Pool 8 Report 4/8/21

• Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

After a fun few weeks I find myself teetering on the edge of selling all my walleye gear and entering a sheepshead tournament. The last week has been really tough finding active fish. My best luck has been finding shallow rocks and trolling over then with husky jerk. Water temps are pushing 60 which is crazy this time of year.

In unrelated news, the USGS has been netting asian carp with great success which is not good to hear. Apparently they taste good according to the folks from Missouri.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Tom, I was out with mile mark 714 on p7 a few times this last week. Here a strange one for ya. We pounded them on plastics. Mostly 3” paddle tails/ swim baits. Very few on cranks. That is so abnormal for us. When the water temps get over 42, we normally smack the heck on them on #5 & #7 shadraps or variations of them. I down sized to 4 cm YoZuri crank in shad pattern and got some big girls in the 24” class. Did great on some lipless baits worked like blades. But by the end of the night, plastics ruled. Very different experience for us, since normally I’m a cranking fanatic

Attachments:
    1. 877F486A-6E2B-4B21-A982-2504E028270A.jpeg

2. 109E283F-0FD5-453B-9272-A4E7777F4366.jpeg

3. A8A92466-E577-47B5-A47D-A490C61EC16F.jpeg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

After a fun few weeks I find myself teetering on the edge of selling all my walleye gear and entering a sheepshead tournament. The last week has been really tough finding active fish. My best luck has been finding shallow rocks and trolling over then with husky jerk. Water temps are pushing 60 which is crazy this time of year.

In unrelated news, the USGS has been netting asian carp with great success which is not good to hear. Apparently they taste good according to the folks from Missouri.

I can’t believe this isn’t getting more press or discussion around here. I know a big focus is on Pool 4, but if these cannot be controlled the fishery is going to suffer in all pools eventually. From what I’ve read about areas south, it happens slowly and most deny they’re an issue until it’s not feasible to attempt anything.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Tom, I was out with mile mark 714 on p7 a few times this last week. Here a strange one for ya. We pounded them on plastics. Mostly 3” paddle tails/ swim baits. Very few on cranks. That is so abnormal for us. When the water temps get over 42, we normally smack the heck on them on #5 & #7 shadraps or variations of them. I down sized to 4 cm YoZuri crank in shad pattern and got some big girls in the 24” class. Did great on some lipless baits worked like blades. But by the end of the night, plastics ruled. Very different experience for us, since normally I’m a cranking fanatic

Awesome to hear Randy! It’s definitely been a different spring but that is what makes the river fun.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Sheepshead and Walleye do not prefer the same current strength. Sheepshead always prefer less current than walleye.
    If you’re catching sheepshead in current, take note of the speed, and find more current to find the walleyes.

Regardless of conditions, the rule above always plays out true.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.