Pickled Pike question

• Trouten

I am making pickled pike for the first time. I’m using the recipe that was published in field and stream about 2 years ago. Question is, how important is the sugar? It’s asking for 3/4 cup of sugar, which seems like a lot to me. I am not a fan of “sweet” pickles, So I would rather leave that out. Is the sugar just for flavor, or is it part of the chemistry that preserves the fish?

fishdale

I use a similar recipe and forgot the sugar one time until I did the 1 day taste test. Wow were they vinegery. Added my sugar and that fixed that. I do not think the do any for the preserving. When I try a new recipe I always try it how it was written then make adjustments on any future.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

there is a reciepe posted here that you put the fish in the jars and and ingredients int ot the jar. its the only reciepe I have tried, and I have tried a lot of them ,where the fish don’t get soft. I did cut back on the sugar. I think it called for like a cup and a half or 3/4 and only put 1 cup in and it was fine. I too don’t care for super sweet. I wouldn’t recommend not using suga though!

Trouten

Thanks Guys. I tried it both ways, the sugar definitely helps make them a little less strong. I think the other modification I will make next time is to rinse the salt brine from the fish after the first 24 hours of soaking(They say to drain it, but not rinse the filets). But all in all, they turned out good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.