Plastics for Lakers ??

• eyesonly

I have a bunch of Soft plastics left over from my Last summers BWCA trip and Id like to try them for my lake trout trip next week up there. Anyone have any experience using 4 inch plastics on trout and how to you rig them with out riping them off the hook.

tswoboda

If it’s plastic, white, and swims horizontal… a laker will eat it. I’ve caught them on tubes, flukes, grubs, and gulp minnows. I’ve also caught fish on spoons, jigging raps, and lipless cranks but plastics are definitely my go to. 1/4 – 1/2 oz and heavier fishes faster but light has better action on the drop.

Tip… add a stinger. Close to half the fish I land are hooked on the stinger.

AaronMoore

Do you use a treble for a stinger? and at what length?

tswoboda

I make stingers with Gamakatsu treble hooks, fas snaps, and 20 lb fluorocarbon. I try to make them around 3″ long but they vary. The stingers can also be used as a dropper rig on your spoons.

You can buy the same thing from Northland but in my experience they are not tough enough for lakers. I lost a bunch of fish on them and would pull up my bait with the stinger hook either missing or a hook bent out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.