Cast Nets

• BBKK
    IA

What size diameter cast net do I want for getting shiners during the runs? No shad, just shiners for eyes and whites. Will be throwing from the shore at the places they are always congregating. I’ve been watching guys do it for years and never paid attention to what size nets they were using.

3.5′ 1/4″ sound right? Or up it to 5′?

They run so thick that I was thinking the 3.5′ would work, and be easier to open for a newbie.

Last year I watched a couple guys fill three 5 gallon buckets with shiners for dinner, no water.. just shiners. Took them maybe 15 minutes. They said something about making fish paste with them? Might be great on spam… help take the taste out your mouth.

BBKK
    IA

A couple places they run that are easy to net at a 7′ wouldn’t fit, even with a perfect throw. Plus I cannot find any that big that are cheap. I can “buy” them off the fellas netting by giving them a couple sheepshead or a carp. I gave one a 15lb carp I snagged on a blade bait and he gave me a whole bucket of shiners. I don’t want to be spending $75-100 for one.. just wouldn’t use it that much to justify the cost.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Why don’t you just get a minnow net and be legal about it then if a 7′ net is entirely too big for the area they are running in.

Minnow net, $15.

BBKK
    IA

It is legal….

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

In mn only dip nets, traps or seines are legal to take minnow and on 12 dozen for personal use without a commercial license. Size of mesh and hoops also vary. That is why there was another response. Not sure on Iowa regs.

BBKK
    IA

Oh okay, not familiar with MN regs.

Here in IA we can net using seines, nets, cast nets, traps, etc. All shad have to be killed before arriving at a lake, but you can keep them alive for use on the river if you want. No rules about using trapped bait on multiple waters, but I don’t need to worry about that. I’ll be netting fatheads in a creek that feeds the Miss and shiners in the Miss, then using them both in the Miss.

Quote:

A valid sport fishing license is required to collect bait for individual
    use. Minnow traps not exceeding 3 feet in length may be used. Each
    trap, when in use, shall have a metal tag attached plainly labeled with
    the owner’s name and address. You can use a minnow dip net not larger
    than 4 feet in diameter, a cast net not larger than 10 feet in diameter and
    a minnow seine not longer than 20 feet and having mesh not smaller than
    one-quarter inch bar measure.

BBKK
    IA

A minnow net wouldn’t reach them fast enough. Those little buggers are quick! The second your dip net hits the surface they are out of there. It would have to have at least a 15′ handle to reach out to them.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

So get a cheap 3′ net then…

No need to get upset… Your suggestion of a 7′ net is not even legal here. 5′ radius or 10′ dia max.

I ended up buying a 4′ net. Took some practice but I’ve got the hang of it now. Just waiting for the bait to start running. Did see a guy the other day with some shiners so hopefully they are starting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.