Pool 4 March 18-19 2016 outlook?

• Dan Kraft

Hey guys, new to the forum! Myself along with a couple buddies are looking to head to Redwing the night of the 18th and fish the 19th for some Mississippi prespawn walleyes. How are things looking currently and what do you guys expect in the next couple weeks? I’m from Iowa so I would think this cold air and fresh snow put them into a negative attitude for the time being. Thanks for any info!

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Bite has been slow as of late. Things change daily on the river so hard to judge how it will be at that time. One day they are biting other not. Just need to come up and try.

Dan Kraft

Thanks! Any locations better than others in pool 4? Also coming from Iowa so what boat ramp would you suggest.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

There is a whole lot of water. Fish are NOT only up by the dam. That time of year you won’t be alone. There will be boat from the lake to the dam. He fish will be spread out.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Boat ramp I suggest everts. They will also help you with tackle and bait and some info to get started. Not sure what other ramps will be open by then. It is worth the few bucks for launching for the info.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome Dan!

Mike’s a great Pool 4 stick. Solid advise.

It is the Mississippi and she has her own set of rules that she changes without notice…frequently. )

hawkeye….eyes

was up there last weekend, saw some small eyes caught, i’m also from iowa and last weekend was my maiden voyage to the mighty miss. will be back there again this weekend. never know what will happen.

Dan Kraft

How deep do guys fish up there. Talked to someone down here and he recommended 70′. Am I clueless on river fishing or is he out in cloud 9???

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

Here we go…

Don’t fish 70′. Don’t fish in 50 or 40 either. Lots of good fish to be caught in the 20′ range as well as much shallower.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I spoke with three anglers coming off the water yesterday.

Boat #1: Went all the way down to the head of the lake and saw eyes on the camera in most every place they looked. All were tight to the bottom. Never caught a fish.

Boat #2: He’s a regular and fishing the tourney. Boated around 50 fish and has high hopes of being in the money on the tourney. One angler fishing next to him boated a 10ish pound walleye. I’ve been asked not to say anymore.

Boat #3 Confirmed the 10ish pound walleye sighting. This fella had a limit of keepers. He was using plastics up stream of Everts. When I asked what color he said it didn’t matter. Because I know this fella I can say he wasn’t fishing the scour hole.

Joejk81

You’ll be 20ft or less, in fact pitching to shore in 1ft and retrieving plastics or blades can be very rewarding!!!!! Dan Kraft from Renwick? Just curious. Lots of fish up there and don’t spend all your time up by the dam there’s alot of spots elsewhere you don’t have to deal with 100’s of other boats. I fish it and can do well some days but I like to hit pool 2 cause it’s catch & release so there’s not as much of a crowd. Look for transition areas and current breaks or slack water areas or current seams and you’ll find fish then you just have to figure out what they want.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What Joseph said. If a person just stays in the dam area they are only fishing 1/11th of the fishable water.

Dan Kraft

I’m from Goldfield but not the “Dan Kraft” of Kraft trucking. I work in Renwick at the co-op as a custom applicator so it’s confusing have 2 Dan Kraft’s half mile away from the other. And yea fishing edges and current breaks was the plan I had. Jigs with spinners and working lipless crank baits all over pool 4 is what our plans is. I thought 70′ seemed dramatic. Thanks for the info. We fish the Sturgeon Weir in Saskatchewan every fall and never fish any deeper thank 25′.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s a couple from yesterday. Give you something to think about until you guys arrive. )

Attachments:
    1. Unknown-Contributor.jpg

2. Alex-Hartman-White-Blade-15.jpg

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

Heading to Evert’s either this weekend or next. What is the cost to launch there?

Dan Kraft

5 dollars is what they told me

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

thanks Dan. Got the alumacraft out of storage this weekend and looking forward to getting it on the water soon.

Dan Kraft

Same here! 1989 Alumacraft Backtroller with a 40hp Johnson tiller is ready to rock! Waiting on my new reels to arrive and we’re golden! Hopefully the bite is good and it’s not pouring or super windy!

Jordan

We caught 30-40 fish today but nothing over 15 inches sadly. Didnt see anyone else even boat a fish (minnow whatever you want to say). Live bait is where it’s at.

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

How is the water clarity there right now?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Depends where a person is checking. Between 2 and 3 feet.

David Blais

Where and what is the scour hole that everyone gets excited about??

The crazy deep hole by the damn?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Where and what is the scour hole that everyone gets excited about??

Most people call it the “nursery”. smirk

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

My name is steve…and I’m a scourholeaholic…#scourholersanomous crazy

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

“Trolling” is common among scour-holers I guess lol

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

(First time I’ve used the word troll without describing a little furry guy..)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.