Performance Rain Gear?

• eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

I am tired of getting wet, LOL. So this year I plan on investing into a set of quality rain gear.

I have found a half dozen quality brands and I can’t decide which to go with.

I want a set of bibs and a jacket. I have decided that I do not want insulated since I usually will only be using it in warmer weather.

Here are the brands I am considering:
    HUK
    Simms
    Scheels
    Bass Pro Shops
    Blackfish

There seems to be limited reviews on this stuff and handful at best on each. So if you have used this stuff would you avoid any or recommend one?

Thanks for your help and stay dry )

Pauleye
    Onamia

Following!
    My guideware has more duct tape then goretex!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Some of those brands will get you for upwards of $1000 for jacket and bibs. For that price they have to be good, right?

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

For sure, my current pants and coat were under $150 and after a while in the rain I might as well not have any gear on its so heavy and takes forever to dry out. I figure 200-300 per piece is what I am willing to spend.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There was a post a while back for Carhart rain gear. No one had any experience with it but it looked pretty nice. Nice price too.

https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-new-men/Storm-Defender-Angler-Jacket-102990

https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-bibs-coveralls-overalls/Storm-Defender-Angler-Bib-102984

I did a little google research and found the reviews on the stuff to be very good. This is what I’m thinking of getting.

Ripjiggen

Nice thing about cabellas stuff was life time warranty. I just took back a ten year old suite last year for their newest line. Not sure bass pro will do the same anymore.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Not on your list but…. I have a Gill suit and absolutely love it. Also have a lighter weight Striker rain jacket and it has performed very well. Just a couple more options for you. That black fish gear is supposed to be pretty good.

martyb

Use what the commercial guys use, Grundens (and their subsidiary Gage). It is rainwear, not a fashion statement.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

8 years ago I bought a Simms Guide jacket. Other than putting a hole in it with a Clouser Minnow, it’s been 100 percent waterproof and reliable. I do wash it with Nik Wax a couple of times a year. One of the best pieces of gear I own.

S.R..

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I was going to point to a bib and jacket I bought from BPS last spring. I don’t see them now. Maybe I’m not looking in the right place. They were over 200 apiece and the biggest Item that I likes was the bibs zippered the leg clear up to the leg/hip joint! Great spring fall gear, I have some light weight nylon gear for needed summer blow-ups.

Re waterproofing the exterior really helps the water to bead up and roll off the fabric as they grow a few years older in time.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Found them,
    Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier GORE-TEX Rain gear for Men (Fleece jacket liner was sold separately, I did not buy)

Jacket

Bibs

hillhiker
    SE MN

I just expensed a pair of the Simms challenger rain gear to work. It’s what most of my coworkers run at this point, and they speak very highly of it. We’ll see how they are when I get to test them out. It will be interesting to see how they hold up for the price. As a bonus they should be able to double as camo for rainy sits in the tree stand!

I did have a Carhart jacket for a few years which was very good, but it was heavy and very hot during the summer. You really don’t seem to hear much about them for as good as they are, and reasonably priced at the time anyway. The last pair I had were sort of mid-grade Frogg Toggs. They were ok, but after 3 years of staying mostly dry they all of a sudden just stopped shedding water at all.

gonefishin

Hi I am also looking at new rain gear to replace my Cabela’s Guide Wear with Goretex which is about 10 years old. Leaks like a sieve. In talking with Cabela’s I was expecting then to back the rain gear as Coretex should never leak. However they are not backing. Looking at Scheels as they have the full length zipper on the legs which to me is a requirement for quick on/off with out having to take off footwear. Also a more reasonable price than the major brands.

Appears Cabelas backing of their products has greatly declined since being taken over by BP. I once used to pretty much 100% shop at Cabelas but have switched over to Scheels. Do you know that Scheels will price match in the store? Find any item on your phone for a cheaper price including shipping and Scheels will match.

MnPat1

Hi I am also looking at new rain gear to replace my Cabela’s Guide Wear with Goretex which is about 10 years old. Leaks like a sieve. In talking with Cabela’s I was expecting then to back the rain gear as Coretex should never leak. However they are not backing. Looking at Scheels as they have the full length zipper on the legs which to me is a requirement for quick on/off with out having to take off footwear. Also a more reasonable price than the major brands.

Appears Cabelas backing of their products has greatly declined since being taken over by BP. I once used to pretty much 100% shop at Cabelas but have switched over to Scheels. Do you know that Scheels will price match in the store? Find any item on your phone for a cheaper price including shipping and Scheels will match.

Your rain gear leaks because you didn’t take proper care of the fabric. Breathable rain gear requires washing and coating at least once a year. Nikwax for washing and you can use spray on coatings.
    If you want rain gear that never leaks and doesn’t need to be coated you need a rubber coat.

gonefishin

MnPat1, how the hell do you know how I took care of my rain gear!!!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Yep, I’m also not a fan of breathable rain gear. If you lean against or sit on it, it will leak. If your just fishing, I’d go 100% pvc/polyester rain gear.

Also, I don’t get light weight rain gear. If you can feel the cold rain, it’s no different then getting wet.

If I’m hunting, that’s different. I’ll sacrifice 100% dryness for mobility and comfort but for fishing, just get straight rubber!

B-man

Yep, I’m also not a fan of breathable rain gear. If you lean against or sit on it, it will leak. If your just fishing, I’d go 100% pvc/polyester rain gear.

Also, I don’t get light weight rain gear. If you can feel the cold rain, it’s no different then getting wet.

If I’m hunting, that’s different. I’ll sacrifice 100% dryness for mobility and comfort but for fishing, just get straight rubber!

Breathable rain gear is nice when there’s a good chance of rain but not an all-day soaker.

Yes, PVC is 100% waterproof (if the seams are good), but Goretex or similar is much more comfortable to wear.

Just like boats, rain gear comes with compromises.

Buffalo Fishhead

Has anyone tried the Helly Hansen Impertech rain gear lately? Years ago I had a Impertech jacket and pants that I wore for work and they kept me dry.

Buffalo Fishhead

Andrew C Brooks

Care instructions sometimes don’t work. I have a Carhartt storm safe and it seemed to be alright at first then after a couple weeks I found it would not exactly leak through, but the liner would become deaf enough to wear my shirt would begin feeling damp or wet…
    The instructions from Carhartt say only to wash and dry on low I called them when that did not work and asked about waterproofing product, and was told not to apply anything, that the water proofing was built into the fabric.
    I followed Carhartt’s instructions again, still had a problem. I sent it into them and they replaced it, claiming manufactured defect. But the replacement is having the same problem.
    I don’t know exactly how they would determine if they had a defect or if the customer had applied some product that was incompatible …

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

If you are looking for reliable low to mid price rain gear you may want to check out Frogg Toggs. I have been happy with a variety of their rain suits for many years. I also have probably a 10 yr old (if not more) set of Frabill F2 rain gear and no matter how hard it rains I have never gotten wet in them……Sims makes awesome rain gear also…..

Rick Janssen

If you are looking for reliable low to mid price rain gear you may want to check out Frogg Toggs. I have been happy with a variety of their rain suits for many years. I also have probably a 10 yr old (if not more) set of Frabill F2 rain gear and no matter how hard it rains I have never gotten wet in them……Sims makes awesome rain gear also…..

I have two sets of rain gear – the Frogg Toggs is what I wear in the summer if I don’t need to keep warm. They are great and not much money. I also feel like they are the most breathable. My other rain gear is more for colder weather. Try the Frogg Toggs. Since they are less money, you don’t mind replacing them once in awhile.

Andrew C Brooks

I live in the Southern US, keeping warm is not a problem (relatively); here these storms roll up quickly, with very heavy downpours, and high winds. Then afterwards several hours of extreme humidity so breathability would be top priority.
    Long ago, I had military Gore-Tex which I loved, but they are too expensive right now. The storm save seemed like a good alternative for only $125, though I wish that it had underarm zippers like the Gore-Tex did!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

The Carhartt rain gear catches my attention because they make work apparel. All their gear I own is tough as nails. It lasts so that might be something to keep in mind. I am going to have to find these in a store and give them a good checking out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I went with Simms a few years back because everything I had was too hot and never with me when I needed them. I tend to take out cold weather gear when it’s not needed, then replace it in the fall.

Simms has been good to me. Bib’s and jacket. Light weight and dry.

Andrew C Brooks

They are indeed well made, though as I said, I’m having some concerns about “waterproof”. I admit could partly be that the weather I’m putting it to could be just so severe, but I don’t see why it isn’t beading & rolling off… Maybe I need to wash it more often, even if it doesn’t look dirty?
    One thing I Do like a lot about it is plenty of large pockets… 3 exterior zipper pockets, & 2 large inside pockets with Velcro, one to each side. Hood has built in visor, face flaps, and drawstring & is detachable

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The Carhartt rain gear catches my attention because they make work apparel. All their gear I own is tough as nails. It lasts so that might be something to keep in mind. I am going to have to find these in a store and give them a good checking out.

I wear the carhartt stuff at work. I cut concrete I’m always in water and or getting sprayed. They have done me very well. I have no complaints besides my sweet duck tape and spray glue patch on my stomach area and above my boot. Rebar jumped out and but me when I was cutting footings off. 2 times in 1 day doah

Wade Ottman

If you are looking for something closer to PVC but don’t want the weight, Patagonia has a bib and jacket set in there workwear line that is supposed to be just as good as PVC but half the weight.

https://www.patagonia.com/workwear.html

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.