Boat Anchors

• Wheenie
    Minneapolis

I have purchased a number of boat anchors over the years and can’t seem to find one that holds well in current. I have a Lund 1900 ProV that is difficult to hold above dams, etc.

Any recommendations? At this point, I would be willing to spend about anything so long as it works.

I am looking for something that will hold in soft bottom conditions as well as rock.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

I have heard many good things about Richter Anchors. For that reason I ordered one off their web site. Have not had a chance to use it yet, so can’t give you any first hand experience. Check them out at richteranchors.com

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

You have a big rig..I really like river anchors I use a 28 lb..you have to get position on the dams when the current is high like this year you need to put plenty of rope out..I’m fishing from a 1700..I don’t think a guy need spend a fortune You might be asking your anchor to do to much this year..Buy more rope!!

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I use what they call a sea anchor it is shaped like a U and digs into the bottom and holds pretty darn good the only problem is that sometimes it holds to good and you need to use the boat to free the anchor from the bottom of the river make sure you have a good strong rope and a good tie to the boat and anchor and you should be ok.I have’nt lost one yet but I have pulled up many others. The one I have is a 28lb and it seems to hold my 1750 crestliner very well depending on boat traffic.

Dustin

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I have had excellent luck with the Navy anchor style(2 flutes), mine are only a 15lb and 10 lb for a 16’er. 28lb has been the biggest ones i’ve seen around here. They’re not as expensive as a WaterSpike and seem to hold better in the river. The funny thing is that I hardly anchor anymore on the river…always moving!

Good luck,

Ferny.

DONOTDELETE

I was going to offer up WaterSpike as an option. Have used on the hard clay bottoms of KS reservoirs in big wind, use with about 2 foot of chain connected directly to anchor, and like in above posts..if all else fails…….more rope. have used up to 200 foot to hold in big winds. More rope get a nice side to side “drift” to cover water while achored.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.