Pool 2

• Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I was out Sunday and saw quite a bit of traffic on the river. I recognized many boats fishing their traditional spots. Many boats stopping to fish the wing dam with the green can on the lower end of Pigs Eye if it was vacant. Thought I even saw Pat Mc. running the big tiller Warrior.

I was running solo and found a hand full of 15-20 inch fish and one that just touched 28″ on the board with a pinched tail.

I am always amazed at how spunky these fish are once in the boat.

So, how’d everyone do?

Attachments:
    1. FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice one there, Francis!

-J.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Great fish!! woot woot

Was out in the heat Saturday, decided to hit p2 instead of Croix, and stuck to the upper part between Watergate and high bridge without any luck. Didn’t put in much effort, sat under the bimini most the time.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The Warrior 2090 was Brandon from SBC doing a test drive fishing day. They had 6 or so fish with a lot of them being over 20″.

Nice fish Francis!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Nice fish, Francis! I took the weekend off but did well this past Thursday with 5 eyes and a surprise Northern in a 3 hours or so.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

So this was my third trip out this summer to P2. I am surprised to say that I have caught zero sheephead. They don’t bother me at all but it just seems odd.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

So this was my third trip out this summer to P2. I am surprised to say that I have caught zero sheephead. They don’t bother me at all but it just seems odd.

Caught one in the upper 20’s about a month ago but that’s it. It was my biggest fish from p2 and the most most pure fun I’ve had bringing a fish in all year.

Eyes, sauger, northern, crappie, channel cat, and sheepies so far from p2 this year — not a single white bass or smallmouth which I’m starting to scratch my head at.

Attachments:
    1. FullSizeRender-2-1.jpg

CBMN
    North Metro

I noticed that Warrior also and thought it was maybe you Cal. Must have stayed a bit south of you Francis

I would say fishing was ok for my boat also, mostly walleyes and Sauger, a few nice smallmouth, on decent flat and very few sheep.

buschman
    Pool 2

My kids and I are doing our part on putting a hole in those sheepies mouths ) Someone has to do it.

One

pls don’t kill the fish (sheephead). just release them. i hate it when i see people kill them.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You guys mainly pulling cranks? I’m taking a couple of people out Friday that aren’t very experienced and I think pulling cranks would be the easiest for all of us.

I haven’t been on P2 for a couple of months but usually I’m pulling cranks this time of year. I don’t think pitching wing dams would be something this group would excel at.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Cranks have been consistent for me. Firetiger!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Sheephead have been found to eat zeebs. So yea, tell them thanks for the fight and let them go.

SR

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We caught fish pulling cranks, casting cranks and pitching crawlers on the dams. Little bit of everything found fish.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Thanks guy – seems to be a pretty typical summer pattern then. We’ll probably pull cranks and I’ll grab some crawlers.

buschman
    Pool 2

pls don’t kill the fish (sheephead). just release them. i hate it when i see people kill them.

What are you talking about??? I didn’t see anyone mention killing them. Kind of weird to bring it up I guess.

One

What are you talking about??? I didn’t see anyone mention killing them. Kind of weird to bring it up I guess.
    [/quote]
    I saw a lot people kill them. Lake pepin floated a lot dead sheepshead.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Is it bad when you can identify it is a sheephead, when your not even the guy reeling it in! Phil was quite convinced it was a flathead.. he was surprised I was right all along.
    31″ 14# if I recall.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20170618085136961.jpg

fishdale

I was out Sunday also. First trip in 2 months to P2. Managed to get a half dozen eyes with the biggest being 26 1/4. Caught some casting cranks and the bigger ones on crawlers.

No sheeps, whites or Smallies. Which was kinda weird.

Hope to start getting down there more not that work has slowed and graduations are done with.

Blood thats a big sheep.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’m heading out now hoping for no storms. Cranks and crawlers will be the baits so I’ll report back.

matt

Was at Pepin a few weeks ago and the few sheepshead I did catch went belly up after I threw them back for whatever reason.I really dont think they were being intentionally killed.When I neared where other boats were or had been fishing I saw the same thing.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Decent day….half dozen walleye all in the 17-19″ range. Caught all trolling cranks.

Pike were on fire. Caught 5 all in the upper 20’s. Saw other boats getting on them, too. Caught them on cranks, plastics, and crawlers.

Also caught smallies, sheepies, crappies, catfish, and a huge shiner.

Fun day out there.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Really need to start trolling, hate it so bad though chased

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Son and I will be out tomorrow, hopefully first part of the day. As much as I want to fish other tactics
    we’ll be pulling cranks as soon as the kid gets impatient. Can’t fight what works!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Decent day….half dozen walleye all in the 17-19″ range. Caught all trolling cranks.

Pike were on fire. Caught 5 all in the upper 20’s. Saw other boats getting on them, too. Caught them on cranks, plastics, and crawlers.

Also caught smallies, sheepies, crappies, catfish, and a huge shiner.

Fun day out there.

That’s a classic pool2 grab bag Matt! I’m happy to hear the Pike news. I have a few more minnow profile longer cranks this year, last year pulled mostly Shad rap varieties.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I don’t mind trolling….cover a bunch of water and then spot lock and cast cranks when you pick up a couple.

Pike were just sitting in slack water areas. Caught them in 3 different spots.

Good luck out there.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

We fished from 745-915pm last night, just a quick trip close to home. Managed 3 eyes pulling cranks — 16, 18, and a “dink” which is now my kids favorite new word.

Water was 79 still at 9pm or later. Some kind of a minor insect hatch happening around pike island but they’re still biting.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

made it out on Sunday. not much changed from last weekend. few walleyes here, few walleyes there. long line trolling cranks, casting cranks and pitching jig/crawler.

i like about a 2″ piece of crawler threaded on the jig. to long of peice and they just tear the tail off. wire bait keepers are a must for holding the crawler on while casting. strikes can be pretty soft with a crawler. often hard to tell the difference between fish of maybe just bumping a log. practice helps get the feel of this.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I know its a stupid question here but I think I get to take my 8 year old nephew out fishing tomorrow. I am thinking about pool 2 and would be happy to just get into numbers and hopefully a couple of nicer “big” fish.

what launch would be best this time of year, and if anyone is willing to get me headed the right direction would be helpful.

Looking for white bass, suckers, carp, drum, ect. Hopefully crawlers is all i will need for bait, but I can get what ever is needed.

thanks in advance

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.