Pike trip

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thinking of going to Canada for a Pike trip this summer. Would be towing a fiberglass boat so I want to stay off gravel roads. Main interest would be size vs numbers. I have always had good luck fishing where a good size river dumps into a lake. I cast and troll primarily. Would like to stay 2-4 hours drive time from the border at the most. Must be good cabins, not 5 star good but not leaking roof bad either. smile

Suggestions?

bigpike

Noticed you have had no response. Any luck? My “resort” on Nipigon is off your list. But I would look at Rainy or Lotw. Call up the resort owners and tell them what you want. I would target the spring / summer transition time when the larger females are recovering and hungry and can be found shallow or near shallow water. Hope you find it!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Would be towing a fiberglass boat so I want to stay off gravel roads

I’m curious as well to see if someone has good ideas. I do the north arm of Rainy 1-2 weeks a year. Most trips in the last five years have been more numbers than size which is a reversal from 10 years back. Big ones are still here and we did find a few last September.

I’ve never done the Canadian side for LOTW. Seems like a lot of potential???

Chad Leonhardt
    Rochester,MN

If your boat is 25 hp or less, no need to go all the way into Canada. We have had some of the most excellent big Pike fishing on Basswood in the BWCA. Best part is we’re the only ones up there actively seeking out big pike with heavy tackle and lures and catching them. Pic is from last June 44in 18 lbs on a glide bait. We’ve seen much bigger follow right by the boat.

Attachments:
    1. 44in18lbs.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks Chad but the BWCA doesn’t fit for me.

I’ll be doing LOTW this fall for the first time, the fishing should be good. Other then that I’m still open to idea’s.

Where do you stay on North Arm? I’ve fished Rainy often and have heard about the Bass fishing in North Arm but haven’t ventured over there yet. Maybe this year?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

@dutchboy

Sorry for the delay, forgot about the Canada forum.

We’re camping on a private island. We used to stay at McCloud’s cabins but they retired a few years back. They’re place is for sale and way less than it’s worth. We’ve talked to them about buying it but finances aren’t quite there.

North arm has only a few places to stay and most are in Northwest bay.

http://www.campnarrows.com/
    http://labellescamp.com/

Way, way on the north end:
    Cascade something. Maybe devils cascade, can’t find a link

Centrally located:
    http://www.campontariofishing.com/

Fairly north on the arm but really not sure I would stay here. Great location but looks like a dump when we drive by:
    Little canoe camp, can’t find a link.

I’m not a bass guy but it’s still supposed to be very good. Walleye are the story the last few years, they’re back in a big way.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Totem Lodge Sioux Narrows

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks guys.

Pat, is McClouds on North Arm?

ariat
    Ottertail Lake,mn

look at Hobbs resort or Moak lodge on Cross bay of Cedar Lake Manitoba. Drive to resort about 3.5 hours north of the Border. Outstanding big pike fishing and the walleye fishing is excellant as well. Cedar lake flows into the North end of lake Winnipeg just a few miles away. Only about 5 miles of gravel into camp the rest is pavement.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Thanks guys.
    Pat, is McClouds on North Arm?

Yes, their place is about half way up, north of Rebecca island and near Ami point.

If you want more info, send me a PM with your number.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Ugghhh, now I can’t think about anything besides awesome days in Canada. I’m supposed to be working devil

The view from McLeod’s. How I miss it! Now where did I put that lottery ticket…

Attachments:
    1. P1060675.jpg

2. P1060603-1.jpg

3. P1060603.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It is just plain amazing how “blue” that water on Rainy can look sometimes.

BTW, I got that lottery ticket you were looking for, save your money.

Chad Thompson
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

A little late to the game, but you can run Nipigon without touching logging roads. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. Good luck this summer, take tons of pics and share!

toast

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.