Motor Probs!!

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I need some help from you motor-heads out there. While sitting at the dock waiting to pull out on Sat I noticed a mist on my back. This is weird so I go to check out the motor. The water pump is working fine, but I notice the exhaust it spitting out some water. I’m not much of a mechanic, but this tells something is wrong. So how wrong could it be?? Is there a head gasket out?? I have 90hp johnson outboard. Also any suggestions for a trustworthy OMC mechanic?? Thanks!!!

herb
    6ft under

waterfowler,

I have the same thing happening with my evinrude 88 spl, which is the same as a 90 without the oil inj. Never really pay any attention to it. Humidity might have something to do with it. I know it has done this since day 1 but not all the time.

Any marine mechanics out there with a good word on this?

herb

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

the best johnson mechanic I know of is Dan Kern of Bay city…… just call Bay City Hardware and ask for Dan…. He is pretty busy but that is because he is good…… very reasonable as well….

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks Mavzer!!

I called a couple local shops here in the cities and they say I’m suppose to be pumping that much water out of that motor. I have never noticed it before though, but then I’m not usually hanging over the back of the motor while fishing. I think I’ll still get it checked out for peace of mind.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m not able to find a number for the place you suggested mavzer. Can you help a dumb city kit out???

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

the number is (715) 594-3118….. I know he is a busy man but if your willing to wiate his prices I think are still 25$ AN HOUR,,,,,,,,,,well worth it… good luck…..

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Waterfowler

All outboards at an idle will spit water out the upper exhaust outlet. Just a normal thing until you throttle up and then it will quit in gear cause then it gets sucked out through the prop exhaust.

Tom P

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info guys. I feel pretty stupid for not knowing this, but it’s better to know than ruin the motor. Thanks for everything. I’ll keep that number on hand for future reference.

Danger
    Apple Valley, MN

I have an idea… maybe you should make sure you have enough gas…LOL (inside joke… the waterfowler about had us stranded in the middle of the Mississippi with no fuel!!)

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

you might want to check next tiem to see if there is water running out the back of the motor too…..our 50 merc. did this once and we had to rip the head off and apply some silicon and it fixed it up just fine…..just something to check

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

My 50 Mariner does the same thing. I pulled the cowling and it appears as though the tube running to the tell-tale just rests on it with no clamp or tight seal. I figured that it was done on purpose to keep the cooling system running in case the tell-tale got clogged w/ gravel dust or some other foolishness.

I’ve never seen an outboard that didn’t spit some at low rpms. Can water inside the cowling cause any serious problems?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.