Pool 2 smallmouth

• Pogues2300

Curious where the closest place to launch a kayak to try for a few smallnouth to my home in Bloomington. Also i suppose more importantly are there safe water conditions as far as ice and other floating debris as I’m new to river fishing from a pedal kayak. Hope i asked this in the proper forums and i hope everyone is safe and doing ok during the tough times. I’m just anxious for a diversion myself.

Cody Meyers

I’d consider either going to Hidden Falls Park just below the ford dam or pay a few bucks and launch at Watergate. Both places should be manageable. Last weekend there wasn’t lots of debris as long as you stay above the confluence of the MN River. I hadn’t seen anybody catching any smallies yet, but if it’s going to be nice a guy oughtta try.

Good luck.

Pogues2300

Thank you very much for the reply. New kayak, new rods and reels. Catching a fish would just be icing on the cake.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

X2 on Hidden Falls. Watergate would be a long paddle. Put in there an head straight up to the lock side of the dam. The work that rock rip rap down to where Minnehaha creek dumps in. Repeat. Best chance at a smallie this time of year. You will probably get a mix bag of fish. (Or skunked trying!)

-J.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

X2 on Hidden Falls. Watergate would be a long paddle. Put in there an head straight up to the lock side of the dam. The work that rock rip rap down to where Minnehaha creek dumps in. Repeat. Best chance at a smallie this time of year. You will probably get a mix bag of fish. (Or skunked trying!)

-J.

Any rip rap above the confluence has good numbers of smallies.

dbright
    Cambridge

Paddling upriver to the dam right now does not sound like much fun. Definitely some smallies to be caught up there if you are up for the paddle.

Pogues2300

Thanks everyone. It is a pedal kayak so I’m hoping that helps some.so the ice is totally gone in the areas discussed? Guess ill find out next weekend.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

River is wide open – paddle on the east shoreline and you’ll be ok. There will be decent current but it’s doable.

Pogues2300

Cool, sounds like if nothing else ill see how the new kayak and tackle work and get some exercise

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Was out today. Water is high and fast. I don’t think the rip rap is going to be holding smallies yet.

I’d actually shoot across and work the sand and trees at the dog park. Might get a mixed bag there. The current is manageable there.

Pogues2300

Well i just wanted to give an update. Went to hidden falls and the current looked really strong but we decided to launch anyways. Long story short it was quite a workout and not much fishing lol. Oh well it was beautiful out and i got to stress test my new kayak.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.