Lake Pepin Springs

• Detage

This summer I will be doing a project regarding stratification (radius/depth/distribution), temp, CFS, etc on springs in the Lake Pepin area. A few locations have been identified including one harbor. If anyone has any locations to provide more sample sites it would be very appreciated. External sources (creeks or seeps) may be beneficial but lake bed sources likely will be the most conducive to gathering info. Thanks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Could you explain who you are and what your doing?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Every spot I have found on the river so far that has had some spring water coming in has always held fish, I think someone’s trying to pull the wool over some eyes and get some fishing spots…..

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Quote:

I think someone’s trying to pull the wool over some eyes and get some fishing spots…..

Detage

Interest arises from a geology class. Course selected to fill a science requirement in the liberal arts curriculum at small, private college. Please note, I am NOT a geology major.

Thanks for the positive response in PM.

Detage

Details are TBD. The following are some primary ideas. The 2 dimensional area of the spring could be measured by placing temporary bobbers in areas where a subnormal temp is indicated. To measure stratification and volume, color coded bobbers could be used correlating to the feet off bottom an abnormal temp is received. This will be the 3rd dimension and will result in the info necessary to calculate volume of the cold water. CFS is anticipated to be a bit more difficult to determine. One idea discussed at this time is displacing the cold water and measuring the amount of time it takes for the prior cold temp at the site to be reached. I am open to ideas.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

that’s why you college people make the big bucks, bc that makes my brain hurt

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Lot of variables you will be dealing with. The entire lake will stratify as soon as July depending on temps etc., so you better get out there early once flow and clarity settle. Most consistent data early will be from trout streams dumping in, but that will depend on everything from flow, clarity, and wind. Most points have springs.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Wow..? Ya all have fun with that now dont ya hear. ….rrr

Quote:

Details are TBD. The following are some primary ideas. The 2 dimensional area of the spring could be measured by placing temporary bobbers in areas where a subnormal temp is indicated. To measure stratification and volume, color coded bobbers could be used correlating to the feet off bottom an abnormal temp is received. This will be the 3rd dimension and will result in the info necessary to calculate volume of the cold water. CFS is anticipated to be a bit more difficult to determine. One idea discussed at this time is displacing the cold water and measuring the amount of time it takes for the prior cold temp at the site to be reached. I am open to ideas.

stuart
    Mn.

There is a spring in my step whenever I fish Pepin.It can be measured by the width of my gait and the duration of my smile.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Quote:

Your doing it all wrong…

j/k

mudcatkid
    On water

I dont know how you would measure spring flow into the lake from the lake bed. However, quantifying the thermally impacted area (i.e. cooler water) wouldnt be too hard as long as you have some software that can do most the work for you (like ArcGIS or Surfer) and you can collect good thermal data in the field. You could “easily” make a few maps with isotherms of various temps. If you have isotherms at certain depths, you can use the software like ArcGIS to figure out the surface area at each temp range and mutiply by your depth between isotherms to figure out an estimated volume of water at a given temp. It takes a little hocus pocus from a computer but it can be done.

I can’t help ya find any springs though.

Detage

Thanks to those that had positive input. Stage one complete. Got some good data on 2 spots. Back up to finish up a couple more in a week.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.