North Lake on Pool 3

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

Does anybody have any information on fishing what’s called North Lake on Pool 3. I’ve entered the lake from the main channel through Miley Run and have motored around a bit and fished a little but never have really found many fish. I was back there on Tuesday evening and saw about 4-5 other boats fishing. I trolled the MN shoreline but didn’t catch anything there. Has anybody found many northerns or bass in there? What about sunfish, crappies, or carp? I know Tuck posted a couple of weeks ago that he did well trolling for walleyes in there. Does Twin Lakes or Sharp Muskrat Lake hold many fish? I’m just looking for general information. It looks interesting back in there, especially with all the high water and current out in the channel. Thanks.

FYI – On Thursday evening my buddy and I fished just south of the Prescott ramp and caught a bunch of white bass. The fish were chasing minnows to the surface in the fast current. We caught them casting 3/8 oz. Rooster Tails and slowly retrieving them upstream. The fish were nice size with the largest about 16-17″.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Mileys is a good bet when the water recedes a bit. When it is rolling like it has been, it is a tough bite. I generally use noisy lures when the chocolate milk water hits, and go as shallow as possible! My theory is the fish have a shorter area in which to ambush their prey, and it is easier for them to do that when they hang out on shallow water. It’s also where the minnows are! Walleyes still have to eat when the water is high. Use Rattle traps or Wally Divers, or Thundersticks in shallow. In Mileys, fish the tail races off the main channel where it dumps into North Lake. It will be really shallow. When the water is ripping like now, I like to use a big Navy anchor, and hook it to a side cleat to get the boat to move around in the current. Fan cast the area, and bring it in up the current. Let more rope out from time to time to change position. Brewers cut a little to the east has been productive as well. Muskrat and some of the others back there might be a little hard to get into with bigger boats, but the area is beatuiful to look at. I don’t spend much time fishing back in there though. There are a lot of bass in North Lake. It’s a little known seceret, so don’t tell anyone!

Tuck

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.