Fenwick Rods

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m looking at a possible purchase of a Techna AV rod. Wondering what anyone might know or think about them. They’re supposed to be great but are being discontinued. The replacement is the HMG series. By perception, that’s a lesser quality rod. Any feedback or reason, other than price, that I should go for the HMG instead?

DONOTDELETE

maybe cuz the HMG has been a great rod……….those have been around for yrs……unless I am thinking of a different one, but think those have been in Cabelas for many yrs… I have been using the Berkely Pulse.which i love, but they only made those bad boys for a yr……companies must go back to dance with ones they brung…lol…..my 2 cents Ken……..out

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve got the techna AV in a 7′ med action. I picked it up extremely cheap. I love the rod. It compares very closely to the St. Croix Avid series. I would like to find a 6’6″ med casting for live bait rigging. All the gander has left in my area is spinning. What are they asking for a price?? I have seen them as cheap as 99.00. They were a $239.00 rod at the regular price. I still need to save my pennies for that legend elite I’ve had my eye on for some time now. Too many toys and not enough cash!!!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I have a Lamiglas Custom, 7’6″ 2-piece ultralight that is in direct competition with the Legend Elite/GLX models. Custom formed grips with these little eyelets that prevent all line slap. This guy that makes them does a better job than the factories and about $100 cheaper! I can set you up to talk to him if you’re interested. I’m just looking at this Techna cuz the price is AWESOME! I know what they went for so I’m wondering just how nice they are/aren’t? I may just wait and have another custom done. 7’6″ and it’s by FAR the lightest, most sensitive rod in my arsenal. Even had enough backbone to horse a couple pike that came by surprise earlier this spring. It also balances with anything you put on it too. From a Sedona 2000 to a micro light, the tip is always up just a little bit, with no help from me. It’s an amazing work of art and I AM considering having another one made this fall so maybe we could order a couple and get a discount? Worth a shot anyway!

JimW
    SE MN

Maybe they have improved them over the years, but about 4-5 yeasr ago I was working at Gander Mountain and Burger brothers PT. The rod we saw returned the most was the Fenwick. I am sure like most products these days there are some good ones and bad ones, just letting you know what I know.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ll think about it. I get a pretty good buy on the st. croix’s so hard to pass up. I do see alot to fenwicks that are broken, but most cases it’s the car trunk and doors that do the most damage. Still, what price you getting them at??? Send a private.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

My usual fishin buddies use G Loomis rods. I have stuck with St Croix’s and I love ’em! I just added another 7′ medium action on Tuesday so that all I have now are St Croixs. I know a lot is personal, but for around $100, I dont see how you can beat them.

urbanrivers

I use a HMG 6’6″ medlight for light weight tubes, and love it. The tip is really sensitive and the rod has good backbone. It is a little heavier than the Avid but about the same as the Lowrider. The lifetime warranty has come in handy too. I have never tried the Techna AV so will not comment on it. In general though I have found that when the bite is on it doesn’t matter what I use and when it shuts down nothing works. My better half reminds me everytime I come home with a new rod that I use to use fiberglass and still use them all the time for crankbaits. With the exception of a few finesse presentations really high end rods with ultra feel do not outfish other rods. Besides the cheaper rods now are better than the really expensive ones of even 8 years ago. I fish alot with kids in my boat and inexperienced fisherman. Not having expensive stuff that I would be really anal about is a plus. One of my sons cast a rig into the “sippi” a couple of years ago while he was learning to use a spinning outfit and I think he appreciated my reaction. I know I felt like a positive role model that day.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I hear ya urban! I have my stuff and they have their stuff. It’s good enough and they can trash it all they want because it just isn’t steep enough to matter. Thanks for the HMG input.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.