Pickled Northern

• asch
    Eastern Iowa

I just finished pickling some Northern. They are better than pickled herring.

Freeze fish for 3 weeks to kill any parasites.
    Chunk fish
    Mix 4 cups water and 1 cup canning salt
    Cover in refrigerator for 48 hours
    Drain and wash
    Cover with vinegar in refrigerator for 24 hours
    Drain and pack in jars with onions

Boil and let cool:
    2 cups vinegar
    2 cups sugar
    2t mustard seed
    1t whole allspice
    1t whole cloves
    1t red pepper flakes
    4 bay leaves
    When cool add 1/2 cup white wine
    Pour over fish and onions in jars and store in refrigerator for 3 weeks before eating

A 4lb northern and 2 medium onions will pack 4 pint jars with enough brine to cover them. If you do more you need to make more brine. There is no canning process so the pickled fish must always be kept in the refrigerator. The y bones will be dissolved in the brine.

robby
    Quad Cities

My mouth is watering.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Sounds easy enough, I’m going to have to give it a try

LenH
    Wisconsin

i failed totally 3 years ago when i did a pickled pike.

i added lemons….never again.

obviously did something else wrong because is was so soft it was not palatable

gonna give another whirl in May.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Your recipe sounds like the one I lost that my Grandma gave me. Thank you for sharing. Once I get some pike I will be trying it.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Almost the same recipe I posted many moons ago here… I think the only ingredient difference is mine adds the same amount of ground Allspice… the red pepper flake makes the deal!!! Thanks for reposting!!!

Mark

fishdale

The recipe I do is the same with the exception of I just use pickling spice instead of the individual spices you list.

Always goes over well.

Len – My dad had one batch come out soft like you described not sure he ever figured out why. I have never had that issue. Once I forgot the sugar but luckily I tried it after a days and was able to add the sugar then and seemed to fix the issue.

ritz cracker + pickled pike and onion + a little horseradish = Happy camper.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.