Pets in VRBOs

• stevenoak

We rent vacation rental since we sold our motor home 10 years ago. Now that we are retired it’s over 3 months out of the year. Houses, cabins and houseboats We and our dog, a Yellow Lab a pure 5-star rating with VRBO and several personal references. I owned, maintained and rented residential and commercial property for 30 years. My biggest complaint was from our Florida house. The landlord lived 8 hours away. I was always fixing minor repairs, so he didn’t have to have it done. He always told me I didn’t have to do that, you’re on vacation. But told him I fixed something every day of my life since I was a kid. I can’t just stop.
    Anyway, this year we are seeing a huge number of pet friendly rentals limiting to 20# or 50# dogs. I don’t get the big dog thing. To turn away an 80# Lab that sleeps 16 hours a day. Doesn’t get on any furniture or chew on anything. To take a yappy poodle. I’ve been bit by 3 or 4 dogs; they were all under 30#. Not sure if VRBO is suggesting this or what.

Ripjiggen

Seems kind of silly but I doubt someone is going to come weigh your lab. If they say something just say last time we weighed him he was 50lbs. They don’t need to know that was x years ago. jester

MX1825

Steve MOST people have no idea on your Lab’s weight, unless they are a dog owner.

A couple friends of mine built an 18 unit apartment building a few years back. They put a #20 weight limit on dogs. When I told him my Vizsla was 42 lbs. so I’d never be a renter he couldn’t believe my dogs weight.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Steve if the owner is’nt next door your dog is whatever weight he needs to be.I thought everyone knew you don’t weigh as much online as you do in person.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Dogs just seem like an all or nothing endeavor for allowing them or not. If they allow up to 50# dogs, I’d not hesitate to take any well trained dog.

If I was renting something out, it’d be 0 dogs at any time, under any circumstances. For every truly trained dog that doesn’t go on furniture and always listens……there are 10 who are “trained” which means they might sit for a treat and otherwise wreak havoc with owners who have no control

stevenoak

What gets me is a lot say “pets” under #20. So, are we talking a male cat with claws, that will mark anything another cat touched? A small dog that barks 18 hours a day. Maybe a pet raccoon or possum or python. I’ve read. Over 50% of retirees travel with pets.
    3/4 of the places we rent. We pay an extra cleaning fee. usually about $80 for a cabin, $200 for a house. We usually tip the cleaning lady $50, places we stay that are good to us. Dog is not allowed in any of the bedrooms. One bedroom we just put bags tubs bottled water and extra stuff. To me if you are paying a $150 normal cleaning fee plus $50 pet fee for a 2- or 3-bedroom house. You shouldn’t know a dog was there. The only way you would know is if they don’t completely clean between renters. Person that cleans the house usually shows up in a 25-year-old car. Has a bucket of cleaning rags and uses the vacuum and cleaning supplies at the house. All this paying over $5000 a month rent.
    Maybe I should tell them to ask my wife what she weighs. Then we could spend the month in County jail for free.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

“Pet Policy: We prefer that you leave your pets at home, but if that is not possible there is an $95/week or $20/day charge per animal. All pets must be leashed, cleaned up after, and attended at all times. They are not allowed to be kept in the cabin alone unless inside a kennel. Guests are financially responsible for all damage caused by their pet.”

What I don’t get is the difference if a person has one or two dogs along. The cabins need to be cleaned exactly the same either way.
    Maybe the first sentence explains it.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

The wife and I have stayed in places that were cleaner after we left with the dog. The dog went around and cleaned up all the food crumbs that were on the carpet by the walls and couch edges. doah

stevenoak

For years we found cabin and house rentals agreed to dogs to get more renters, back when vacancies were common. Cabin we rent 20 days a year waived the pet fee after we booked twice a year, every year now charges us again. Read in a travel magazine, over 50% of retired travelers travel with pets. For us, leaving him for over 2 months isn’t an option. Besides he’s my fishing buddy. We have no problem paying extra cleaning charges. Also overcompensating we have been told we leave rentals cleaner than most. Some only allow in certain cabins. Honestly in over 40 years of traveling. A drunk fishing buddy that lost multiple card games did more damage in one night. Than our dogs have in 30 some years. The house we rented in Florida for the last 5 years has been sold. But I think a few dog hairs was a small price to pay. For 62 days straight rent with no vacancy gaps. And half a dozen things fixed that they hadn’t got to was acceptable. Speaking with property owners. Drunks, children and A holes in general are more of a problem than pets. More than anything, like lake cabins up north. More and more rentals are being bought for permanent residences. Plus traveling abroad being less desirable or possible. Lowering the number of available rentals. Think along with rent doubling, they can just be pickier.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.