Pool 4 Report

• dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

If anyone has a chance to get out in the next few days make sure you take along plenty of water it is hot , hot , hot out there you may also want to throw in a little sun screen unless you like being a crispy critter!

I covered a lot of water today as the morning bite was slow for me with a lot of smaller fish coming to the boat but as the day progressed we made our way down to the main lake and found the walleyes holding shallow in 3’ to 6’ of water. Pitching small jigs tipped with leeches worked very well, another boat that I talked to was picking up a few casting cranks shallow along the rocks and flooded willows. Along with the walleyes the white bass are shallow and feeding aggressively with a few small mouth mixed in throw lipless crank baits and small jigs reel as fast as your hand can turn the reel and you should get bit. If you do go to the lake in the next few days and want to catch legal fish think shallow I have caught some real good fish in 2’ of water the last few trips most of the people I have talked to that are having problems finding the legal fish are fishing in the deeper water you can’t catchum if there not there. Think shallow!

Good luck and I will see ya on the river!

Dustin

walleyeboys
    Live in Rochester Mn.

Thanks for the report Dustin. Sounds like I’ll get a chance to break in the new jigging rod. By any chance did yiy try long lining shallow cranks or live bait under a board? Just wondering [love trolling]. Thanks, Bill

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Bill,

I did try trolling board and cranks but we were only able hook up on some smaller fish and it is getting to be a problem keeping the white bass of your cranks don’t get me wrong I love catching white bass but when your after eye’s and you can’t keep the bass off it’s hard to put eye’s in the boat. A lot of the spots that were producing a few weeks ago before the water came up are in 8′ to 10′ of water right now and the fish seemed to be holding shallower when you try to troll cranks through theese shallower areas weede have become pretty common it can be done but one person needs to run the boat while the other person tends to the rods and keeps the cranks free of weeds. With the water dropping as fast as it is thoose fish should still be holding in the 5′ to 8′ of water but the weed growth won’t be as bad in the 5′ to 8′ of water. The trolling bite should pick up again in the next couple of days as the water levels fall and get thoose fish moving out of all the flooded trees and willows until then pitch jigs shallow and cast cranks and you will be rewarded!

See ya on the river!

Dustin

walleyeboys
    Live in Rochester Mn.

Thanks for the report. You talked me right into it!! I’ll be out Sunday so maybe run into you if you are out. Got family stuff to do Sat. Nate and Jessie are up at Mille Lacs fishing for 4 days

and has already called me to rub it in on how good the walleyes, smallies, and northerns are biting so I’m really anxious to get on the water [river]. Some people have all the luck, ha. Take care, Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.