Pool 2

• bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

How come I never see a Tournament on Pool 2. Is this place overlooked or just not as good as pool 3 & 4.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

100% Catch and Release required on all game fish species. It would be impossible to conduct a tourney with the current “bring ’em to the scales” type weigh-ins we currently use.

And yes, Pool 2 is good, very good.

bt-eye

Thanks Jim. I guess I should have read the Regs. in detail. Just a good place to bone-up and fish.

mudcatkid
    On water

Unless i miss-understood… Pool 2 is catch and release????

Why is that?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

You did not miss read…. Pool 2 is total C&R for walleye, sauger, bass and northern.

In 1990 the DNR put the special reg in place to do a 10 year study. After the study ended in 2000, the dnr wanted to continue the reg. Public support pushed it through for another 10 years.

J.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Not that I would want to, but I think you can keep northerns on Pool 2. Walleye, sauger, small mouth and large mouth bass are protected.

BTW-anyone ever catch a large mouth on Pool 2? Only downriver of downtown St Paul if so?

Wingshooter
    MN Goodhue

I don’t know why you would want to fish it, but the duck hunting isn’t bad tons of stump fields and garbage in there. The rough fishing is ok lots of fun you never know what you have on the line.

bt-eye

Boy! Did I open a can of Worms. Can you Imagine what pool 2 will be like when they open it and no more C&R.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

BT-EYE,

Pool 2 is one of my favorite places to fish for walleyes and white bass. Because of the C&R, the fishery does not see the heat from anglers like other areas of the river does. The summer time brings very quiet mornings all to your self with some nice fish to boot. Pool 2 remiains open year round to anglers in search for a place to drop the boat while all the lakes freeze over. You will be pleasantly surprised at the average size fish that Pool 2 is capable of producing.

Pool 2 is littered with wingdams in the middle to lower sections of this pool with most of the major ones being marked with red and green channel markers.

Good Luck

Oh yeah DaveB,

I have caught some largemouth down river of the 494 in the heat of the summer back in some of the extreme backwaters. It has not been spectacular, but consistant.

urbanrivers

I have caught a couple of largemouth as high as Watergate, one 3lbs right off a break just out of the main channel where smallies stack up.

I wonder whether the light fishing pressure comes from the C&R regs or an attitude that the fishing is always better if you drive for an hour or more. Maybe people think the river up here is still really dirty and doesn’t hold quality game fish.

But, for pure fishing enjoyment pool 2 is terrific. I had someone in the boat with me one time when he caught a 20 pound carp. That thing pulled us around for almost 10 minutes on 8 pound test before we ever saw it. The guy, an good angler, appreciated the sport even after seeing the fish. There are a couple af places where you will find excellant quality white bass, and when fished on ultralight they are great sport.

If you aren’t strickly a walleye fisherman, or someone who has to take fish then for my money pool 2, right in my backyard, is just about perfect. Weekdays you can have it to yourself and it is small enough to learn most of it quickly, except that stumpfield across from Grey Cloud, (on the right descending bank) Has anyone ever fished it with success?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.