Perch,eyes and gills!

• timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Dad and I headed west last Thursday for the long weekend in hopes of getting into some perch and bluegills and boy did we hit a homerun!
    We started Friday morning on a lake that had produced nice perch this time last year but ended up swinging and missing on that lake. We then changed lakes to go after giant bluegills and after a bit of searching with the graph we landed on a huge school of 9-11″ gills. We caught around 50-60 fish and kept 10 of the smaller ones for a fish fry that night. We used our Thorne bros power noodles and tripwires over the side of the boat and had a absolute riot for about 3 hours.

We headed back to the camper to fry fish Around 3:30 and we were back on the perch hunt at 5:45. The lake we chose was one we had never fished before. We had decided the easyist way to locate the perch was to troll cranks. We ran 2 lead rods and 2 flat lines with flicker shads and salmo hornets. The action was so fast it was hard to keep more than 2 rods in the water. There was 3 times where all 4 rods were in with perch flopping in the bottom of the boat. We had our 30 perch in 1.5 hours!
    We woke up early Saturday morning to head to the same lake with the plan to cast cranks for walleyes. Well that turned into the greatest plan ever! I started it off with a nice 18″ eye followed by a very nice 26″&28″ dad then stuck a pair of 26″ eyes and a 28″. We caught a bunch more fish from 25-27″ but we lost track of what was going on. The bite died down as soon as the wind stopped blowing so we decided to troll for perch again. It was pretty much the same as the day before with our 30 perch coming in about 2 hours.

Since we had so much fun the day before gill fishing we went back to that lake to see if they were still willing to bite. It took us much longer to find a school of gills than the day before but after we found then you almost had to try not to catch them!

Sunday we had the same game plan as Saturday cast cranks early and hope for walleyes and it worked just the same. We each had a couple eyes over 28″ and a bunch of them from 25-27″. Again the bite died when the wind lakes down so we packed it up and called it a awesome weekend!

Attachments:
    1. image10.jpg

2. image11.jpg

3. image9.jpg

4. image8.jpg

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Awesome report Tim….Tell Denis to smile, those are some nice fish! Gotta love the Dakotas!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

That was after telling him to smile. I should have taken video of us giggling like school girls catching those gills.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

that’s a sweet trip, looking at making a run up there soon, need some fish for a Sunday Football game and fish fry! I sent out a request to friend so if your inclined to give me a couple tips?

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Congrats Tim!!! Sounds like a great trip!!!

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.