A New Exotic Threat to the Upper Mississippi River

• chirp
    Rochester

I thought this would be a picture of Briank

run&gun
    MN

That’s to bad for spring lake,it was getting a lot better. Most likely someone wanted to get rid of their water garden or thought these plants looked nice. What a shame. These plants have know benefit to wildlife at all. Not sure about the chemical removal but we will see. It’s the right thing to do but can you get it all and has it spread further. Maybe it has went downriver through the culvert in the dike and made it way to the merrick park backwaters.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I thought this would be a picture of Briank

In the pink boxers!

Jake_A

This really makes me want to I love fishing Spring Lake in the winter. I hope they can treat this so it gets better. So many big fish in there its a shame some hole would go dump their pretty plants in there for snits and giggles

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

This really makes me want to I love fishing Spring Lake in the winter. I hope they can treat this so it gets better. So many big fish in there its a shame some hole would go dump their pretty plants in there for snits and giggles

Usually not people dumping, it is blue herons. DNR doesnt want to admit it because they are “good birds”. Blue herons go to back yards and eat the koi and other pond fish out of private ponds, then while they are in there they get parts of the plants attached to their feet or feathers and then when they land in the river it gets spread. The plants in question can be split. What I mean by that is if you break off a little 1″ piece and toss it in a fish tank, it will sprout roots and attach itself and start growing. So even a little piece of stem transported can start a whole new plant.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Birds transporting AIS!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

No f’ing way man…

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

Birds transporting AIS!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

No f’ing way man…

Not possible, only fishermen do that!

bigpike

Technically isn’t man AIS to this area? Even the natives.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.