pool 4 dead sea

• lunker33
    excelsior

slow or what? I have to assume there were a good 200 boats on Saturday and no reports…

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

There is a current thread in the general discussion forum I posted on. Yes, lots of boats. Yes, very slow. My boat got about 12 (mostly walleyes). All but 2 were tiny. Didn’t see many fish caught.

Mayy

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

hah Reactor was down.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

With the changing roller gates, melting snow run off and the flow “stepping up” to almost 24k cfps, the fish will seldom be caught in the middle of the river by the dam.

More and better fish will be caught in the current seams on the edge of the main channel connecting to a back water.

As one fantastic river angler once explained to me “at this time of year, think of the pregnant woman in a park on a very windy day. They want to find a park bench to rest on behind a wind break, a tree, a rock or shelf. These will be found in the edges of the river (not always shallow).”

Current is a waste of energy for a fish, that means they will have to eat more to obtain their goal which is to spawn. The best spots will be where a fish can rest and food it’s brought to it by the current.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Notice the “steps”? Each time the flow levels, fish find a spot to rest and feed. When the flow steps up again, many of those fish will move to a better more out of the current location.

Attachments:
    1. boromir.png

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For all the reactor buffs. Here’s the water temps from Monday, Feb 22 until today.

Sunlight will have more of an effect on the water temps then the warm water discharge of the nuke plant. (unless something goes wrong. lol!)

But then again, I don’t pretend to be an expert walleye guy or nuclear engineer. )

Attachments:
    1. boromir-1.png

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Scour hole was kicking ’em out coffee

beretta

RRR if u don’t like people catching fish out of the hole go sit out their and hold up a big sign cry vaby they buy a fishing license to

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

What’s a vaby? Is that like vaping?

mr. sauger25

I’m no expert but I starting fishing pool 4 10 years ago and this winter by far has been the slowest I’ve ever seen and it isn’t even close maybe the scour hole victims are catching up with the fishery very strange

riverruns
    Inactive

I’m no expert but I starting fishing pool 4 10 years ago and this winter by far has been the slowest I’ve ever seen and it isn’t even close maybe the scour hole victims are catching up with the fishery very strange

If there is not a person who has not seen a slow down in the catch rate of walleye, sauger, crappie, and bluegill on the river from 10 years ago, to the past 3 years(4) raise their hands. Ask any warden on the river. Those of you who have not seen how it was 5, 10, 15, and on years ago,you have not seen the good fishing on the river. How is that striper population going on pool 4? Gone also. I don’t have any idea what’s happening and I may be way off? I think the river is not holding the fish it did in the past?
    Shawn

Buckeye86
    Inactive

If you want to be ignorant and fish the scour hole hold a sign up in your boat that says “I don’t care about the fish but I bought a license”! Then u can go home and brag to your friends that you caught 100 fish today and killed all but a few.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

If you want to take your fishing license to the scour hole feel free. Please take home the first 6 you catch and leave.I’ll

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

This might be the first time the “scour hole” post started on Feb 29th. )

Normally we’re a couple weeks into March.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Scour hole was kicking ’em out coffee

I thought that was you I saw up there last weekend hah wave

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

RRR if u don’t like people catching fish out of the hole go sit out their and hold up a big sign cry vaby they buy a fishing license to

Must be trolling? with the name Killneyes & @Deepwaterwalleykiller….

Buckeye86
    Inactive

+1 on the TROLLer

lunker33
    excelsior

wow! reports on discharge, temps, “nuclear engineering”, the scour hole, and fishing!!!

Thank you!!!!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

…Kicking out what, dead fish from 40 to 65fow… …. rrr

Yeah I witnessed a few get snagged er…umm… caught from the depths

beretta

I’m just a everyday fisherman not a professional like you guys that know everything so the amount of fish that come out of the hole that died is minimal to the fish that everybody’s keeping down there full of eggs that they are killing but you guys are not crying about that

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

bawling

Nobody’s crying dude so don’t get your skivvies all up in a knot. Furthermore nobody pointed the finger at you but you decided to come out of the closet and tell everyone all on your own.

People can catch fish anywhere on the river. If your secret spot is the scour hole then so be it but make sure you keep those 9″-12″ saugers because they just die when you throw them back in the water. If someone takes a 13# fish full of eggs home to hang on the wall that’s their choice just like it’s your choice to kill 6″-11″ saugers. Nobody said anything bad about it but you.

Welcome to IDO wave

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

…Matt welcome to IDO and THANKS for showing your IGNORENCE right of the bat doah ??? doah . What kind of piece of meat do you get from a 9 or 10inch walleye or sauger or do you just throw them back for the EAGLES.?!!? tongue … … rrr .. DT smirk smirk lol

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

With the changing roller gates, melting snow run off and the flow “stepping up” to almost 24k cfps, the fish will seldom be caught in the middle of the river by the dam.

More and better fish will be caught in the current seams on the edge of the main channel connecting to a back water.

As one fantastic river angler once explained to me “at this time of year, think of the pregnant woman in a park on a very windy day. They want to find a park bench to rest on behind a wind break, a tree, a rock or shelf. These will be found in the edges of the river (not always shallow).”

Current is a waste of energy for a fish, that means they will have to eat more to obtain their goal which is to spawn. The best spots will be where a fish can rest and food it’s brought to it by the current.

Never thought I would be getting schooled on the mysterious walleye by BK butttttt hey crazy things have happened applause applause yay peace applause applause

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It has been well documented that these fish in depths of over 25′ have a better chance of dying then the ones caught in shallower water, but not everyone is lucky enough to have seen the reports or read about this over the last 15 years on Ido or other web sites.

Hopefully people will hang around here long enough to catch on…but there will always be folks fishing the hole.

Unfortunately name calling will give a person the boot before they have a chance to discuss the issue. <polite hint>

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Yeah, you really shouldn’t be calling Jesse a professional, that’s just hurtful.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

@evanpheneger I thought this was a mud puppy thread! There’s a bunch of them in the scour hole!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Yeah, you really shouldn’t be calling Jesse a professional, that’s just hurtful.

roll

Ha professional …. I haven’t even earned a Wal-Mart smock yet whistling

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.