Another Lock and Dam Question

• SNAKEYES
    Iowa

What is the proper procedure for locking through?
    Thanks, SNAKEYES

urbanrivers

If you have a radio call on channel 14 and request a north bound or south bound lock depending on if you are going up river (north) or down river (south). If you don’t have a radio go up to the end of the lock wall where you will find a cord for a call “button,” pull the cord. The lock master will call over the speaker and ask what you want. Tell him you want to lock through. He will tell you how long it will be before the lock is ready for you. Time depends on whether or not he has to raise or lower the water in the chamber for you. When he is ready for you the gates will open and a green light by the lock will come on. Drive into the lock and proceed until you see a rope or two hanging over the edge for you. Grab the rope and enjoy the ride. Remember don’t tie the rope off, just hold it. When the lock is ready for you to exit, just wait until the lock master sounds a horn for you then leave the chamber.

I can still remember how reluctant I was to go through a lock. First time through was with a friend in the Coast Guard, turns out to be a piece of cake, not intimidating at all. And for me it opened up a whole private fishery for me. But that is another tale.

Good luck Steve

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

Thanks for the info. I’m looking forard to trying this.
    SNAKEYES

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I always thought it was channel 16….
    Tuck

drizz
    Winona, MN

Ch 16 is the international distress and call channel. Everyone is required to monitor 16 but the corps uses 14 for everyday communication with barges and boat traffic.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Cool, thanks! I don’t call the lock at all, but it is good to know!
    Tuck

urbanrivers

The lock will monitor 16 but it is a risk to think they will answer. As was said, 14 will get them to respond because it is the lock monitor channel.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.