iCe cOndItiOnS

• bosman
    DeSoto, WI

They say 1″ of rainfall equates to 10″ of snowfall (plus/minus 3″). Applying some simple math to the June 2013 localized total rainfall of just over 13″ and I’d still be shoveling!

The effects of such an influx of water in a short amount of time on the upper Midwest drainage system is far from good. The cause and effect relationships are numerous and very much resemble a 1,000 piece set of dominoes spread in many directions. Dry creek beds transform into raging rivers. Tributaries feeding the Mississippi swell with the runoff sending water in unwelcomed areas. Bluff side homes are “on the edge” or get wiped out from mud slides. The two homes pictured below are just south of Lansing, IA and are a result of last months storms. A major mud slide has the section of Hwy 35 between Lynxville and PDC shut down while crews continue to work on the clean up effort as well.

If you’ve never had the pleasure of participating in a flood clean up effort ~ count your blessings. Power & raw sewage in urbanized areas are where the trouble begins. The silt left behind from receding water level mimics a creamy frosting cake spread. It has the uncanny ability to get between every nook and cranny possible and ranges in thickness from a light coating to a couple of inches. The run off erosion (silt) from this June’s flood was exceptionally bad with such a late spring growing session and exposed fields. Needless to say the Mississippi River was the lucky recipient of this influx of water & silt. Water levels rose over 3 feet in less than 48 hours while transforming into a light chocolate colored rumbling sea. The roller gates went up in an effort to speed up “the flush” and maintain a 9′ navigation channel. The rising water level over takes islands picking up debris in the form of anything NOT attached to the ground or securely tied off. When water levels are high current is faster. The combination of high, fast, and dirty water laced with submerged debris makes for some very dangerous navigation.

Fishing has taken a back seat in recent weeks for obvious reasons. But I’m happy to report with every passing day conditions continue to improve. The river has crested but descent will be slow due to all the rain/runoff coming at us from up North. While it’s showing signs of clearing up a bit, it’s still high and fast. NOT your typical July 4th weekend river this year. Being safe and taking precautions for river users this weekend is an understatement. A tub boat (aka – experienced river guys) capsized this morning up at LD 7. I don’t know any other details at this time but I’d be willing to bet a small fortune that high & fast river conditions played a role. Hopefully everybody made it to shore.

All in all in got me to thinking…..I’d much rather have a sore back from shoveling snow and tread thin ice than deal with the adversity of high volume of water in a short amount of time.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Bos:

I feel your pain, having spent time on the river in Muscatine during the ’93 flood… Its so amazing, quietly, very quietly, the river just keeps coming up!!! I’ll take ice over that any time!!!

Mark

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.