Break from the Mississippi

• greg_r
    Woodbury MN

After finishing the last indoor sportshow for the season and being barricaded off the landings on the mighty Miss, it was time for the Skeeter Boat Center Team to throw a change up and head south for some warm weather reel screamin adventures with Dave Marquart, myself and good friend Tom Nepper. Destination: North Andros Bahamas for some fly fishing action chasing Bonefish on the gin clear salt flats that are known as the Bonefish capital of the world. With a quick transfer in Atlanta it was on to Nassau then on to a small prop plane to jump over to Andros. Arriving at our destination Knoll’s Landing and greeted by our host Diane Knoll. She made it her top priority to cater our stay with the best hospitality possible. We quickly unpacked and geared up for some casting practice out on the beach before our adventure the next day. At sunrise the next am we were greeted by our guide Rodney Miller, known as the Andros Angler. Being a charter captain/guide myself, I knew that he was on his game by putting us on the right flats all day with the sun,light breeze and rising tide at our backs to have the best shot at fooling these wiley flats rockets. It soon was clear when the roving packs of fish started mowing up the salt flat like a flock of geese headed south for the winter that we were gonna have some game on here. Literally hundreds of fish to a pack moving towards us thruout the trip. After having several bonefishing trips prior to this one, I knew that it just was not gonna be as easy as you may think. Fishing in ankle deep crystal clear water with 5 foot lemon sharks following you all day makes these fish more nervous than a school girl a month after prom. They had a sense of knowing exactly how far our rookie casting skills could drop that fly and any closer and it was like a handgrenade exploding when the fly landed on their approach. After several stalks and mistakes we were able to fool some that were not as shy to the fly. Hooking up on one of these flats rockets will have you 150 yards into your backing in about .5 seconds and its off to the races with a screamin drag that’s approaching a nuclear meltdown. When the day ended we were greeted at the dock by Diane with ice cold local brews to chill the 90+ degree heat and some R&R till the following day. Our guide Rodney had us on all the right flats thruout the trip to keep our reels smoking till the end of our stay. A great trip to cure those river blues till the spring floods recede on the mighty Miss.
    Thanks to Diane at http://www.knollslanding.com and our guide Rodney Miller for a trip of a lifetime.
    After a quick trip to Chamberlin SD next week for some eye action we’ll be back booking guide trips on Pool 2,3,4 and giving demo rides in the new Skeeter WX-2100. Test drive the new Yamaha offshore 300 and see why its the game changer.
    See ya on the water.
    Greg Rudisill
    http://www.walleyeadventures.com

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I am SO JEALOUS…what a great trip! Great pictures too.

Rootski

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I am SO JEALOUS…what a great trip! Great pictures too.

Rootski

I love FLATS fishing…but my guide doesn’t like a fly rod in my hands.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Love FLATS fishing…but my guide doesn’t like a fly rod in my hands.

No worries BK. This summer I’m going to teach you how to handle a flyrod. We have a Pool 4 White Bass adventure planned, right?

Seriously I’ve always dreamed of chasing Bonefish. I **think** I’m pretty good with a flyrod, but you don’t know if you can hit major league pitching until you face a major league pitcher, right? On a Bonefish Flat I think I’d find out in a hurry how good I was.

Rootski

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

rumriverrat1

Glad you guys had such a great time. It sounds like it is better then the Caymans or Cozumel.Guess I will have to settle for the Rum.
    Your Dad

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-DepthOutdoors Rum Rat!!!

Where are you from?

rumriverrat1

Steve, I live in Wyoming ,Mn. I grew up on the Rum and fished it all my life. And I am really Gregs dad.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.