Pontoon cruise late September

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I would like to take the FW, mom, and dad out on the st croix this fall for a cruise and some trolling. Looking at the Hudson ramp for launching, any decent trolling around there by late September? What kind of depths that time of year? Also what are the best places to stop for lunch? Right in Hudson there or are there better options elsewhere? Thanks for all your insight!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Stillwater has a public dock right behind the paddle boats. Get there early as they fill up fast.

The further you go up stream from Hudson the less tuna boat wakes you’ll be fighting. There was a time when Labor Day pretty much were the end to the big boys coming out to play. Now a day it’s just before the gas docks close for the winter.

Trolling? You’ll have to ask someone else.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I would like to take the FW, mom, and dad out on the st croix this fall for a cruise and some trolling. Looking at the Hudson ramp for launching, any decent trolling around there by late September? What kind of depths that time of year? Also what are the best places to stop for lunch? Right in Hudson there or are there better options elsewhere? Thanks for all your insight!

For depths i would recommend 20-26 feet and use leadcore. Head south of hudson down to Afton on the wisconsin side and come back up the other side. If you hit some fish come back through the same areas. Fish will be scattered chasing schools of bait fish. Plenty of restaurants in Hudson, but not much to pull up to and eat. There is a dock in Prescott to park and walk to restaurants but that is quite a drive by pontoon.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks! Is it just the little dock north of the Hudson ramp on the dike? Any chance if we do early lunch?

buschman
    Pool 2

Thanks! Is it just the little dock north of the Hudson ramp on the dike? Any chance if we do early lunch?

My wife really likes Pier 500. It has never disappointed us for lunch anyways and you can see it from the river. That would be my go to… If you like fishing with blades or jigging raps bring them with!!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

At what level does the Hudson access close or the river go no wake?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

83′ stillwater

At this time it shows 82.2′ on sep 19

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Looking back at some threads, it appears the Hudson access may close around 681? Is it posted anywhere or if the gauge hits 681, it’s closed?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Looking back at some threads, it appears the Hudson access may close around 681? Is it posted anywhere or if the gauge hits 681, it’s closed?

Hudson Launch will close at 681.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.