Trolling Rods

• Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I had such a great response, when I was looking to solve my rod storage problems, and I think got that licked thanks again . Now looking to buy a new trolling rod. What do you guys recomend , length, material, and type of action?

Thanks

Tom P

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I certainly can’t tell you what’s best for you, but here’s what I like:

I prefer a minimum of 6′ length, material is irrelavent to me if we’re referring to rod holders, otherwise, a high modulus graphite rod that won’t weight your arm all day. The strength of the rod can vary with the fish I’m after, but if, for example, I would normally have a 6-12lb. line test rod, I’d either opt for an extra fast action, or upgrade to a 8-17lb. rod with a fast action. I like to have a little extra strength for pulling lures and weights but capable of establishing a quick hookset when the crank gets hammered as well. That’s it for me! Good luck!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Tom,

Just out of curiosity what did you do to solve your rod storage problem?

Steve

<<<Life is Fishing, the rest is just details!>>>

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m always full of opinions so here is what I use. When pulling cranks bigger than #5’s I like a 7-8′ glass rod in a medium heavy action, for #4 or 5’s I use my med heavy graphites in a 6’6″ length. I like the glass rods because they give when the fish hits, I’ve had the hooks pull out many times when trolling at high speeds using my graphites. But these rods do get heavy on long days. They also work well when running boards on the outside. Just my two cents!!

Beaver

I use 7 1/2′ Ugly Sticks. They`ve got some decent backbone and the fiberglass tip. I run 20# Fireline so I have to have something with a soft tip. I think they are ML action and not too expensive. I use `em for trolling cranks and for pulling 3-ways. Great rod in my opinion. Beav

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I personaly like the Gary Parsons and Keith Kavajecz signature series rod from Bass Pro Shop the 8ft medium actoin rod is IM-6 graphite, match this with 20lb test 6lb diamater spiderwire braid and a diawa line counter reel and your ready to go and the price of the rod is very reasonable only $59.99 but the reels are pretty spendy but I think they’re worth it.

See ya on the river!

Dustin

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

One more thing I forgot to add about the rod it is great for storage because it has a retractable butt section and when broke down it’s only about 6′ 6″ long and makes it a lot easier to get in the rod locker.

See ya on the river!

Dustin

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Fishhunt58

Rob gave me the answer. He told me to get Hoeller rod storage holders and mount them on the gunwhales. These are the same rod holders Lund uses inside the rod boxes. Rob has never lost a rod out of them yet. But what I did just in case was get two small plastic bunge cords to tie them down when rough and running. So far so good. Thanks Rob.

Tom P

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I absolutely love the St. Croix Avid’s, and plan to try the shore casting rods soon! They are glass. Like Beav said, glass is awesome for pulling cranks, as long as the backbone is there to set the hook. I prefer 9′ rods for backwater trolling.

Tuck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.