Personal Best

• Umy
    South Metro

I am sure there are mitigating factors but this is how it went down.
    4′ of water, on a point, 8:15 am on Saturday morning, 67.4 degree water, shade and dappled sunlight, sand beds everywhere underneath, under the lift you see in the background.
    Pumpkin green with red flakes, 4.5″ tube bait, number 3 EWG hook, no weight. Missed the first tap. Put it back under the pontoons and game on. Came out of the water twice and got it in the net ASAP. 22″ long on my stick.
    Got home and measured a 5 lb dumbbell, showed 5.24 on the same scale, so, showing 11.08 on the scale I’ll let you decide.
    Only person who saw it, picture sucks but there it is. Caught several others that morning under docks and laydowns on the North side of the lake ( almost all in the shade) facing a SW wind. Should have used the video button on the Iphone but wasn’t thinking, didn’t want her to die so anxious to get it back in the water.
    Pretty cool, pretty fun!

Attachments:
    1. Big-bass-weight-scaled.jpg

2. Big-Bass-scaled.jpg

Umy
    South Metro

Wouldn’t take my pictures the first time – how’s this?

Attachments:
    1. Big-bass-weight-1-scaled.jpg

2. Big-Bass-1-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL, 11.08 pounds?! You’re almost 3 pounds heavier than the state record.

I have that exact same scale, the clip works great instead of the stupid metal hook you see on most.

Great fish, 5.25 pounder sounds good, or a 22 incher works too. Probably just done spawning. Either way, congrats on the new PB.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Are you suggesting a 22″ bass weighs 11 LBS.

I see under the scale, the ring connecting the load cell to the grip is binding with the scale, creating a lever arm that likely doubled the weight of the object you are weighing.
    (Plastic thing pushing on bottom of scale, at an angle/binding, creating absolute inaccurate reading)

Nice fish though.

YOu should be able to get an app for you phone that lets you take time lapse photos. Set your phone up to snap pictures every 2 seconds (or whatever interval you choose) and it’ll continually snap photos of you and your catch. Just need to find a way/mount to hold your phone stationary.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I see under the scale, the ring connecting the load cell to the grip is binding with the scale, creating a lever arm that likely doubled the weight of the object you are weighing.

Ah yes, good eye. Missed that earlier.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

5lbs probably 11 absolutely not

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s a pig! Probably in the 5-6 lbs range, but a still a tank, congrats!

Umy
    South Metro

See, I knew there would be some circumstance – told my kid over text ” I did not catch a state record”.
    Gonna try weighing the dumb bell again making sure the ring and lever arm are correct.
    It was a BIG fish fish and exciting as hell to haul it in though. I knew in my heart that it could not weigh that much but, you get excited you know.
    22″ inches – needed new underwear when I saw her in the net!
    Thanks for the tip!

Oh, FYI. I tried using Video on the next fish on Sunday. Put the camera in the cup holder and then use the selfie mode in video and you can move around in the picture til you get the image you want. Run the video afterward and hit pause where you like the “view” and take a screen shot – worked great!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The weight may be off but it is still one nice fish. Congratulations.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Regardless of weight, awesome fish!

Just for a comparison, in Texas I got a 10#4oz largemouth post spawn that was 26-1/4” . The Texas state record is 25-1/2” @ 18#

Umy
    South Metro

Thanks everyone – I always learn something new on this site. It is my GO TO every morning before I start my day. Got a New Boat Fall of 2019. Between April and October of 2020 I went out 68 times and have been out 17 times this year already.
    Learning to fish again as I have not done much, if any, for at least 25 years.
    Thanks for all of the insight and help.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Great fish. I think those guessing in the 5.00-6.00 lb range are probably correct. Depending on the overall condition of the fish I would say a 22″ fish this time of the year will weigh about 5.5 lbs.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I always learn something new on this site. It is my GO TO every morning before I start my day.

I do the same thing. When I log onto my computer it automatically pulls up IDO before anything else starts up. Super easy to set up.

Create a short cut of IDO (like you don’t have one already) Save the short cut to your desktop.
    Press the Windows logo key + R, type shell:startup, then select OK. This opens the Startup folder.
    Drag the short cut to the Startup folder.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Very nice fish. I haven’t had a real good day or fish worth bragging about this year yet. Congratulations

Umy
    South Metro

Very nice fish. I haven’t had a real good day or fish worth bragging about this year yet. Congratulations

I have been having a ball- German ( Mankato), Tonka, Spring (Prior Lake) , Fish (Prior Lake), Washington (Mankato) Gull (N of Bemidji)
    My first Owl ever on Spring Lake – caught on a Choppo – kind of a “live kite” for a minute. Was able to get him in the boat, got the hook out of the web between his talons and pretty much none the worse for wear. They range from 1 ounce up to whatever the BIG bass was ) ( not sure the Owl was in season though…..)

Attachments:
    1. Spring-20214.jpg

2. Spring-2021-7-scaled.jpg

3. Spring-2021-6-scaled.jpg

4. Spring-2021-5-scaled.jpg

5. Spring-2021-3-scaled.jpg

6. Spring-2021-2.jpg

7. spring-2021-1-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Do you eat the Owl Cheeks? tongue

Umy
    South Metro

Do you eat the Owl Cheeks? tongue

Wasn’t sure of the best way to prepare it. Spent the first two minutes freaking out I was gonna arrested or something. Once I calmed down and climbed off the ledge common sense took over. He dropped into the water and I got him in the net, put on my Clam gloves and grabbed him from behind around the neck and kinda covered him and he calmed down. The barb had not gone through the web so he was probably fine. Put him on the back end of the boat and he just kinda stared at us for about a minute – then hopped off onto the dock and stared while we backed away.

Umy
    South Metro

Man, they are ALLLLLL feathers too!

Umy
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Umy wrote:</div>
    I always learn something new on this site. It is my GO TO every morning before I start my day.

I do the same thing. When I log onto my computer it automatically pulls up IDO before anything else starts up. Super easy to set up.

Create a short cut of IDO (like you don’t have one already) Save the short cut to your desktop.
    Press the Windows logo key + R, type shell:startup, then select OK. This opens the Startup folder.
    Drag the short cut to the Startup folder.

DONE!!
    Thanks

Umy
    South Metro

Regardless of weight, awesome fish!

Just for a comparison, in Texas I got a 10#4oz largemouth post spawn that was 26-1/4” . The Texas state record is 25-1/2” @ 18#

Wow, if mine was 5-6 lbs can’t even fathom what a 10 lb would be like!

Jay Tegeder

Awesome fish! My biggest largemouth bass in Minnesota were 21 and a 21 1/2 inch brutes. One in 1970 when I was 12 and the other in 2019. My biggest smallmouth was 21 inches in 1980. Still trying to land bigger bass. I caught three 19s last year and one this year so far.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.