Pool 2 Report (2021)

• walleyewizard

Anyone been on P2 the last few days and got a water temp? Wondering how much it cooled with the rains…

…a rise sure would be nice, too.

80 degrees on the upper end yesterday. Water did come up a bit, but not enough. A little more current than what we have had. A few small walleye and a nice kitty for me.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Fished the upper end for a few hours this afternoon. Same story…low, slow and warm.

We did catch a few eyes on cranks and a few smallies. The catfish are aggressive on any sort of live bait.

We very much need a change that doesn’t appear to be coming anytime soon based upon the forecast.But, enough fish found to bend the rod a few times. I’ll take that.

LabDaddy1

Matt, I was out from about 6:30 to dark from hidden falls. Stayed between 5 bridge and dam. We trolled (not very experienced) and got one small eye and snagged a big carp. I could use some tips on trolling cranks. I was using glass rods with about 14 lb mono, and #7 flicker shads. Tried 5s the other day but they didn’t get down quite enough for when we were in 10-13 ft. That’s why I went and grabbed some 7s. We were definitely ticking rocks somewhat often, and I varied speed from about 2 – 3.5 mph. Varied depth from 7 to 14 fow, tops. Didn’t mark much for fish but was busy playing with(staring in awe) side-imaging… so who knows. Any tips appreciated, thanks!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Matt, I was out from about 6:30 to dark from hidden falls. Stayed between 5 bridge and dam. We trolled (not very experienced) and got one small eye and snagged a big carp. I could use some tips on trolling cranks. I was using glass rods with about 14 lb mono, and #7 flicker shads. Tried 5s the other day but they didn’t get down quite enough for when we were in 10-13 ft. That’s why I went and grabbed some 7s. We were definitely ticking rocks somewhat often, and I varied speed from about 2 – 3.5 mph. Varied depth from 7 to 14 fow, tops. Didn’t mark much for fish but was busy playing with(staring in awe) side-imaging… so who knows. Any tips appreciated, thanks!

I would go shallower that time of night.

matt

4-10ft is where I stick to for trolling.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

4-10ft is where I stick to for trolling.

My $.02…..depth doesn’t matter. Current is what matters. Look for seams….the depth is what it is.

matt

Current helps of course but I have encountered plenty of times when they are in very little current.Trolling downstream seems to work best for me when they are in those slow current areas.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

TBH I don’t think it matters speed depth current or whatever. The walleyes are not biting on P2 yet. I got out looking for them last THur with Otis and I got four drum and that was it. Screw that!

I took my neighbor out fishing Sat and we got on the crappies again. 10-15′ around pilings and docks. Fathead on a plain hook. Still haven’t topped 15″ but I keep bumping up against it. Got a 14.5″ white last time. ~J

Attachments:
    1. crap2-2.jpg

FryDog62

“Got a 14.5″ white last time. ~J”

Is there a time of year the whites peak in Pool 2? My dad and I years ago used to go down by Wabasha in the late Fall and catch them but not sure if there is much of a population of them in Pool 2.

LabDaddy1

Thanks for the info. We did try to focus more on outside bends/rip rap with more current, and more in the main channel than I normally would because I figure the deeper/cooler water will have more oxygen content. We also stopped to pitch/cast in a few key spots closer to dark, up shallower, with a drum and smallie and couple Missed bites.

The crazy amount of shiners and shad I’m sure isn’t helping much, either.

Thinking maybe should have gone a little shallower and tried trolling floaters, or even out deeper to see if they were suspended…

Thanks for the input, all. It’s nice in a way to have a challenge though- keeps me thinking and looking forward to trying more things.

LabDaddy1

This spring and summer both have been horrible compared to years past. That’s the only reason I’ve resorted to trolling(though I do really want to get that honed in and use it more in the future) just to cover more water when the fish are this spread out.

Matt, thanks a lot for the PM. You’ve always been generous with information.

Other matt(no disrespect meant)- thanks for the input!

Jason- it’s cool you’re getting into the crappies this time of year. I have in the past got them dialed in during early-mid fall in very isolated spots on the upper end. They seem to hit anything as long as a school is there. I have a buddy that lives near 494 landing who took me out a couple years ago in the fall to some different backwater areas and we hammered them. Very good average size on 2, a lot of “cookie cutter” 10-12”, and plenty of bigger ones mixed in. Hope you get that 15 incher! It’s cool having a nice mix of white and black. I want to hit those same areas this fall but with native emeralds I’ve netted, and pit them up against a big fathead. I’ve mostly done jig and plastic, but am not above throwing live bait at them! And who doesn’t like bobber fishing? Getting back to the “kid” roots makes me realize why the old timers seem to stick to it! Nothing like watching that bobber go down… simplicity and joy!

Thanks again guys.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Is there a time of year the whites peak in Pool 2? My dad and I years ago used to go down by Wabasha in the late Fall and catch them but not sure if there is much of a population of them in Pool 2.

Not sure – probably not much different behavior than blacks but I’m new to fishing crappies on P2. Just started this year really.

There seems to be a fair population but not like those lower pools with the huge floodplains. I got into a few last winter in a P2 floodplain lake as well. Like labDaddy said the average size is pretty good.

There is an old timer that goes by River Crappie Rat on youtube that put up a few videos several years ago. He has gotten several 16″s and I believe has also got a 17″. I saw him out this spring trolling for them.

j

FryDog62

Thanks Jason, there’s a decent population of whites in Prior Lake too (and some big ones) but I don’t know if they bunch up in the Fall like they do on the river. That might be fun to try Pool 2 if I could figure out the right timing..

LabDaddy1

That’s funny, I just happened to stumble upon river crappie rat on YouTube last night. He’s got some nice mounts/replicas

Mike Otis

This might be the most beautiful week of weather we’ve had all summer. I’m sure you guys feel the same way.

Hopefully it keeps up.

Jim

Fished out of Lilydale last night with my wife’s friend’s 2 youngest kids. Had good action on smaller walleyes, 12”-17” with a sheepshead, small catfish and some baby smallmouth. The boys were happy.

River at St. Paul is already up about 3” (10:00 AM) and rising.

Any thoughts on if there will be too much debris floating in upper Pool 2 this evening or tomorrow to motor on plane safely?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You’ll be ok…if it really rises fast watch out. Fishing usually sucks with a real fast rise anyways.

Can’t wait for the river to come up!!!!

LabDaddy1

Jim- thanks for the report. What kind of depths were you fishing and what techniques put those eyes in the boat? Im hoping to make it out this coming weekend.

LabDaddy1

Well, river level and flow are up a decent amount. Put in a couple hours trolling tonight out of hidden falls but only one small walleye on a crank. Looking forward to a bunch more rain

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Was the water dirty?

LabDaddy1

Fairly. But not much worse than it has been. This summer it’s been kind of green(and a lot of vegetation growing in spots there normally isn’t). I’d say if average water clarity has been 2.5’-3’, Wednesday it was maybe 1.5’-2’.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Looks like she is coming up at least 2′ in the next week according to the St Paul graph. I’d love to see it between 6-7′ this fall.

Can’t wait…..we need it.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Looks like she is coming up at least 2′ in the next week

Yep, looking good!

-J.

Attachments:
    1. pool2nextweek.png

LabDaddy1

Agree with that^ we definitely need it!

So do you guys think the next week should be slower fishing, then, with it on the rise? Thinking about getting out again tonight or tomorrow depending on the rain.

Jim

LabDaddy1, trolled Flicker Shads and Shad Raps, #5 inside and #7 outside, firetiger. I like the rattle in the Flicker Shads and they cost less. Jointed might have been better. Tight to the bank, 7-9’. Flow was low so we did get a couple in shallower parts of the channel, 13’.

About 2.4 mph, all trolling upstream, worked. Slower they weren’t getting hooked.

Did the same thing Tuesday afternoon/evening and they were snapping. Definitely a numbers, not size, game. Biggest was 18.5”. Plus some sheepshead, little smallies, and a pike and tiny catfish.

Fun bite, but I’m ready to graduate to learning how to catch bigger P2 walleyes.

You made me day. Someone asked me
    for advice!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

LabDaddy1, trolled Flicker Shads and Shad Raps, #5 inside and #7 outside, firetiger. I like the rattle in the Flicker Shads and they cost less. Jointed might have been better. Tight to the bank, 7-9’. Flow was low so we did get a couple in shallower parts of the channel, 13’.

About 2.4 mph, all trolling upstream, worked. Slower they weren’t getting hooked.

Did the same thing Tuesday afternoon/evening and they were snapping. Definitely a numbers, not size, game. Biggest was 18.5”. Plus some sheepshead, little smallies, and a pike and tiny catfish.

Fun bite, but I’m ready to graduate to learning how to catch bigger P2 walleyes.

for advice!

Head south young man! It’s triple A ball on the upper end….time for the call up and the big water and wing dams!

LabDaddy1

for advice!

Thank you sir!

Definitely head to the lower end if you want bigger fish right now, like Matt mentioned above. Hope you find them!

LabDaddy1

Hey Jim—or anyone else who may know— how is the launch at lilydale?

And another one— has anyone tried leeches on p2? I want to start bringing live bait along and first thought was go with crawlers, but know a person or two who have had success with leeches down there.

Thanks

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Leeches were good earlier…I’d go with half a crawler or minnows now. Leeches stopped working (along with about everything else!) in June.

Got out on the lower end for about 4 hours yesterday. Still a grind of a bite out there. Water temp at 74…water still very clear and flow has not come up much.

Two walleyes only but did find a couple areas holding some smallies. Nothing big but fun to pitch to. Catfish were also on the tear.

All fish pitching live bait….couple trolling runs didn’t produce. Worth a trip but I’d have low expectations out there. Looks like it’s not coming up as predicted, either.

I’m sure someone is catching them but it really hasn’t been me for about the last 2 months.

Jim

I’ve been using Lilydale, no problems, for a 16’ 10” tiller on a roller trailer.

Viewing 30 posts - 331 through 360 (of 485 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.