Pocket camera

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I’m looking for a fishing camera that will fit in a jacket pocket. I don’t use a camera often, but do think it would be beneficial for finding better structure. Not looking to spend over 300.00 or so. So far I have it down to either a marcum recon 5 or a aqua-vu micro plus. Does anyone have any experience with either one?

lshd69

I’ve got the micro plus and like it. Don’t use it often, but operation is simple, no issues seeing the screen and it’s definitely pocket size and the reason I bought it. No experiene with the Marcum or a 5” camera in general.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I love my Recon 5. I really like the directional I’m not sure if an aqua view has that

404 ERROR
    MN

I really like my Recon 5+. The compass can be hit or miss with mine, but it functions OK. It’s been back to Marcum twice for the blue screen issue, but Aqua-Vu isn’t immune to the same exact problem.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

I’ve owned both. Currently have a Recon 5+. Great screen display and clarity. I like that the camera chord is thicker also for making it easier to twist the camera in different directions. Downside is the screen displays (Direction, temp, depth) already are toast after only one year old. Fixable on warranty of course.

I use the camera a ton and I like the line winder reel on the back of the new generation of Aqua vu’s. If Marcum doesn’t adopt this feature. I maybe switching companies in the future.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I have used both as well. What Matt said is spot on. I loved the Recon 5 with dvr.

The way I see it.

Aqua Vu 5+
    Easier to use buttons and interface
    Bullet proof for the most part

Recon 5
    Better screen
    Directional reading (which usually craps out over time)
    Thicker cord
    Weighted camera. Don’t need to clip weight on like Aqua Vu

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Guess I need to use mine more?

I have the LX-9 out the window of the camper. I’ll have to drop the Recon 5+ out the starboard side. (hopefully there’s more fish over there) )

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Maybe yours is all good. My use of Recon 5s is first hand, but I don’t own one. The two I have used have both been back and forth to marcum a few times for the temp/directional issues.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I just got an Av micro 2, love it for what it is. I am only using to camera to look down and check A) if there’s a lot of fish just sitting there and B) what the bottom looks like. This thing does it just fine. Had no problems this past weekend with the weather affecting it.

For $150 I don’t think I’ll ever own a different camera. turning the camera itself is obviously a little finicky.

kayl

I have used both as well. What Matt said is spot on. I loved the Recon 5 with dvr.

The way I see it.

Aqua Vu 5+
    Easier to use buttons and interface
    Bullet proof for the most part

Recon 5
    Better screen
    Thicker cord
    Weighted camera. Don’t need to clip weight on like Aqua Vu

The revolution pro addresses most of these; it has a great screen, directional reading, and you don’t need a clip weight on the camera. The best feature has to be the reel though, it’s awesome!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.