Perfect timing For

• river rat randy
    Hager City WI

The 4 fish limit.!! Cuz I have been on or around the sippi before i can remember. Now with this virus going around with a lot of people not working.The pressure on the river is like something i have never seen.! There is always a lot of fishing boats on river every spring. The in-flux of boats this spring is super huge. Way Way more boats than a “Normal Spring” by far. The pressure is way more than i ever seen on the sippi. All boat ramps parking lots are full an over flowing. A few days ago my son launched at Bay Point. He was there before 7am. when he arrived the main parking lot was full to overflowing. Plus the overflow lot had 25 to 30 rigs parked there. An he was 10th in line to launch. I drove by there around noon there was 50 or more rigs there Then. Spawning fish are taking a major shi! kicking this year. I have always been in favor of year around fishing. This year is exception to that rule. . . RRR

deertracker

Only a few more weeks until MN opener. The end is near.
    DT

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve steered clear of the crowds, and hopefully a few of the fish have as well. It’s been a perfect storm of a lot of people not working or working limited amounts, added to decent weather and not a ton of flooding that has created the crowds.

Hopefully COs are out enforcing the new limits and those fishing are practicing a selective harvest knowing enforcement is difficult with massive crowds.

On a side note, I’d still be in-favor of greatly extending some sort of fishing santcuary or no fishing area further below the dam. Every time I hear someone with limited river experience tell me “we nailed the saugers one after another but they were mostly shorts”, it’s easy to imagine a lot of eagle food floating down from the deep scour holes.

mojogunter

Luckily most don’t do very well down there.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I’ve steered clear of the crowds, and hopefully a few of the fish have as well. It’s been a perfect storm of a lot of people not working or working limited amounts, added to decent weather and not a ton of flooding that has created the crowds.

Hopefully COs are out enforcing the new limits and those fishing are practicing a selective harvest knowing enforcement is difficult with massive crowds.

On a side note, I’d still be in-favor of greatly extending some sort of fishing santcuary or no fishing area further below the dam. Every time I hear someone with limited river experience tell me “we nailed the saugers one after another but they were mostly shorts”, it’s easy to imagine a lot of eagle food floating down from the deep scour holes.

Amen to that! For years that has been the case during winter fishing into March… Let em spawn before they’re gone…

riverruns
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Amen to that! For years that has been the case during winter fishing into March… Let em spawn before they’re gone…

100% on all pools!! waytogo

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Been there last two saturdays and havn’t seen a co yet at baypoint checking for limits.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Been there last two saturdays and havn’t seen a co yet at baypoint checking for limits.

That’s too bad. Rules and regulations are only as good as their enforcement.

sji

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>casey walters wrote:</div>

That’s too bad. Rules and regulations are only as good as their enforcement.

Unfortunately this is true. Why is it there are always the few? Not sure how this affects the COs but on the wetland restoration projects the DNR personal have been told not to go out in the field.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not sure how this affects the COs but on the wetland restoration projects the DNR personal have been told not to go out in the field.

I spoke to the WI Water Patrol yesterday. They wrote 6 tickets in the Red Wing No Wake Zone.

Goodhue County Water Patrol came by. I didn’t see any CO’s but they’re kinda sneaking. )

My favorite Red Wing No Wake Violator….

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6677.jpeg

2. IMG_6682.jpeg

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sji wrote:</div>
    Not sure how this affects the COs but on the wetland restoration projects the DNR personal have been told not to go out in the field.

I spoke to the WI Water Patrol yesterday. They wrote 6 tickets in the Red Wing No Wake Zone.

Goodhue County Water Patrol came by. I didn’t see any CO’s but they’re kinda sneaking. )

My favorite Red Wing No Wake Violator….

Is it still a violation prior to the buoys being in for the year?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Is it still a violation when the buoys have not been put in yet for the year?

Yes. I got a warning my first time on Minnetonka in the fall after the buoy’s had been pulled, they were nice enough to give me a warning and a map so I could see where the No Wake Zones are.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

As Werm said, yes. It’s harder to enforce but if the No wake Zone is listed on a CG Map, it’s no wake marked or not.

PS Red Wing’s No Wake Zone has been marked as long as I can recall.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Most people I talked to out there the last three weekends have been struggling with only a handful doing ok.

The pool will be back to normal fishing pressure in about 12 days peace

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Thanks. That is what I thought. I should specify that I have always followed it because I know where they usually are. In the Prescott no wake I see it all the time too…A lot of people don’t respect it in the spring time. Sorry to change the topic.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Not an Iowa boat. whistling

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I can proudly say that none of the two dozen boats that blew through were from IA.

What bothers me is the Water Patrol said that 90% of the “wakers” are fishing boats. (Not too many tuna boats out yet but he was talking in general).

sji

I can proudly say that none of the two dozen boats that blew through were from IA.

What bothers me is the Water Patrol said that 90% of the “wakers” are fishing boats. (Not too many tuna boats out yet but he was talking in general).

Maybe they were out of Spam?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>

Maybe they were out of Spam?

And in a hurry in case they sold out before they got there.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Is it still a violation prior to the buoys being in for the year?

Sign above redwing on the shoreline is always present, and same with the sign on the bridge below prescott.

Every NO WAKE zone listed in the Mississippi River Guide is year round.

This spring in Prescott has been like one I’ve never seen with boats full throttle…and i have a view from my house. Lots of regular offenders. Waves don’t bother me, but it sets a bad example for sure.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.