Pool 2 Report (2021)

• luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Back at it this afternoon. Water temp was 58 degrees. I saw fewer Shad breaking the surface than a week ago, however I did see a lot of smaller minnows along the rocks and things were chasing them around. Managed to find a few walleyes in the 22 inch range, and half a dozen Smallies including this one which was a solid 17 inches, the best I’ve ever caught on Pool 2. Who would have guessed that we would have a 75 degree day with sun and light winds in late October? A fun afternoon.

SR

Good job, Steve! What were you seeing for water temps?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Water was 58 degrees yesterday. It should drop even more by this weekend.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Water was 58 degrees yesterday. It should drop even more by this weekend.

just realized i can’t read, haha. Got out friday and yesterday. Great numbers, biggest we saw was 25.75″. lowest temps we saw yesterday were 56.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

This afternoon the water temp was down to 52 degrees, and the North wind made boat control interesting at times. Found a few Smallies, a couple of big Sheephead, the biggest White Bass I’ve caught in several years (17 1/2 inches).

And exactly one Walleye. 29 1/2 inches. My hands are still shaking.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4869.jpg

2. IMG_4868.jpg

matt

Nice Fish!! Was down there on Monday and caught walleye,sauger,cats,sheepshead,whitebass.Biggest walleye was 20″,couple sauger were 17″-18″ biggest cat had to be 8lbs maybe.Mostly jig and minnow but did get a few fish trolling

FryDog62

This afternoon the water temp was down to 52 degrees, and the North wind made boat control interesting at times. Found a few Smallies, a couple of big Sheephead, the biggest White Bass I’ve caught in several years (17 1/2 inches).

And exactly one Walleye. 29 1/2 inches. My hands are still shaking.

Kudos on the fish Steve – especially the Whitie!!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Holy cow, Steve! Great fish!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice fish! bow Is that a P2 PB?

-J.

LabDaddy1

Wow, awesome Steve. Even a low-mid 20’s inch eye on P2 is pretty exciting. Those fish are just built differently…

And very nice whitie- my pb is also right around that size on p2. Wish they were more common nowadays…

— — —

Walleyes are turning on and water is clearing up. Jerkbaits, cranks, jig/plastic all working. And I’m sure minnows are, too…

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Nice fish! bow Is that a P2 PB?

-J.

Hi Jon. This is my third Walleye over 29 inches from Pool 2. I think this one was the biggest by about 1/16th of an inch mrgreen

SR

Mike Otis

I was able to get out this past weekend and once last week. I caught a few walleyes in the 20s, but followed Steve’s lead and caught some big white bass. A 14.5 and a 16.5.

Temps were right around 51 yesterday.

LabDaddy1

Saturday and Sunday evening I caught 5 and 8 walleyes, respectively, on a current seam in 5 fow north of the confluence from shore. There are a lot of 18-22” fish in the system right now or so it seems. Then again I don’t get many surpassing that 24”-27” mark on the upper end, ever.

1/8 oz jig and plastic, jerkbaits, or cranks retrieved at a slow-to-moderate pace. Make sure to pause it or go finesse once in a while, depending on technique and the fish’s reaction.

Good luck.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Saturday and Sunday evening I caught 5 and 8 walleyes, respectively, on a current seam in 5 fow north of the confluence from shore. There are a lot of 18-22” fish in the system right now or so it seems. Then again I don’t get many surpassing that 24”-27” mark on the upper end, ever.

1/8 oz jig and plastic, jerkbaits, or cranks retrieved at a slow-to-moderate pace. Make sure to pause it or go finesse once in a while, depending on technique and the fish’s reaction.

Good luck.

Those are good evenings shore fishing. You’re right on size…you may get some big ones by the confluence in the very early spring. I’ve only ever caught a handful over 25” for the confluence and north and I’ve spent alot of time on that stretch.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Once again this year I can only seem to catch bass. doah

This one was just barely 20″ and hit a 8″ creek chub if my memory serves.

Credits go to Matt on the net and Boone for the creek chubs. toast

Attachments:
    1. RD-scaled.jpg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Awesome fish Jason!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Once again this year I can only seem to catch bass. doah

This one was just barely 20″ and hit a 8″ creek chub if my memory serves.

Credits go to Matt on the net and Boone for the creek chubs. toast

I’m an above average net man but below average fisherman compared to Jason. Conversely, Jason is an above average fisherman and below average net man.

Attachments:
    1. 3396F843-669B-45FE-9762-E611A81F7131-scaled.jpeg

Mike Otis

I was up nort deer hunting this weekend, but did anyone get out and have luck on P2? I’m planning to head out there tomorrow after work.

Likely just going to focus on rocks with some current on them. Is anyone still using live bait?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I was up nort deer hunting this weekend, but did anyone get out and have luck on P2? I’m planning to head out there tomorrow after work.

Likely just going to focus on rocks with some current on them. Is anyone still using live bait?

JasonP and I were out Saturday daytime…only a couple walleyes pitching cranks. Live bait should still be good but we only caught other species on it.

We stayed south of lions…maybe a better bite north of there.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Good luck.

I get the feeling we fish the same shore spot. I was out there Wednesday and Thursday mornings and caught a bunch of smallies and a couple small walleye. Lost one 16-17 inch walleye at my feet though. Not much size when was out, but good to catch fish there again.

Might go there or up to Monti this Wednesday.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Had a lot of action tonight. Water temp was 47 degrees and there’s a bit more flow than there was last week. Found a few smaller Walleyes, some White Bass, Sheephead, a Sauger, and about a dozen Smallmouth. Nothing big but a real hit parade.

SR

matt

Did pretty good on walleyes and picked up some nice saugers on Saturday.Only other species caught was a lone whitebass all on jig/minnow.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Is it worth floating a jig and crappie minnow or gulp minnow in current seams in the main river sections from the Ford dam down river for crappie? Or are they usually in back channels? Never even tried it.

Mike Otis

Got out last night as planned, but I went fishless. Big ol’ goose egg!

I was moving quickly through wing dams, maybe too quick, so I think I’m going to spend a little more time at each spot next week. Slow things down. Become one with the walleye.

Good luck to anyone heading out this week/weekend. I’m heading back into the woods, but down in Winona this time.

LabDaddy1

Is it worth floating a jig and crappie minnow or gulp minnow in current seams in the main river sections from the Ford dam down river for crappie? Or are they usually in back channels? Never even tried it.

It’s worth a try. I’ve caught them that way there before.

I doubt we’re fishing the same spot- I’ve only seen another person there a half dozen times or so in 10-15 years of fishing it…

Have gotten 19 walleyes in the last 4 trips there, averaging 18”-20”. Should have had more. Can’t complain! Got to love fall on the river

matt

With the water being pretty clear I brought the underwater camera with the other day and dropped it down by the dam for awhile before I went downriver.Didnt spend alot of time but saw plenty of small walleyes,bluegills,some crappies and a few suckers.Did pretty good fishing after that,most all of the walleyes and saugers I have been catching are coming from the main channel or very close to it.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

were you fishing above the confluence? I was out last week and thought the river had a lot of color for November…clarity less than a foot.

matt

Water was really clean above the confluence on wed.Been fishing downriver from the confluence.Was out Saturday and thought it was pretty dirty for Nov.Was alot cleaner on Wed. downriver in the same areas.Guessing its probly fairly dirty again now with the rain.

LabDaddy1

I had been seeing 3+ ft visibility above the confluence. Haven’t been out for about a week

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It was about 2 ft middle of last week when I was out on Pike Island.

Mike Otis

Got out on Tuesday and didn’t get skunked! yay Handful of walleyes, and most came on cranks.

Viewing 30 posts - 421 through 450 (of 485 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.