Phillips/Costco Hearing AIDS

• 3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Anybody have any experience with them. Costco used to carry name brands, then just sold their own Kirkland brand (which I heard had lots of problems) and now all new brands I’ve never heard of. I’ve read good things about their aids made by Phillips but only remember that brand as junk when I was younger. The ones I had from BC/BS I’ve never been impressed with. The Phillips ones have great reviews. Anybody tried them?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My Father has the Costco ones. He has only had them for about 6 months though. He has the over the ear/wire versions.

I have a Miracle Ear version myself, in my left ear. Its very expensive. My health insurance paid for 65% of it last August. I’d recommend it if you can afford it. I’m paranoid about losing it though so I added it to my insurance policy just in case.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Seems like there’s a ton of Bluetooth aids on the market. I’m interested in knowing if they are any better then the standard aid for background noise.

I haven’t looked into any aid, but the time is coming.

In the past, the FW and I would misunderstand what each other was saying. IE She would say “did you put the toilet seat down” and I would say “we have plenty of toilet paper”. Now we just don’t hear each other at times.

mojogunter

I know a quite a few people that have hearing aids. It sounds like the big difference between the cheap and expensive is how well they eliminate the background noise.

Seems like there’s a ton of Bluetooth aids on the market. I’m interested in knowing if they are any better then the standard aid for background noise.

I haven’t looked into any aid, but the time is coming.

In the past, the FW and I would misunderstand what each other was saying. IE She would say “did you put the toilet seat down” and I would say “we have plenty of toilet paper”. Now we just don’t hear each other at times.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It sounds like the big difference between the cheap and expensive is how well they eliminate the background noise.

My dad (in 2005) and FIL in 2022 both received a set from the VA. I don’t recall the retail price but $2k each rings a bell.
    They both hated them and would rather go without then wear them.

IDK, how much does a person have to spend for “good” aids?

haleysgold
    SE MN

I’ll be following this close.
    Background noise any place like a bar, restaurant, any indoor, probably outdoor too, and I can hardly hear the person sitting next me.
    If the music is playing, forget it.
    Tilting my better hearing ear and asking what is getting old.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My wife used to work at Starkey and gave me the rundown on this as of a few years ago. Basically the Costco ones are sound amplifiers with few or no customizable fittings or settings, which might be sufficient for a lot of people. The Starkey or other traditional/longtime hearing aid brands usually are custom fit to your ear by an audiologist, with more technology built in i.e. linked to phone/tv and designed to pick up spoken word over background noise.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

I am on my second pair of hearing aids sold by Costco. I had the first pair for 4 years and now the second pair for 2 years. I would highly recommend Costco. They are always there to help with no charge to you if you have questions or problems.I have a small device I hook to my TV to make it Bluetooth. I then pair my hearing aids to it and have the sound transferred to my aids.I can now hear and understand TV viewing.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Ah yes. TV is another one I can’t hear. I miss a lot.
    Nice tip. I’ll be looking at the Bluetooth options to pair with my TV.

Keep em coming!

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

My dad (in 2005) and FIL in 2022 both received a set from the VA. I don’t recall the retail price but $2k each rings a bell.

Brian I find that interesting. The VA set me up with hearing aids and I love them. They are simple to use and work well for me. The brand they chose based on the hearing test was the Opitcon More 1. They are Bluetooth and adjustable through an app. I do not use the Bluetooth because the notifications from texts and phone calls drives me crazy especially when there is a fish on the other line.

mojogunter

I believe the one guy with the high end hearing aids said they were if I remember right in the 4k per ear range. He did say that they were bluetooth and he would link them to the TV and could change settings with his phone.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>
    It sounds like the big difference between the cheap and expensive is how well they eliminate the background noise.

IDK, how much does a person have to spend for “good” aids?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I believe the one guy with the high end hearing aids said they were if I remember right in the 4k per ear range. He did say that they were bluetooth and he would link them to the TV and could change settings with his phone.

I can confirm all of this with the model I have from Miracle Ear. This is why I added it to my insurance policy. I only have one, but if you had two like most people who need them, you’d be walking around with $8 grand worth of head gear on, and that is kind of mind boggling.

Easiest way to avoid this problem is just to protect your hearing before it gets damaged. Wish I would have taken more precautions when I was younger. My left ear is permanently damaged because of 25 years of gunfire. I shoot right handed and my right ear is covered up, but my left ear is exposed.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Forgot to mention pairing with my phone.It’s the only way I will make phone calls. Phone calls are hands free. Just tap the ear and talk with the phone in your pocket. The aids have a built in mike. These hearing aids were $1500.00 with 3 year full warranty.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

My left ear is permanently damaged because of 25 years of gunfire. I shoot right handed and my right ear is covered up, but my left ear is exposed.

That’s called shooter’s ear, Gimruis. I found out I have it also after ~50 years of hunting. Wished I would have listened to the tech who did my hearing test in 2015 who detected some loss of high frequency in the left ear (I shoot right handed). She said if you only wear one ear plug put in your left ear, opposite the gun. The right ear is protected some by it’s proximity to the right shoulder. Now my left ear has lost enough that I would benefit from a hearing aid in that ear but I’m not quite “there” yet. I plan on getting custom fit hearing protection for this fall.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

FYI Neither of the two aids I spoke about were bluetooth.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS closed captioning is my friend although it’s not as good as hearing it in the first place!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

My wife used to work at Starkey and gave me the rundown on this as of a few years ago. Basically the Costco ones are sound amplifiers with few or no customizable fittings or settings, which might be sufficient for a lot of people. The Starkey or other traditional/longtime hearing aid brands usually are custom fit to your ear by an audiologist, with more technology built in i.e. linked to phone/tv and designed to pick up spoken word over background noise.

they are NOT amplifiers. They take programming like all good brands do. Starkey hearing aids are very low on the customer satisfaction scales. Just about all hearing aids these days are Bluetooth. If you’ve never been down this road with hearing aids a lot of you guys are falling for those old wives tales and should do a little research. Don’t just go blindly by these things until you know what they do.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

they are NOT amplifiers. They take programming like all good brands do. Starkey hearing aids are very low on the customer satisfaction scales. Just about all hearing aids these days are Bluetooth. If you’ve never been down this road with hearing aids a lot of you guys are falling for those old wives tales and should do a little research. Don’t just go blindly by these things until you know what they do.

Sorry if that upset you, I was just sharing what I was told about 3 years ago. I’d assume things have changed since then, and also said the Costco ones might be sufficient for a lot of people. Thankfully I am a long ways off of needing them, and my parents have been happy with their Starkeys.

Umy
    South Metro

I really need something too. If we ask the kids to put on captions one more time when watching a movie they’re probably gonna beat me to death with the remote. Too many guns and music at the “if I can’t feel it it’s not loud enough ” level.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I’m not upset, sorry I sounded it. A Costco store that charges $1600 sells o probably 40+ sets per week. The private practice person has all the expense of an office, mailings, tire kickers, sales calls and any other promotion they do to sell maybe 2 or 3 sets a month. Costco is second only to the US govt in sets issued. I did a ton of research and even had former guest in a hotel I owned that repped for 6 companies tell me Costco is driving the small guy out of business fast. Not sure if that’s good or bad but it’s a fact. The little guy had to make a phenomenal markup. Don’t listen to old wife’s tales.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

My Dad is on his second Costco pair. The first ones were 6 years old and he liked them. He now has Phillips rechargeable and likes them. I know it makes a huge difference when he wears them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Interesting. Checked the google reviews on Starkey and it showed 4.5

The National Council on Aging did a review on Costco’s lines.

NCA Hearing Aid Review

Phillips look pretty good too.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Brian, I was going by Consumers Reports ratings which have Phillips in second highest spot and Starkey in 15th. I don’t think any of the top brands are bad, different brands work better for individual hearing losses. Starkey is definitely a top brand. I was extremely happy to hear that Phillips wasn’t the old cheap radio people the way they made junk.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was extremely happy to hear that Phillips wasn’t the old cheap radio people the way they made junk.

LOL! My nose turned up too until I read about them. waytogo

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.