PUP trainin? (or the art of trainin StillaPUP!)

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I know this is not the forum for dogs…. but you see I have this problem…. a while ago this cute Pup followed me onto this board (ok, so some people think its ugly, but I mean its just a PUP, have some patience!),

and I asked James and Hougie if I could keep him… well they said.. sure if I trained him and cleaned up after him…….

anyways… I guess I neglected some of the training, and Im sorry if some of you have stepped in some things you would rather not have…. and now I hear the Pup (stillapup!) was caught chewing on a beaver! now truth to tell guess Ive done that myself from time to time…… ceptin this one was NOT supposed to be chomped!! BAD DOG!! DOWN BOY!!

soooos anyway, guess I need some training advice….. I know my ol grandpa always said that if your dog is a killing chickens you take that chicken and beat the pup black and blue then tie it to them and let it drag it around…. well…… interesting…. but I cant imagine whipping the pup with a beaver (then he would be beaver whipped!)…… and he DIDNT kill it…. so Im not so sure chaining them together is such a good idea…..

so I remember the advice of a wise old dog trainer.. and he always said….. if your dog does something you dont like….. then you punish them so severely they will never do it again… and if they do, then you did not punish them enuf the first time…. well… good advice… but, seems a little like putting a bullet between the eyes to teach them to “play dead”…. sure it works… but how do you get them to stop “playing dead”?……

so then I figured… well… maybe the problem is his teeth… maybe they are bothering him?…… and anyways ifn they was gone how could he nip anyone?… so the other day on the 4th July, with all the *BOOM*s I was hearing… I had an idea… I got me a stick of dyamite and whipped it out there for the ol stillapup to retrieve….. well maybe hes a bit smarter then he looks cuz he done went and grabbed that dynamite and run it right over to my truck… and left it right under it….. the only good thing was he happened to stop to watch the carnage and a tire hit him right in the kisser!….. good thing it was the 4th.. I was able to tell the insurance company that it was just kids having some good clean fun… so I gots a new truck in the offin now….. but still gots this problem with the Pup!…….

whats a dog owner to do??

JimW
    SE MN

Quit feeding him “Puppy chow”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Shock collar.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Might I suggest a shelter??? HMMMMM??? (help!)

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

down boy!! QUIET!!!

dont you know what happens at shelters? they put PUPs to sleep there! plus were getting all this great help…..

hmmmmm shock collars….. can I get one with those pop out buttons they have on turkeys so I can tell when hes DONE??

they do have 3 settings right? RARE, MEDIUM and WELL??

and hopefully at LEAST a 2 mile range!!

lol

herb
    6ft under

Interesting thread! A shock collar might work but some folks are so angry when they decide to use it they seem to forget for a few moments to take their finger off the ZAP button.

BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

If you want to beat me…………errr the puppy, just use one of those branches you broke off the Ugly Tree!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

PUP… I know you were almost unconscious when you hit the ground, but it was YOU who broke every branch of the Ugly tree on the way down… so sure I picked up one just to keep you in tune…….

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Rumor has it that you two may fish in the FTR get-together tourney. If so, any way we can get a camera crew to tape it- DEM SUM FIREWORKS I WANNA SEE!!!!!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Rumor has it he’s gotta catch me first! Ha Haaaaa! (Wait a sec………………thought……………………..processing…………….tip head and raise ears) Ummm…………….are shock collars waterproof?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

You know, the Old Hand’s got a good imagination! But his memory isn’t so good……………………..I admit, he about knocked me unconscious but how would you fare if Elmer Fudd landed on your head, accompanied by a few hundred pounds of Ugly Tree branches? That was when we first met.

I needed the medical attention so I followed him home. For days he kept mumbling something about “wascowy wabbits” and using my bottom as a football and his foot for a launch pad! I wouldn’t normally stick around for that but I thought he’d realize my benefits sooner or later.

Then one day he asks, “Yoo evva catch a wabbit stewapup?” ” What’s a wabbit?”, I thought to myself. So I tipped my head and lifted my ears so he would feel compelled to enlighten me. “You know…………….wabbits! Dey gots thick foowy coats, big paddowy feet, an’ big o’ buck teef to chew whif! WABBITS!!!”

Did he say anything about the ears or tail? How’s I to know that “wabbits” don’t have long ears or flat tails and chew on carrots, not trees? He only remembers want he wants to so I followed him here to look after him. So when I saw that “beavah” sawing down his shade trees, I figured it must be a “wabbit” and that’s why he hates them so much! So off I went and here I am………………….what’s a pup to do?

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Eyes,

Perhaps leaving the “pup” to do it’s own thing for a bit may help. The pup’s behavoir can only be a reflection of it’s owner. Some of us out here see the gentle nudging others don’t. I may be out of bounce here but perhaps if you abandon your supposed teaching of this pup we all would be better off?

Edited by Haywood04 on 07/06/01 03:23 PM.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Hey! Haywood! You seem to like “pups”………………….you own a fire hydrant? Absent a shock collar? Know the difference between a “wabbit” and a beaver? Maybe “my trainer” can give me one last boot in the YAHOOOOOoooooooo………………. over to your place? Ummmmm…………….you fish? :O)

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Mr Haywood!…. (and my other friendly advisors!)

your points are well taken…. Im just beside myself trying to figure out what to do with my PUP!!….. but I WAS neglecting him when he got into trouble…… still… a suggestion that I do nothing, hmmmmmm well thats the easiest way out! LOL….. well its on the list…. but first I have to cut out the puppy chow, fire up the shock collar, whip out the ol ugly stick (say…. I DO have one of those… works great too! never tried whuppin a pup with it though… guess its tough enuf!…..)….. anyway thanks for the advice… and of course if you want to care for him for a while…. have at it!! LOL……

hmmmmmm as I review your post, your suggestin I release him into the “wild”…. *eek*…. I fear his “survival” skills are not QUITE there yet…. then I will be scraping PUP from the road…. anyone up for PUP PANCAKES???… cuz see he actually IS a GOOD PUP (NO I DONT mean delicious!! I hear your stomach growling out there!!)…. usually….

and yes… I know his actions reflect on me…. but those who know me…. know I cant sink MUCH lower… when your at my level you really got no where to go but UP!! so thats not toooo much of a concern!!

sooooo thanks for all the puppy advice… I WILL be trying everything you have giving me!!!

respectfully yours

RiverEyes

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Eyes,

Now that I know a bit more about how your “pup” may have had trouble with the world all by himself perhaps you should keep a closer eye or “river eye” on him. LOL

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m gettin’ the feeling the “Old Man……………….errrrr, I mean, “Old Hand” is only here out of obligation, and Haybuddy…………………..you sayin’ you don’t want the responsibility? (lol) Talk about great esteem builders! You guys should build ice cream pyramids in the Sahara with those talents! (lol) I jus’ be goin’ fer a walk now……………..a looooooooooooong walk…………………………………off a short……………………….(lol)

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

oh now….. DOWN BOY!! just cuz were fighting over who has to TAKE you dont mean we DONT love you… in fact right now Im checking on recipes… errrrrrr… I mean training manuals…… so there, there… theres a good pup… want your ears scratched?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.