Pool 8 & 9 Largemouth

• lawerence ecklor
    Coon Valley, WI.

Nancy and I have had a 50 and a 75 Bass days in the last week and a half… when you catch that number in a day most of them are going to be cookie cutter 10-12 inchers.. almost all of those bass were on dropshot with 5 inch dragontail finesse worm or 5 inch ribworm with chart mini twist tail. Both in plum or grape with green specks. Whenever I start worrying about bass future populations are weakening we have days like this.. we are so lucky to live in this part of the country.. I don’t guide on these pools anymore except for ice fishing…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So were they schooling and have fat bellies? If so, did they puke up any of what they were eating?

I once had an outing like that where we were catching small bass that were schooled up. My sister-in-law’s dad brought me there. He ended up keeping a few and when they were filleted we found out what they were schooling up…little bullheads.

lawerence ecklor
    Coon Valley, WI.

LARGE SCHOOLS.. But no above surface thrashing.. and none of them spit anything up although I know there are a ton of logperch in both areas we caught them in.. on the Mississippi if you find an area with lot’s of bass that seem to stay there all year round.. you often see the logperch jumping out of the water ahead of them to try and get away..

riverruns
    Inactive

OK. What the heck is a logperch? I’ve fished the river for a long time. Am I missing this word? Thanks.

lawerence ecklor
    Coon Valley, WI.

Best solution is to Google for pic.. if you fish slop much down this way(pool 8 and 9) you will see a darker about 2-4 inch semi-blunt nose fish jump out of the water frightened either by the frog or my whats tracking your frog and twice that I can remember, I have actually snagged one running swim-jig. They have a sort of pug nose and on 8 and 9 they really are more solid colored than perch markings. Until I explained them in detail to fisheries biologist I had always assumed they were baby dogfish. They look somewhat similar to a gobbie.. Lots of other creatures swimming around out there that you see fishing 200 + days a year. Last year during the Spring bass pre-spawn run we snagged blue back herring… I see them fishing down south every year and recognized them right away.. as a matter of fact I had a blue back herring pattern stickbait lure and the colorization was almost identical..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Here’s a picture. I think I’ve seen them before. It’s a darter.

Attachments:
    1. logperch.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.