Upper pool 4 report

• dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

With the water level falling at such a high rate of speed the walleye’s are making there way out of there backwater areas and the fishing on the upper part of the river is coming in to it’s own in the last few days. I and some friends were out on the water sun and the bite was fantastic trolling cranks and rigging and jigging leeches is a good bet with walleye being caught on all of these presentations all though all of the fish over 20″ came on shad raps with the biggest being a little over 25″ in 3’ to 7’ of water The bay city flats are starting to produce a few more fish than week’s past look for this area to really heat up as the water level keeps falling. For the next few days concentrate on back water cuts and the openings where they dump in to the main river the fish are moving back out in to the main flow. The river stage in lake city is currently 11.37 and is projected to be 8.8 on the 7th of July with the water coming down that fast most of the walleye will be filtering out of the backwater areas. Any one who fishes the upper part of the river knows where a lot of these spots are at but for a first timer just cruise the river and WI channel and you will see the areas where the cuts enter the main flow and don’t be afraid to fish the first major sand flat or hole down from these openings once the water stabilizes those spots should be some good starting points . I will be on the water wed and thurs of this week and should have some more info until then , see ya on the river and have a great 4th of July! Dustin

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

As always, Dustin’s right on the money. The rivers to the north AND south of the lake are producing better than the lake. Much better. Since Dustin covered the north end beautifully I’ll concentrate south. The fish are moving out of the backwaters and from the cuts, not all fish of course, and setting up on dams on the main channel. I spent a good portion of the day Sunday casting cranks to dams and didn’t take big numbers but all fish were legal and I did manage one eye around 8 Lb’s or so later in the afternoon. The water levels are still way above normal so look for the dams with reduced flow as well as eddies or areas of slack water near the main flow to hold the most fish.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

How about the big strech of rip rap below Lake City down to Maple Springs? I’m taking my wife up on Friday (she likes to just come with and read sometimes) and I was planning on that rip rap, but now you guys got me thinking I should be fishing other areas. We’re coming up from Trempealeau, so we can go either way.

Thanks,
    Dave

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Don’t bother with the main lake if your looking for numbers of walleyes. Now if your looking for sauger that another thing. Fished from city Pier down a mile or two yesterday and caught ton of 12 inch sauger. Only two I kept that were big enough 15 and 14 3/4 but my dad hooked into a crappie around a pound and a half that tasted nice. But what I heard while talking guys was go south and north.

What pattern crank prduced the best H2O?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That rip rap stretch isn’t holding nearly as many fish as it was 3 weeks ago. If you want to fish the lake, start at Maiden Rock and work north towards the Rush. I’ve been able to take nice fish there recently. Middle of the lake has been a noticeably tougher bite. No problem though! The fish are always biting somewhere and Maiden Rock isn’t to far to boat from just about any landing on the lake.

Shad raps. Firetiger. Sizes 5 – 8

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

H2O, Thank’s for the advice. Since we are coming from the south, are there any areas that would be worth checking out near the lower end of the lake? It’s about a 70 mile tow to Maiden Rock from my place. Not bad, but as I am just learning the Lake Pepin area I’d just as soon start near the lower end.

I really am excited about finding this board. I have fished the Trempealeau to Alma and down to Dresbach streches for quite a few year’s. I’m totally willing to report on my fishing success (or lack of). Sometime I’ll talk about the fabulous fishing I had during the “drought” years of the late 80’s. Wow, what a great time to throw crankbaits that was. Well anyway, thanks for the info and I will share likewise.

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.