Pool 2 north of Hastings

• 18fisher
    Hastings,MN

Has anybody ever tried the lake just north of lock and dam#2 north of hastings I believe its called spring lake? Wanted to try it but don’t know where all the hazards are. If anyone knows anything it would be a great help to know where the obstacles are before I become one

bbayerko
    Eagan MN

I hunted down there (10 years ago),there are stumps all over, so be sure to find someone who knows before you go out. On the main channel side (east) of the islands is fairly clean, but the north 1/2 end of Spring lake is a graveyard for props and lower units. I’m not sure about the south end. Plus, it’s always changing with the water level. Things move when it’s up and settle when it’s down.

grouse

The “Graveyard” is what they call that area. The “Graveyard” chews up lower units and spits them out. Be very careful down there. Two very experienced river rat duck hunters died down there several seasons ago. Good waterfowl hunting, but dangerous.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

A little more background on Spring Lake…It never existed before the coming of the dams by the Corp of Engineers. It used to be forested land, hence the “Graveyard” tag right now. As the years go by, the stumps are turning mushy and less of a threat. By no means does that mean you can run through there at no risk! Far from true! You need to be very careful. I too duck hunt down there. There are times when crappies and walleye bite well there. I have quit chasing crappies there after the catch and release tag was laid on Pool 2.
    FYI, North Lake is the same way. It was once forested, and actually had a road crossing it. Once the dams were brought online, the backwaters were created.
    Kind of cool, huh?
    Tuck

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Tuck hit it on the head.
    That entire area is one of my favorite for spring time walleyes!

Download this link to Google Earth and see for yourself. BEst satellite images I have ever seen….plus its totally interactive.
    Good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.