Personal Favor Please

• Ripjiggen

Yeah I’ll be the first to admit I got a little fiesty after I posted My suggestion about current situations going on in the world. I’m sure this was at least directed somewhat to me and we’ll warranted. I’ve been a member for like 18 years, and for some reason I let current affairs get under my skin and blasted out about it.

I apologize to the IDO members and to “Ripjiggen” for my aggressive comments.

All good in the hood here. toast

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I realize that this is a outdoors web site. That said I don’t mind and actually enjoy some of the political post. There is far more going on in this world than just hunting and fishing. I know there are plenty of other sites to discuss political issues but I’d rather hear the opinions from other outdoors men and women. Different views are what makes this country what it is. If we all thought and believed the same way on all issues it would be a boring world. I’m not so sure about the MOST here don’t want to talk political issues from time to time. I just have a hard time understanding why those people who are not interested can not just Skip the post and move on. Its easy enough to determine what post are political and what ones are not. Rather than just skip them and move on they read them and then often get involved in them. when they see something different from their views, they then complain and say that they don’t want to see any more political post. Why not simply skip them. I do think once people start attacking people personally then its time to get shut down. I’m fine either way. I just wish there was some consistency on the issue. Several Mod’s have even posted opinions in some of the political post.

OG Net_Man

The boredom I encountered from the many posts of barotrauma is what drove me to politics. crazy

But thank you for the wisdom.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

No worries. But Immigration and Putin did not have any underlying outdoor related news. The current post about Mille Lacs Walleye limits is somewhat political, but is important info for outdoor related discussion. See the difference? IDO is not a perfect world. And moderating is not a perfect science.

Seriously!?!

If these people are crossing the border on an electric motor powered raft, I’d really want to know what size battery they’re using and if it was a lithium. As for Putin, who here hasn’t ever thought about traveling to Russia to fish Lake Baikal? It would be nice to stay informed about what’s happening over there in case I decide to go. I mean honestly, it would be cool if IDO made a reboot to fish some of the bodies of water on the other side of the world.

Gitchi Gummi

agreed. everyone just be nice to your neighbor like this!

Riverrat

Those guys look like they enjoy the outdoors, and apple pie very much. I’m a little concerned about the picture that looks like they might be making voodoo dolls out of yarn. Voodoo has ruined many a good day of fishing.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That lasted long coffee

jwellsy

The timing of this thread says more than the thread does. As the political pendulum swings back and forth, silence is being complicit. History and the Bible are full of examples of ignoring evil, calling good evil and evil good.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The timing of this thread says more than the thread does. As the political pendulum swings back and forth, silence is being complicit. History and the Bible are full of examples of ignoring evil, calling good evil and evil good.

That’s way overdramatizing the extremely simple point of JJ’s message, which is essentially saying “sometimes you guys are d#cks to each other, and that usually happens because politics are involved. So stop talking about things related to politics…on a fishing website.”

big_g
    Isle, MN

Happy Presidents day all !!! No matter who you call President !!! tongue woot bow

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Yonkers! Same old same old. I stopped visiting because I contributed to this. I saw this was wrong. But still I see some want to control the conversation beyond what is relevant to the out doors. Sharing is awesome, you all walked me through many personal things and information.
    Gosh! There is a lot of great people here. Bk included.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Keep locking the threads that bring the most activity and watch the site die. Let the threads be and ignore them if you don’t like it. If you’re skin is too thin to handle some good political debate then social media is not for you.

dirtywater

If anything there have been more political-themed threads since this one requesting a personal favor of not posting them. Kinda ironic.

I just stay out of them completely now but don’t understand how so many of you can be so obsessed. Take a freaking deep breath. Go fishing. Take yourself wayyy less seriously. Go for a walk in the woods or a drive with the windows down. Drink a beer or 10. Do some pulltab therapy. Whatever floats your boat. But if being angry and self righteous about immigrants, crime, political corruption, etc, is what floats your boat then dang, I feel bad for ya.

picklerick
    Central WI

Don’t feel bad for me. I’m none of those things. Disagreeing with others is a good thing if done civilly. “Ask your President what flavor ice cream” and “send money to your billionaire President” is funny to me. I saw a pretty entertaining discussion and I’m surprised it was locked since Jon Jordan had actually posted there. I’d be a lot more direct and sprinkle my conversation with profanities and ridicule if we were discussing things in person. It doesn’t mean I’m obsessed, angry, or self righteous at all. See my Homemade Bacon topic and all my What’s for Supper and 2023/2024 Gardens posts for other content from me. I don’t see why people can’t skip over a topic they don’t like.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I don’t see why people can’t skip over a topic they don’t like.

…or just make a comment and move on without feeling the need to change everyone’s minds. (Not you picklerick, the poster that felt the need to insult the member he didn’t agree with.)

-J.

picklerick
    Central WI

I thought it was pretty tame, but pointed, disagreements. I may have missed specifically what you’re referring to, or didn’t see it as an insult. There have definitely been some direct insults and gross generalizations in the past by, dare I say, most of us that were involved at the end of that one. I understand why those get dusted. I’m more interested in why someone disagrees with me than changing their mind. I don’t mind getting poked at for my opinions because sometimes I’m wrong. Sometimes, I just want to see if anyone else thinks that way when we disagree.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It was me. I was the one insulting people. I was warned. I apoligize to all that were insulted.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I thought it was pretty tame, but pointed, disagreements. I may have missed specifically what you’re referring to, or didn’t see it as an insult. There have definitely been some direct insults and gross generalizations in the past by, dare I say, most of us that were involved at the end of that one. I understand why those get dusted. I’m more interested in why someone disagrees with me than changing their mind. I don’t mind getting poked at for my opinions because sometimes I’m wrong. Sometimes, I just want to see if anyone else thinks that way when we disagree.

yea like not using Miracle whip…… how dare you!!!!!!! whistling devil rotflol

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Sorry John, but unless you dust posts like the one about parks going back to the tribes, the content is always going to be headed towards the garbage. It’s pretty obvious that this boils the blood of about 90% of your participants. It can’t help but go bad.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Personally I’m very pro-free speech and feel like I learn a lot from people who disagree with me, and I wish there was less moderating across all social media. I understand, and have seen, things turn into a dumpster fire quickly, and understand it’s not in every pages best interest to allow it, which is their prerogative. I think the best compromise is deleting comments with a warning, then giving time outs from the site if it persists, followed by full bans for the people who can’t play nice and resort to personal attacks. I also understand I am just one member, with no financial interest in the site, and you will do what you want.

Just wanted to share my opinion on the topic, as I think it’s more difficult to thread the needle on what is general politics vs what is outdoors related political issues, than having a debate respectful motto.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.