Places to get dog in water around NW suburbs area

• Reef W

With my new puppy I want to get him in the water earlier and more frequently than I did with my last dog. I live in Brooklyn Park and wondering if anybody knows of some nearby areas that would be good for this. The dog park has a pond but it’s always way too busy for him to focus on anything. Anybody know of some out of the way places with water that are dog safe?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Crow-Hassan dog park butts up to the Crow River. Water’s probably too high now, but it’ll come down.

Dan Baker

Just curious, i have a new puppy as well, and don’t know what i don’t know yet if you know what I mean. What is the purpose of getting them in the water? Is this something just for a bird dog, or dogs in general. Hope this doesn’t hijack the thread. BTW, the landings at most boat ramps in MG are open and completely deserted.

Reef W

Crow-Hassan dog park butts up to the Crow River. Water’s probably too high now, but it’ll come down.

I had written that off because, as far as I remember, it gets deep so fast and he couldn’t walk out. Now that you mention the water being high though I bet some of the timber is flooded and that would work out well for now!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

What is the purpose of getting them in the water? Is this something just for a bird dog, or dogs in general.

A bird dog should be comfortable in the water, but I think any dog would benefit from swimming. It’s good exercise and easy on their joints.

On the flip side, it can be a pain in the butt when you’re trying to leave and your dog decides to go in for a dip leaving you with a 2-hour trip with a wet, stinky dog! )

BTW, the landings at most boat ramps in MG are open and completely deserted.

True. The landings at Weaver and Fish were both open and deserted yesterday. Fish is a 3 Rivers Park, though, so you might catch flak from the police.

Reef W

Just curious, i have a new puppy as well, and don’t know what i don’t know yet if you know what I mean. What is the purpose of getting them in the water? Is this something just for a bird dog, or dogs in general. Hope this doesn’t hijack the thread. BTW, the landings at most boat ramps in MG are open and completely deserted.

Nothing special, just to get him used to the water and swimming while he’s young. Not all dogs are going to leap in after a dummy or a bird if they aren’t acclimated to it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Ripley was extremely enthused to take his first swim of 2018 yesterday. Cold water? No problem. )

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I take my dog swimming at Mississippi Point Park in Champlin. Not as dog friendly since the habitat rehab but still usable.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I take my dog swimming at Mississippi Point Park in Champlin. Not as dog friendly since the habitat rehab but still usable.

Is that the one by Q Fanatic? toast

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I was thinking the same thing. lol

bjmiller

There’s a trail within the Fish Lake park (SW Maple Grove) that you can access the lake/water and get away from the crowds/park agents. The dog will need to be leashed until you get to the lake access. Take the paved bike/walking trail from the parking lot and head south then west which wraps around the south and southwestern corner of Fish Lake. The paved trail will come to an intersection where a dirt road (utility vehicle access road) runs north and eventually gets you down to the lake. The access point is right across the lake from the swimming area and is usually too far for anyone working the park to bother you. We, too, take our dog there for a quick swim and is fairly shallow.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Cenaiko lake just below the Coon Rapids Dam maybe something to look into. I think it maybe part of the Coon Rapids regional park.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Cenaiko lake just below the Coon Rapids Dam maybe something to look into. I think it maybe part of the Coon Rapids regional park.

I know swimming is not allowed in the lake so I’d assume pets aren’t allowed either.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Looks like there is a fee to get into the park also. Did not realize that lake is stocked with trout.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Dogs are allowed in cenainko.
    Crooked lake in coonrap8ds/ Andover has a nice beach for the dog and not far from you

snelson223
    Austin MN

I would wait for the water to warm up. You may have to go out in the water and you don’t want your pup to have a bad experience.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Had the water to ourselves last night.

Attachments:
    1. 20180510_171904_007_01.jpg

2. 20180510_171904_016_01.jpg

3. 20180510_172637.jpg

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Fish Lake Access – Word Of Caution

There is a man-make loon nesting float (DNR) fairly close to the landing on the south side of Fish Lake…. heard loons the other night so probably not the best place to take the pup swimming.

Pete

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Long Lake in New Brighton right off 694? Near the boat ramp is a swimming beach, but I am not sure if they have a no pets sign up…

Reef W

Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Just at the dog park and then at our training nights at Kelley Farms I’ve had him swimming several times already! He doesn’t seem to mind it at all. I was just worried because my previous dog took quite a bit of coaxing to get him to go in initially.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Owning a hunting dog is a must to have him/her acclimated to water.
    Retrieving out of water is a regular experience and if they aren’t introduced the proper way you will find that you’re leaving birds behind. JMHO.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

With this near-term forecast, I think some swims are in order for the next few days!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.