Pickled asparagus

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Anybody pickle asparagus?

I’m in hot pursuit of doing that next year so if anyone wants to share recipes or tips share em here please!

Also interested in green beans.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Anybody pickle asparagus?

I’m in hot pursuit of doing that next year so if anyone wants to share recipes or tips share em here please!

Also interested in green beans.

i do both. brine i’m not 100% sure of as i need to doublecheck the reciepe when i get home. but i also add garlic onion and dill.

i dont can per say…….i pickle them and just keep them in the frig!!!!!! My brine is 2 qts water, 2 cups vinegar and 1/2 cup pickling salt. If you want some zing add some hot peppers.

Brad Dimond

From the U Of M Extension Service, I double up on the dill. Use green beans and yellow beans together for a good look.

Pickled Beans

Ingredients:
    2 pounds green or yellow beans, 5-6 inches long (approximately, 6 cups trimmed).
    Brine
    ­ 2 1/2 cups water
    ­ 2 1/2 cups white vinegar (5%)
    ­ 1/4 cup canning salt
    Per pint jar:
    ­ 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
    ­ 1 head of dill or 1 teaspoon dill seed
    ­ 1 garlic clove

Canning directions:
    1. Prepare jars
    ­ Inspect canning jars for chips and cracks.
    ­ Wash jars in hot soapy water, rinse well.
    ­ Fill the canner half full with clean warm water.
    ­ Center the canner over the burner and preheat the water to 140°F for hot-packed foods. Use a food thermometer to monitor temperature.
    ­ Put jars into canner so they fill with water.
    ­ Prepare beans and brine while preheating jars.
    2. Wash and sort beans
    ­ Sort beans of like size. Discard beans with insect damage, rust or over grown.
    ­ Put beans in a colander
    ­ Rise beans well under running wate
    ­ Drain
    3. Prep beans
    ­ Using a sharp knife and cutting board, trim both ends so beans are 4 inches long.
    ­ Discard ends.
    4. Wash and prepare dill and garlic
    ­ Wash heads of dill under running water.
    ­ Wash cloves of garlic. Break off cloves. Press each clove gently with your palm of hand to loosen skin but not crush the clove. Peel off skin. Rinse clove under running water.
    5. Prepare and heat brine
    ­ Mix 2 1/2 cups water, 2 1/2 cups vinegar and 1/4 cup canning salt in a large kettle.
    ­ Stir
    ­ Bring to boil
    6. Fill jars
    ­ Use jar lifter to remove jars from canner pouring water from jars back into the canner.
    ­ Place hot jars upside down on a towel or cooling rack.
    ­ Add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne or red pepper flakes, 1 head of dill and 1 garlic clove to each pint jar.
    ­ Using clean hands, vertically pack the beans into the jar.
    ­ Ladle brine into hot jars using a funnel or jar filler.
    ­ Fill to 1/2 inch from top of jar (this is called headspace).
    ­ Insert a plastic utensil to remove trapped air bubbles. (Don’t use metal as it can scratch the glass increasing risk for breakage).
    ­ Re-adjust headspace to 1/2 inch, if needed, by adding more brine.
    ­ Wipe top of the jar rim with a damp clean paper towel
    ­ Remove lid from box and place on jar.
    Apply screw band, finger tight. Do not over tighten.
    7. Load the canner
    ­ Place filled jars in canner one at a time using a jar lifter. Make sure the jar lifter is securely positioned below the neck of the jar. Keep the jar upright at all times. Tilting the jar could cause food to spill into the sealing area of the lid.
    ­ Add more boiling water, if needed, so the water level is at least one inch above the jar tops. (For process times over 30 minutes, the water level should be 2 inches above the jars).
    ­ Turn the heat setting to its highest position, cover the canner with its lid and heat until the water boils vigorously. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle rolling boil.
    ­ Set timer. Process pints for 10 minutes.
    ­ Add more boiling water during the process, if needed, to keep the water level 1-2 inches above the jar tops.
    ­ If the water stops boiling at any time during the process, turn the heat on its highest setting, bring the water back to a vigorous boil, and begin the timing of the process over from the beginning (using the total original process time).
    8. Unload the canner
    ­ When timer rings, turn off heat and remove cover.
    ­ Wait 5 minutes before removing jars to prevent ‘spill overs’ and ensure good seals.
    ­ Using a jar lifter, remove the jars one at a time, being careful not to tilt the jars.
    ­ Place jars directly onto a towel or cake cooling rack, leaving at least one inch of space between the jars during cooling.
    9. Cool and store
    ­ Let the jars sit undisturbed while they cool, 12 to 24 hours. Do not tighten ring bands on the lids or push down on the center of the flat meta

ThunderLund78

Did green beans this year for the first time and am VERY satisfied with this recipe:

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2018/09/10/spicy-pickled-green-beans

It should work exactly the same for asparagus.

I will say that I used big mouth quart jars and I found I needed to double the liquid brine, but good on the rest of the quantities on the garlic, dill, etc.

These are very garlicky with just the right amount of spice (at least for me) and they remain crunchy.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I never had much luck using dill seed but the one time I had dill growing and cut some of it off to put in the jars and it was a lot better even though the plants were small

Brad Dimond

I never had much luck using dill seed but the one time I had dill growing and cut some of it off to put in the jars and it was a lot better even though the plants were small

Fresh dill is definitely the way to go.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jeremy wrote:</div>

Fresh dill is definitely the way to go.

I freeze fill and use as needed, works that way too. But I agree the real dill is the best for canning and pickling.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Denny Os Pickled Asparagus 1st
    4/28/2019 1st attempt.
    I made approx 4 lbs in 5 pint jars.
    Boil and dissolve
    4 cups water
    4 cups apple cider vinegar (5% acidity)
    1/2 cup canning salt
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    Add to pint jars
    1 to 2 cloves garlic (smashed to remove the skin)
    1/4 tsp dill seed
    1/4 tsp coriander seed
    1/4 tsp yellow mustard seed
    1/4 tsp crushed peppers (10,000 btu)
    1 to 2 Tbsp pickling spice
    Boil water, vinegar, salt and sugar till well dissolved.
    Cut spear to jar height short by a one inch
    Put spices in pint jar and very tightly pack spears in sterilized jar.
    (Edit added the next line)
    Pour hot liquid over contents to within 1/2″ of rim.
    Apply sterilized flat and tightened ring.
    Process in hot water bath for 12 min.
    Remove jars and set to cool.
    ———————————————————-
    2nd time, 3/19/2020
    With approx 6 lbs (6 bunches 3/8″ diameter)
    5 pints hot water bath
    I did the recipe above and add:
    3 whole cloves
    1/4 tsp cumin seed
    1 qt hot liquid and not processed to put in fridg when cooled a bit added:
    6 cloves
    1/2 tsp cumin

The recipe for the last Qt jar that I did not process and just refered it was the Very Best of mine so far because the crunch is still there and minor shirviling up.
    ThunderLund78

Should point out that I used dried dill weed, not seeds. Worked awesome.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.