colored braided line

• ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

This year I started useing colored line and it makes life way more easier for jigging. And pitching but when the water becomes clear,would it bother the fish from bitting?? Do you use it in the winter?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I have been using colored line for pitching applications on the river and lakes for 2 years now. Weather I am finding better spots or logging more time may be a factor but I feel my catch has gone up quite a bit from it simply as a visible strike indicator.

So if there are any drawbacks from fish being spooked from it I guess I have yet to see them as my catches rates are up.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I’ve been using braided line for many years now. Fireline Crystal, Suffix 832 for the last 2 years, Power Pro….most have some sort of color to them.
    In situations where non-visible lines have an advantage, I simply tie on an 18-24″ leader of flourocarbon line. My preference is to use as small of a swivel as possible to make that connection but line to line also works. In cold weather, the swivel connection is easier to tie.

riverdan

All my rods are spooled with 4lb fireline crystal, I’ve been using it for years and I don’t think it effects the bite at all, I use to think mono was the only way, till I took up handlining, you drag a 1 1/4 pound weight on 60lb cable and x amount of feet behind you have a rapala, spinner or whatever and you would think that wouldn’t work but it does and is very effective, just my .02

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I favor Crystal and tie right to the jig without any headaches. When I was a Power Pro user I tied direct too. I found a crappie jig in a bush tied directly to some chartreuse braid that was lost by a popular pool 4 angler and it was tied direct.

Just my opinion here….the braids are at best an opaque line and don’t carry any light thru absorbtion. Monos can act like optical fibers and allow light to enter thru the sides where the line is out of the water. This light gets focused at the tag end where its trimmed at the jig. The end of the tag can glow in the color of the line and can do so with intensity. I have had instances where my colored mono using an identcal bait to a friend in the boat would not produc a fish. As soon as a three foot clear leader was tied in the fish hit.

If you stick with braid I don’t see you having much trouble and the braid will allow you to feel every tiny “tick”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.