth it to lock through and explore up river. Has anybody done this? Could you describe the procedure? How about a website?

Good Fishn to Ya!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Pull into the lock. Pull on rope. Wait for instructions.

Keep in mind that the river above the Ford dam is inland water and is closed to fishing just like the lakes are from Feb 26 to May 13.

-J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

It’s clearly stated in the Minnesota Fishing regs. It’s in the Experimental/special regs for “Streams and Rivers”.

They uesd to get goofed up on the pool 3 border water regs. But they now clearly state “Downstream from Prescott….” So the area of pool 3 from the Hastings dam to Prescott is inland water and closed Feb 26 to May 13.

-J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Oh, and as far as fishing goes…. That Tony Dean episode covered it pretty well.

-J.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Jim K..

going through the locks is no big deal. I actually keep their numbers on my cell phone(or did until that phone took a swim)… I’ll get the numbers again this spring. If you plan on using them often, be sure to get their phone number, or call them on the marine radio(channel 12 I think? could be wrong). Calling ahead can keep you from waiting for 15-60 minutes.

Most of the time you will be able to tie off to a mooring buoy for hands free locking. Other times when its busy you have to hold a rope. Be sure to have some boat bumpers because its a chore to try to keep the boat from scraping the wall when the water is raising/lowering.

As others have stated, the normal inland regulations apply to everything above the ford dam. Below the ford dam has the year around catch and release only. It wont be legal to target gamfish above the ford dam until the seasons open.

Good luck.. thats a tough stretch of river unless your fishing for smallmouth, channel cats, and carp.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What do you mean tieing of on a mooring buoy? You dont want to tie your boat to the ropes in the lock. this would lead to huge problems on the way down river. Are the buoys something different.
    Last summer was the 1st time I ever lock threw. Thought it was very easy. cant waite to take the kids threw.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The Ford and St Anthony locks have giant buoys in channels in the wall.. they go up and down with the water level = hands free locking, or you can use your hands to keep the boat from scraping the wall.

I am certain all locks have these buoys for barges to tie to(your not going to hold one of them in place by hand).

If they toss down a rope to you, please dont tie it off to the boat, especially if you are getting lowered..

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Boat bumpers? I have been in locks with nearly 200 bass boats and zero boat bumpers.

Don’t expect it to be this organized. This was us two years ago during an Everstart tournament out of Red Wing…

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Geez Dave,

at least point yourself out in the picture

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.